E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

no engine/water temp guages

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M Sport, Alpine White, 2006, Australian
Model Year: 2005

It would be nice if these extra guages, etc, could be on an Info screen that gets displayed in place of the standard I-Drive menu.

In fact, it would be fantastic if the entire display console was one large LCD panel, that could be customised ... you could choose what gets displayed and where. Select from futuristic digital - contemporary - retro styling. Choose colours (for those of you who suffer from colour blindness) ... etc.

Someone should forward this idea to the boys in Germany !!!

Cheers

virgil.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by virgil' post='740211' date='Dec 7 2008, 07:17 PM
It would be nice if these extra guages, etc, could be on an Info screen that gets displayed in place of the standard I-Drive menu.

In fact, it would be fantastic if the entire display console was one large LCD panel, that could be customised ... you could choose what gets displayed and where. Select from futuristic digital - contemporary - retro styling. Choose colours (for those of you who suffer from colour blindness) ... etc.

Someone should forward this idea to the boys in Germany !!!

Cheers

virgil.

Well, the ACM module can display the battery reading and the oil temp in the idrive.

Its not customizable like you say, but it has those readings in there. Take a look at the link I posted in my earlier posts in this thread.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Why not just get a A-pilar 3 gauge, gauge pod...and put some electric 2 1/16" gauges in them; water temp, oil pressure, wide band AF (for the turbo guy's)......not sure if pods exsist for the e60 though.....universal ones are out there though. Not sure if I would put one in mine..but that would be an option
Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I don't think it's really needed. Per the manual, you're not supposed to sit and let the car warm up, you drive it immediately, but gently. This means it's not necessary to watch a gauge.

As far as an overheating scenario, one or more things will happen.

1) A coolant leak or some amount of evaporated coolant should generate an alert about low coolant

2) In the case of a bad water pump, the floorboards will have coolant in them - a dead giveaway (in addition to a low coolant alert)

3) In the case of a broken thermostat or other system blockage, the car will overheat (visibly) - just stop driving and get a tow. A true temp gauge wouldn't buy you much more time if any.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='740663' date='Dec 8 2008, 03:18 PM
I don't think it's really needed. Per the manual, you're not supposed to sit and let the car warm up, you drive it immediately, but gently. This means it's not necessary to watch a gauge.

As far as an overheating scenario, one or more things will happen.

1) A coolant leak or some amount of evaporated coolant should generate an alert about low coolant

2) In the case of a bad water pump, the floorboards will have coolant in them - a dead giveaway (in addition to a low coolant alert)

3) In the case of a broken thermostat or other system blockage, the car will overheat (visibly) - just stop driving and get a tow. A true temp gauge wouldn't buy you much more time if any.
i hear what your saying mate, but thats not why we need guages...its the same as why you need a rev counter..to have a visual check on whats happening, ALL performance cars have these rudeamentry guages, and 99% of other cars have a water temp guage. (why was this???)
we know our cars will throw up a warning...but only when something has allready happened, with a "guage"...much like a fuel guage, you can monoter progress and prevent things like overheating from happening (do you want to be wrapped in cotton wool?) i certainly dont, and i love being part of the driving process, or i would hop on a bus

as your point 3, goes...a temp guage will give you huge amounts of warning, when it strays off the norm...you know something is amiss.
engine/water temp is critical to your engine, why leave it too chance
why not omit the fuel guage also, and just have a low fuel warning (say 50 miles to empty..../) its almost the same thing...we dont "need" it, but it helps and aids our driving and awareness.

just my thoughts, why change something that has worked for 100 years

ps: i love guages
Old 12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='740718' date='Dec 8 2008, 04:49 PM
i hear what your saying mate, but thats not why we need guages...its the same as why you need a rev counter..to have a visual check on whats happening, ALL performance cars have these rudeamentry guages, and 99% of other cars have a water temp guage. (why was this???)
we know our cars will throw up a warning...but only when something has allready happened, with a "guage"...much like a fuel guage, you can monoter progress and prevent things like overheating from happening (do you want to be wrapped in cotton wool?) i certainly dont, and i love being part of the driving process, or i would hop on a bus

as your point 3, goes...a temp guage will give you huge amounts of warning, when it strays off the norm...you know something is amiss.
engine/water temp is critical to your engine, why leave it too chance
why not omit the fuel guage also, and just have a low fuel warning (say 50 miles to empty..../) its almost the same thing...we dont "need" it, but it helps and aids our driving and awareness.

just my thoughts, why change something that has worked for 100 years

ps: i love guages
I could see my car warning me if the outside temperature goes below 37 deg F, I expect the same for engine/water temp to warn us at a regular interval if it exceeds the normal operating temp.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:49 AM
Contributors

just another thought for those who say our current warning message is enough...........

the paramiters must be set high on our cars or it would throw up an "overheating" light/message every so often, so this leads me to think that it must be set at the max almost..ie: when its "definatly" overheating...and then its too late if your on the motorway doing 100 (70 your honour ) and would result in stopping on the hard shoulder waiting for recovery.

my "guage" would allow me to "limp" to a service area, because of the amount of warning it gives (or in some cases speed up, as more air flow can cool engines down up to a point, i could also put heaters on to channel hot water flow away from the engine)
fortunatly diesel engines dont seem to suffer overheating problems due to there cool running engines and fuel.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='739885' date='Dec 7 2008, 01:11 AM
They should of put a temp gauge in place of the useless mpg gauge
The mpg gauge is useless, why BMW doesn't replace it with a temperature or turbo pressure gauge is beyond me.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually there IS something you can do about the temperature gauge. BMW sells a "sports steering wheel" covered in sweade with LED lights at 12oclock position. It has programable steering wheel buttons and a feature that tell you if the engine is up to its operating temperature. Its $1,400.

Another option, although I don't know if this will work, is to swap the tach out from an X6 (which has the oil temp gauge), and hopefully it hooks up to some kind of sensor. I've been thinking about this, but I'm not sure if it will work, any ideas?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by corgidog' post='749157' date='Dec 19 2008, 09:05 PM
The mpg gauge is useless, why BMW doesn't replace it with a temperature or turbo pressure gauge is beyond me.
Yeah, I agree. Not sure why they put that there.

Quick Reply: no engine/water temp guages