E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no engine/water temp guages

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i expect this has been done to death, but i need to add some sort of aftermarket device/way of reading the engine temperture. (a personal thing, where i need to be aware of engine temp) i cant beleive BMW have not included a temp guage or at least some sort of lighting system to keep us aware.
has any body had a hot warning displayed on there screen?...is there such a warning?
what about low water in the radiator...is there a warning displayed on the screen for this?
im thinking about fitting an in-line thermostat in to the top radiator hose (digital) with a guage concealed someware, im supprised that BMW deem us unworthy to not include such a simple (important) guage, every car i have ever owned has had at least 1 if not 2 guages monitering engine temp/water/oil
a simple light is not good enough...i need to see the guage creaping up if there is a problem, when im stuck on the M25 in 4 hours of trafic jams.

thoughts?
Old 12-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

If the engine gets too hot a warning light will show it.

But if you have a gasoline engine E60 you can see
when the car is warm from the rev meter.
See red circle in the pic of my ex 525iA's.
My new 520dA don't have it anymore.

Attached Thumbnails no engine/water temp guages-oki_mpg_paint.jpg  
Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='739523' date='Dec 6 2008, 11:19 AM
If the engine gets too hot a warning light will show it.

But if you have a gasoline engine E60 you can see
when the car is warm from the rev meter.
See red circle in the pic of my ex 525iA's.
My new 520dA don't have it anymore.

It's a cool feature for early morning warm-ups, but once the engine is at normal temps, you're on your own until the engine reaches a critical temp. I think the OP wants sonething that shows the problem developing, before it gets to a critical point. I understand exactly what he means. Years ago I had a '72 Pontiac Firebird with gauges up the wazoo. Normal temps were to the left of center. Whenever I noticed it up beyond center, I knew something was amiss. I was able to resolve sluggish fan speeds, a faulty water pump, and a coolant leak on different occassions before I was left stranded. If I only had an idiot light, by the time it illuminated I'd be near catastrophobic failure and would have to shut down, requiring a tow.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='739544' date='Dec 6 2008, 09:41 PM
It's a cool feature for early morning warm-ups, but once the engine is at normal temps, you're on your own until the engine reaches a critical temp. I think the OP wants sonething that shows the problem developing, before it gets to a critical point. I understand exactly what he means. Years ago I had a '72 Pontiac Firebird with gauges up the wazoo. Normal temps were to the left of center. Whenever I noticed it up beyond center, I knew something was amiss. I was able to resolve sluggish fan speeds, a faulty water pump, and a coolant leak on different occassions before I was left stranded. If I only had an idiot light, by the time it illuminated I'd be near catastrophobic failure and would have to shut down, requiring a tow.
I agree, but E60 has so many sensors around engine and cooling cycle, that are checking normal water temp width, as well as pressure, every single moment and if anything happens, a message will pop-up in I-drive screen that will inform you instantly about the malfunction. It's even better than old style temp gauges, where you have to look at it in order to discover that something goes wrong. In our cars, sensors will throw a fault instantly without to have to worry or have to check the temp gauge every time.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

If I don't recall wrongly, the E39 had a temp meter but the E46 for sure did have.

I think that leaving the temp meter off, only was a "cool thing" to do (trust the tech).

But then all future BMW's will have turbos, so there should be:
Engine coolant, oil temp, turbo temp and turbo pressure indicators/instruments.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

The temperature indicator that was in the e60 tach ring as shown above is no longer provided or enabled by BMW. There is no water temperature (or oil pressure or....) gauge in the e60s. Only the high-temp warning light. I agree with the OP, I'm more for direct-sensing analogue gauges, a few of them anyway.

Cal
Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

hmmmm

my late 2005 530d M-Sport has those little ticks in the tacho, didnt realise what they were for before this thread, they illuminate when I start the engine, never paid them anymore attn than that before tho.

OP:

I agree, I am thinking of fitting something subtle as well........temps as ever are a damned good early warning of expensive bills ahead if you dont catch it quick enough
Old 12-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='739563' date='Dec 6 2008, 04:08 PM
I agree, but E60 has so many sensors around engine and cooling cycle, that are checking normal water temp width, as well as pressure, every single moment and if anything happens, a message will pop-up in I-drive screen that will inform you instantly about the malfunction. It's even better than old style temp gauges, where you have to look at it in order to discover that something goes wrong. In our cars, sensors will throw a fault instantly without to have to worry or have to check the temp gauge every time.

hi nick, this is excatly the reason i want such guages, because our cars are so "hi-tech" electronics can fail...lights might not light up.....fuses can fail, thats why im a fan of analogue guages you can tell if there not working (by there lack of any movement) and you can see when they are working by there readings.
its great to have hi tech electronics but would be nice to have a "peice of mind back up"

BMW...the ultimate driving machine.....with no driver involvement...
Old 12-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='739664' date='Dec 7 2008, 12:12 AM
BMW...the ultimate driving machine.....with no driver involvement...
That was the thought then, a few years back...
I suppose we are coming back to the "I want to know" tech time.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

if you are really concerned, go on the OBC and check for engine faults... it will tell you if anything is wrong, including low coolant level and temperature issues. you can do this in idrive or on the light/signal lever by pressing and holding the check button.

Quick Reply: no engine/water temp guages