E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Newish 535 and Cobb AccessPORT

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by crypto
@HP JNKEY - thanks for the feedback. I wonder if your friend is just slow at driving his M3... I didn't think you could get 0-60 in 4.8 or less with just the Stage 1 from the Cobb. Sounds like it's pretty bad ass either way. Curious - what years is your car/is your warranty still on? Have you had any issues with CEL's popping up at all and have you reflashed it back to stock and back again yet?

Complete other question.. what % is your tint? It looks like it's about 15% but angles can be deceiving.. no way that's over 30% right?
I've drivin in the M3 and there's nothing wrong with his driving. His car is fast.
Someone on the E90 Forum posted a same day dyno of 2 different 335's with similar mods. One had Dinan Stage 2 and the other had the Cobb Stage 1 91 octane.
The Cobb made more HP and Tq.
My car is a 2008 and is still under warranty, and it helps to have a mod friendly dealership.
I've had no issues or codes and I've never tried reflashing it back to stock. I have to take the car in next month so I will see what happens with the uninstall.
If you are worried about warranty then get the Dinan. They provide a warranty for the full term of your factory warranty but it runs out when the factory warranty expires.
The tint is 40% on the sides and 20 on the rear. The picture is deceiving.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Members

If you worry about the warranty of your car, then go for the Dinan flash. They are offering nearly 50% off in some cases And you get to keep your warranty as well.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT - Sapphire Black / Beige

I have a Cobb as well [thanks for the recommendation HP JNKY] and I LOVE IT. Supposedly the dynosheet that Cobb has shown for the 535 was on a car with wastegate issues, so on a healthy engine the improvement should be inline with the 335 numbers, so roughly 30%hp/38%tq. I'm running the 93 Octane map with the alternate thottle map, and it feels pretty damn quick. I've also seen a slight improvement in mpg, which might be even bigger I ease off on the acceleration, but it just so much fun. Changing between maps takes under 2 mins, install took about 10-15, didn't time it, but wasn't long. The Cobb can also be used to read [and wipe] any codes that do show up like a BTT. Haven't tried it, but you can also use it to get performance daat from your car, like 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Definitely a worthy investment, and would think easily resellable to anyone with a 1 3 or 5 series [believe its all the same unit as its the same part number].
Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a JB3 that I run on Map 5 always and a BT scan tool to clear my codes, no issues ever with warranty.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Members

The Dinan is definitely great for piece of mind if you have alot of original warranty left, but if you've got a CPO, they don't cover those extra 2 yrs. But if you can really get it for 50% off like cookie said, then go for it. Only drawback to a Dinan, if you'd wanna call it that, is having to take in to their shop if you need to have it re-flashed [like after the recall for the dreaded HPFP issue].
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gummysDad
I have a Cobb as well [thanks for the recommendation HP JNKY] and I LOVE IT. Supposedly the dynosheet that Cobb has shown for the 535 was on a car with wastegate issues, so on a healthy engine the improvement should be inline with the 335 numbers, so roughly 30%hp/38%tq. I'm running the 93 Octane map with the alternate thottle map, and it feels pretty damn quick. I've also seen a slight improvement in mpg, which might be even bigger I ease off on the acceleration, but it just so much fun. Changing between maps takes under 2 mins, install took about 10-15, didn't time it, but wasn't long. The Cobb can also be used to read [and wipe] any codes that do show up like a BTT. Haven't tried it, but you can also use it to get performance daat from your car, like 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Definitely a worthy investment, and would think easily resellable to anyone with a 1 3 or 5 series [believe its all the same unit as its the same part number].
Have you tried the 91 octane map? Just wondering what the difference feels like.
All we can get at the pump is 91 octane so that's what I'm running but I've heard that the 93 mapping
is noticeably stronger. There's a place in Rancho Santa Fe that sells 100 octane for all the Ferrari guys but it's 8.00/gal. I've been thinking
of getting 5 gallons one day and mixing it with the 91 so I could run the stronger tune.
What's your take?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by HP JNKEY
Have you tried the 91 octane map? Just wondering what the difference feels like.
All we can get at the pump is 91 octane so that's what I'm running but I've heard that the 93 mapping
is noticeably stronger. There's a place in Rancho Santa Fe that sells 100 octane for all the Ferrari guys but it's 8.00/gal. I've been thinking
of getting 5 gallons one day and mixing it with the 91 so I could run the stronger tune.
What's your take?
Haven't tried the 91 map. Haven't even used the car since Memorial Day , but put about 300+ miles on it that weekend. I can say that the 93 map with alternate throttle response was able to spin the tires from a 5 - 10 mph start with the DTC/DSC fully off [with an automatic in DS...yeeha!] and 60-90 acceleration was incredible. May have to de-tune this puppy for ski season...naaaahhh
Old 06-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gummysDad
Haven't tried the 91 map. Haven't even used the car since Memorial Day , but put about 300+ miles on it that weekend. I can say that the 93 map with alternate throttle response was able to spin the tires from a 5 - 10 mph start with the DTC/DSC fully off [with an automatic in DS...yeeha!] and 60-90 acceleration was incredible. May have to de-tune this puppy for ski season...naaaahhh
I will try the 93 tune one of these days but I really like the 91 tune. It also spins the wheels from a roll and the DTC light blinks on and off all the way thru 1st gear.
I've heard that the gas mileage is worse with the 93 tune.
I went up to Orange County 2 weeks ago and got 27.4 mpg. Mostly freeway but out of the 175 miles, 30 miles were in town and I also got stuck in traffic for 20 miles on the 5 Fwy.
Not bad for a tuned car going 75-80 mph.
What do you mean " Alternate Throttle Response " ???
Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Dinan stage 2 here and absolutely no regrets. Sure the warranty matching is great, but there's more reasons to go with Dinan than just that. Going with a Dinan/BMW dealer ensures that they know the tune inside and out, and know how to properly support it. Regardless of warranty status, I can't see any dealer calling Cobb, Vishnu, etc, for support, whereas a Dinan/BMW dealer has folks on staff that know the product inside and out. And if they get stumped, they have a direct line to Dinan in California. Unfortunately my local dealer (BMW of Mount Laurel, NJ) 5 minutes from my house is not a Dinan shop so I have to travel about 45 minutes away for my service (Thompson BMW, PA) when needed.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Members

HP, go to CobbTuning, there are some new maps you can download with alternate/improved throttle response. Since the car is drive by wire, there is a little lag between hitting the pedal and the engine revving. I've NEVER seen 27.4 mpg, but then again the majority of my trips either start in NYC [traffic] or are on hilly roads in Vermont/upstate NY. Next long, flat trip I will reset the mpg and see what happens.

The Dinan is great, no question. As far as the dealer doing anything beyond what they are obligated to do, that doesn't happen for me. They don't even wash the car half the time. But that said, I'll uninstall the Cobb before I bring it to them, which puts the original dealer flash back on so its completely back to stock.

Quick Reply: Newish 535 and Cobb AccessPORT