E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 09:45 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I'm sure brake clear is fine.
Damp with gas seems to indicate it got gas an no spark.
The following users liked this post:
MI-BMW (09-22-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 11:17 AM
New Members

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

I agree with twh (as usual). Looks like fuel isn't the problem. Oh well, at least it's an easy test to rule out 1/3 of the potential issues! ;-)

Reading above, I see where you replaced the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) with a non-OEM unit, and then said you were going to re-replace it with a(n) OEM VDO CPS. Did that happen? If so, where did you get it (there are a LOT of folks selling repackaged no-name parts in counterfeit boxes)? With a no-spark situation, the CPS is a common issue (from both a broken part, and from a non-OEM replacement perspective).

And of course, I suppose it goes without saying (though that NEVER stops me...) to check your work - make sure you didn't leave the CPS (or other important widget) unplugged / partially unplugged, etc.).
MI-BMW (09-22-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I had to read everything and at this point I'm not understanding why the car is not cranking. The only posible thing I can think of is the CAS and DME were unsynced. Nothing indicates a no start issue. Perform a CAS and DME sync to see if that solves your issue of the no start condition.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:08 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by twh
I'm sure brake clear is fine.
Damp with gas seems to indicate it got gas an no spark.
I checked for spark with a cheap spark tester, one of those with a light bulb in it. The bulb flashes when I crank the engine so I assumed it does have spark. Is it possible for my spark indicator light to be flashing even if I don’t have a spark reaching the plugs?
Old 09-22-2023, 03:54 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by habbyguy
I agree with twh (as usual). Looks like fuel isn't the problem. Oh well, at least it's an easy test to rule out 1/3 of the potential issues! ;-)

Reading above, I see where you replaced the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) with a non-OEM unit, and then said you were going to re-replace it with a(n) OEM VDO CPS. Did that happen? If so, where did you get it (there are a LOT of folks selling repackaged no-name parts in counterfeit boxes)? With a no-spark situation, the CPS is a common issue (from both a broken part, and from a non-OEM replacement perspective).

And of course, I suppose it goes without saying (though that NEVER stops me...) to check your work - make sure you didn't leave the CPS (or other important widget) unplugged / partially unplugged, etc.).
I did replace the crank position sensor as well as both cam position sensors. I got them from RockAuto. The website listed the brand as VDO/Continental. When they arrived the boxes were labeled Continental. According to the FCP Euro and ECS Tuning websites, VDO is OE and Continental is OEM. Do you know if one of these brands is better than the other?

And I did check all the wires and plugs I could think of, including the crank/cam sensor wires and plugs, multiple times. 😂 I know how easy it is to miss one, though.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:58 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I had to read everything and at this point I'm not understanding why the car is not cranking. The only posible thing I can think of is the CAS and DME were unsynced. Nothing indicates a no start issue. Perform a CAS and DME sync to see if that solves your issue of the no start condition.
The car is cranking completely fine, it just isn’t starting. Could that still be a CAS-DME sync issue?
Old 09-22-2023, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Yes
MI-BMW (09-23-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 08:38 AM
New Members

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

CPS sounds like it's perfectly fine (rockauto is a legit source for parts, and the Conti is a fine brand). I think Sean is onto the most likely remaining source of the problem.
MI-BMW (09-23-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 02:37 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2012 BMW X5

I don't believe cranking but no start would be a cass problem. There is usually no crank. When you found the correct hole for the flywheel, did you adjust the cams at top dead? Both intake and exhaust lobes would be pointing out away from the cam. It matters that you used the holder that holds the holes in the cam actuators where they should be at top dead when you tighten the bolts. I don't see a module problem yet unless you unplug the positive battery terminal first, you're probably ok.
MI-BMW (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 07:19 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by bhughes
I don't believe cranking but no start would be a cass problem. There is usually no crank. When you found the correct hole for the flywheel, did you adjust the cams at top dead? Both intake and exhaust lobes would be pointing out away from the cam. It matters that you used the holder that holds the holes in the cam actuators where they should be at top dead when you tighten the bolts. I don't see a module problem yet unless you unplug the positive battery terminal first, you're probably ok.
I did adjust the cams at top dead, however, I plan to recheck the timing to make sure everything is correct. I will let you all know what I find there and also if I find anything else. Thanks for the info! 😊

Quick Reply: No spark!