E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

News on software update

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for video in the front seat it may be done. When the rolls-royce phantom first came out it wasn't an option. Then it was added through a software update. And I am talking about a US spec car. The only thing is that it only works while the car is not moving. If they enable this im sure we could get an aftermarket dvd player to broadcast over a tv station simulat to the i-pod transmitter but with video. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NickP' date='Jul 3 2004, 01:10 PM
So in theroy, swapping the US TCU for the Europe TCU then executing the BT upgrade/retro would allow a US car to get BT *IF* BMW doesn't sort out the US Motorola Everest based TCU functioning with BT.
My dealer tried to change my TCU from US (CDMA) to Europe (GSM). It would not work, not sure why. When the TCU was installed and activated it would not show on the computer as present.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by spec33' date='Jul 4 2004, 05:24 AM
My dealer tried to change my TCU from US (CDMA) to Europe (GSM). It would not work, not sure why. When the TCU was installed and activated it would not show on the computer as present.
That is most unfortunate.

So Spec, what's the next move?
Old 07-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by spec33' date='Jul 4 2004, 05:24 AM
[quote name='NickP' date='Jul 3 2004, 01:10 PM'] So in theroy, swapping the US TCU for the Europe TCU then executing the BT upgrade/retro would allow a US car to get BT *IF* BMW doesn't sort out the US Motorola Everest based TCU functioning with BT.
My dealer tried to change my TCU from US (CDMA) to Europe (GSM). It would not work, not sure why. When the TCU was installed and activated it would not show on the computer as present. [/quote]
Did he recode the car for the Europe TCU, CIP has to know that the US TCU was removed and replaced with a Europe TCU.... TIS has instructions on how to do this.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jul 3 2004, 05:57 AM
Once again BMW NA hoses us over.? Took the car in to have the spoiler and etc done to my car.? While there I looked through the German accessory brochure.? It has a price for the rear entertainment package AKA DVD player.? Every place was listed to have as an option except for the states!? Dealer said he would look into it and see if he can order one here for the states.? If I was here longer than 2 more years I would get the German DVD player.
BMW has two of those systems. The one in the brochure is the one what goes under the roof, one screen. The other one will be somewhen available after September 05, two screens (one in each headrest's backside) and plugs in the rear center console with a 6 DVD-changer in the trunk. This system will also allow connecting a PS2 for example.
But both systems have the one big problem, why you shouldn't buy it for your US spec car. The DVD-players are for PAL (the German TV system - different than NTSC, and they only play DVD's with country code 2.
An option would be a portable DVD-player that works on 12V. The one I've got can be put on the headrest or even the sunblind to watch a DVD on the passenger seat. You can use it at home, in Hotels... even with a battery... And it plays allmost any known disc and format. It can also be used as a regular DVD-player, since you can connect it to your TV and your Dolby receiver, it has an optical output. Manchester portable DVD-player by MPX