E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

No turbo boost when hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Another option to consider is the EGR system, the exhaust gases which turn the turbine also provide the EGR flow. If the EGR valve is too open then there would not be enough exhaust gases to drive the turbine and build boost pressure. You would normally see loads of black smoke from the exhaust but if a DPF is fitted you may not.
I don't know how the egr valve could be too open as its a closed loop system
You could try removing the vacum supply to the EGR valve and drive for a while, you will get an CEL light on the dash but don't worry, the car should drive as normal.

Jason
Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nigelpritchard' post='804026' date='Feb 28 2009, 04:24 PM
Right here we go ,my car is a 530d 2004 54 plate and the problem is when the car engine is cold the car pulls and drives like it should ,but when after i do approx 3-4 miles the car just wont pull the turbo is not boosting ,i can hear the turbo spinning but no boost it has the electronic turbo actuator fitted and not the vacume type ,the dealer said its the turbo but im not convinced becouse the turbo works fine for the first 3-4miles ,also the throttle housing makes a funny squeeling noise when i open the car and the bonnets up i can hear it (is this supposed to happen just wondering is the throttle faulty and causing the problem with the turbo???
dear siir
i have a530 d 2004 54 plate ,have i bought your car?
when i reving i can hear funny sgueeling noise,i took car to bmw garage,they drive the car but they dont know,i only had car 2months ago
still i have onemore month warranty,im a taxi driver,which i cant not get a warranty
so please can you let me know what was the problem with your car
i had a diagnostic tes showed throttle valve fault ,they clear the fault to see if showes again ,we had week later but show every think ok
to me sound like some valve blocked .so please let me know ,if you fix the problem,i chance the oil breather but its not the problem
is turbo has a any valve? can any one help
Old 03-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nigelpritchard' post='804026' date='Feb 28 2009, 04:24 PM
Right here we go ,my car is a 530d 2004 54 plate and the problem is when the car engine is cold the car pulls and drives like it should ,but when after i do approx 3-4 miles the car just wont pull the turbo is not boosting ,i can hear the turbo spinning but no boost it has the electronic turbo actuator fitted and not the vacume type ,the dealer said its the turbo but im not convinced becouse the turbo works fine for the first 3-4miles ,also the throttle housing makes a funny squeeling noise when i open the car and the bonnets up i can hear it (is this supposed to happen just wondering is the throttle faulty and causing the problem with the turbo???
I had a friend who has the same problem. He could only drive for a bout 1-2 miles and the turbo does not work. Does your turbo work if you switch off the engine and restart it? His does... we did some experimenting and it turned out that his turbo fins were bent and there seems to be a 'SAFETY' mechanism which switches off the tubo when it sense there is something wrong with the turbo. It resets itself and activates the turbo again if you shut the engine.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cocy00' post='809052' date='Mar 6 2009, 07:38 AM
I had a friend who has the same problem. He could only drive for a bout 1-2 miles and the turbo does not work. Does your turbo work if you switch off the engine and restart it? His does... we did some experimenting and it turned out that his turbo fins were bent and there seems to be a 'SAFETY' mechanism which switches off the tubo when it sense there is something wrong with the turbo. It resets itself and activates the turbo again if you shut the engine.
hi siir
bmw garage said may be i got a oil feed pipe ripped or chage wastegate valve,i got turbo boost but when i reving make funny noies
some one said to change egr thermostat .is this valve conected to turbo at all?
i rang bmw parts and they said turbo got a electrick valve ,i lost whic valve i need to change
Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Members

Hi Nigel,

What happenened with this in the end, as I have the same problem with my 525d e61, and the problem does NOT go away if I restart engine after pulling over, no smoke, DPF fitted.

Thanks,