E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Newish 535 and Cobb AccessPORT

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading various forums about different upgrades for the 535's such as Dinan Stage I, II, and III, JB4, Cobb AccessPORT and a few others. I've come to the conclusion through reading different forums for both E60 and E90 that the Cobb AccessPORT is very easy to use, can result in major performance boosts, is quick, and is pretty cheap when compared to some of the other options. With that said it also seems pretty clear that using such a product can void your factory warranty. A lot of the threads I read about people using these DIY flashes/upgrades seem to have cars that are 3+ years old.. so either out of their warranty due to mileage or rapidly approaching it.

Is it a stupid idea to consider getting a Cobb AccessPORT for 2010 535 xDrive with ~80% of its factory warranty remaining? Is it not worth the risk? I can't seem to get clear answers on whether or not the CEL and other codes are thrown or if it's easy for the dealer to see you've flashed and reflashed your ECU and potentially use that against you. Right now I'm leaning on waiting a while to do something like this since I am a little risk adverse after paying all this money for a car that can be fairly expensive to maintain out of warranty. I've also read all the threads about the warranty laws and how doing after market add-ons and what not doesn't necessarily constitute a legal/valid reason to void warranty work if it's not directly related.. but I'd rather sideline that conversation.

Has anyone used the Cobb AccessPORT and gone to the dealer for standard warranty work and experienced any issues? I'm curious on general thoughts about this with respect to a vehicle with plenty of warranty left. Not looking to be convinced one way or another but genuinely interested on the thoughts and experience of others with this. TIA.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question - I am curious about that myself - I have not seen much about that on E90post (pertaining of course to the 335i).
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

All of the 535i models are probably still under warranty. The Cobb and jb4 both allow you to clear "tuner" codes before taking the car in to the dealer for service.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

I think cobb is perfect for the above situation, currently stage 1 runs lower boost than the others, although they have less aggressive options. so its less likely to throw tuner codes. i had piggy back tunes there great but in and out off the ecu was a pain. its easy , 20 mins. once you get the hang off it but in the middle of febuary still 20 mins. in the cold. I highly recommend that you buy a Bavarian tech tool. because i found codes that the cobb did not clear. bt tool is more than worth it. easy install updates are easy. i have been to the dealer with out any dealer issues, but i did use the bt tool just to make sure.. and as soon as you get in the car you can reflash. Piggys are great i may pick up one used, becuase cobbs to slow with stage 2. but ease of use wise you can't beat cobb.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the replies.

@TLO03 -- why do you feel the Bavarian Tech Tool is worth it? Because it can read and/or clear codes the Cobb can't? Why can't the Cobb do that anyway.. isn't reading/clearing information supposed to be one of its key features? I wonder if Cobb is aware.. any reason they wouldn't have support for something this tool can do in that realm? Also, when you mention slow with stage 2.. do you mean because they haven't released it yet or it it's out but not that great? I am new at this.. how does that work anyway.. if they have new MAPs out for whatever.. can you just go download them [for free]?
Old 06-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

Up dates and maps are free. Stage 2 has not been released, piggy backs are way ahead of the game on power and cars that have other mods.. Cobb dose read some codes I think early on guys found out that it wasn't removing the shadow codes. I had no need to check lately... I believe BT tool is a must have for anyone running a tune.. I always clear codes with it before dealer visits.. It very useful plus you can register a new battery if you believe in that..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...es#post8707510

Post 691.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Thanks I also hit up the FAQ the Cobb guy links to at the bottom of his sig:

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?69816-BMW-AccessPORT-Frequently-Asked-Questions.-New-Users-Start-HERE!

It's a good read and clears up a few things and makes a few claims. In particular this one was of interest:

I keep reading that no matter what, the dealership will be able to detect the AccessPORT, even if it is uninstalled, is this true?

Our testing has shown that the AccessPORT, once uninstalled, is completely undetectable. There is no flash counter or other ?fingerprint? left behind on the ECU. When installing the AccessPORT, your stock ECU/DME information is saved. When you uninstall, that exact information is flashed back onto the ECU so that is once again 100% stock. We have even had BMW technicians examine an ECU that has been returned to stock and they have confirmed that they cannot find any trace of a previous installation. Once you uninstall your AccessPORT, your ECU will be 100% stock and you will be able to take your BMW in for warranty work or repair without worry.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by crypto
I've been reading various forums about different upgrades for the 535's such as Dinan Stage I, II, and III, JB4, Cobb AccessPORT and a few others. I've come to the conclusion through reading different forums for both E60 and E90 that the Cobb AccessPORT is very easy to use, can result in major performance boosts, is quick, and is pretty cheap when compared to some of the other options. With that said it also seems pretty clear that using such a product can void your factory warranty. A lot of the threads I read about people using these DIY flashes/upgrades seem to have cars that are 3+ years old.. so either out of their warranty due to mileage or rapidly approaching it.

Is it a stupid idea to consider getting a Cobb AccessPORT for 2010 535 xDrive with ~80% of its factory warranty remaining? Is it not worth the risk? I can't seem to get clear answers on whether or not the CEL and other codes are thrown or if it's easy for the dealer to see you've flashed and reflashed your ECU and potentially use that against you. Right now I'm leaning on waiting a while to do something like this since I am a little risk adverse after paying all this money for a car that can be fairly expensive to maintain out of warranty. I've also read all the threads about the warranty laws and how doing after market add-ons and what not doesn't necessarily constitute a legal/valid reason to void warranty work if it's not directly related.. but I'd rather sideline that conversation.

Has anyone used the Cobb AccessPORT and gone to the dealer for standard warranty work and experienced any issues? I'm curious on general thoughts about this with respect to a vehicle with plenty of warranty left. Not looking to be convinced one way or another but genuinely interested on the thoughts and experience of others with this. TIA.
I installed my Cobb AP about 8 weeks ago and I still have this huge smile on my face every time I drive my 535.
This thing Rocks.
Before the Cobb, I took the car to the dealer for the fuel pump and injector crap, so they also reflashed the ECU which made the car feel sluglish and not as trigger happy, like it was before. I actually started hating it, so that's when I decided to get the Cobb AP. I know it's a new product but there were alot of E90 people who swore by it so I thought I would give it a shot.
This thing is a torque monster. It is so much fun to drive especially in DS. The DTC light blinks all the way thru 1st gear when you stand on it and it just keeps on pulling all the way thru the rpm range. The boost goes from 8.5 psi to around 15-16 psi. 0-60 in under 5 seconds. Raced my friends 2004 M3 at the local 1/8th mile a couple of weeks ago and beat him every single time. It was close from the start but I pulled about 2 cars on him every time. His car also has a cold air kit and a tune. He said it's making about 350hp. In the C/D and Motortrend, the 2004 M3 is said to do 0-60 in 4.8 and 1/4 mile at 13.4@ 106, or something like that.
Get Cobb tuner, you will love it.
You can also get the Dinan Stage 2, it comes with a warranty but it's 2200.00.
The Cobb actually made more HP on the dyno than the Dinan Stage 2.
attachment=1555941010881.JPG]
Attached Thumbnails Newish 535 and Cobb AccessPORT-p1010881.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

@HP JNKEY - thanks for the feedback. I wonder if your friend is just slow at driving his M3... I didn't think you could get 0-60 in 4.8 or less with just the Stage 1 from the Cobb. Sounds like it's pretty bad ass either way. Curious - what years is your car/is your warranty still on? Have you had any issues with CEL's popping up at all and have you reflashed it back to stock and back again yet?

Complete other question.. what % is your tint? It looks like it's about 15% but angles can be deceiving.. no way that's over 30% right?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

Yeah, I'm gonna pull the trigger on either JB4 or Cobb in the next week or so. I'm underwhelmed with my 535xi after it was reflashed by the dealer. Weak sauce! I like the idea of the Cobb being and actual reflash, but it's almost twice as much as the JB4, and most people say the JB4 creates more power. Any experiences to the contrary?

Quick Reply: Newish 535 and Cobb AccessPORT