E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Newbie needs advice (NAV & M-Kit)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luxembourg' post='235623' date='Feb 6 2006, 10:59 AM
Hello Guys,

I am new here, but it looks like a perfect place to ask all my questions
So, I am just about to order my new E60 and I need to hear some good advice from current E60 users
Well, I'm almost done configuring my car, however the longer I am thinking the less convinced I am if I should go for two options: NAVI and M-KIT.

Here comes my insight:
NAVI - my first thought was: a new BMW these days just has to have a NAVI system factory built in (even though my current E39 doesn't have one, and I'm doing just fine with my laptop + USB GPS installed inside). Anyway, I drove a test E60 twice already and I find its Navi less and less convenient as compared to a PC - GPS map (MS Auto route). So, I need an advice from all you guys who have their NAVI inside already:
- If you were in my shoes, driving daily about 15-20 km (10-15 miles) on route: "home - office" + occassional weekends away + couple of longer trips across Europe per year (when you'd actually need this NAVI, finding your way in a downtown of Paris or Amsterdam), is it worth to pay for NAVI Prof???
(keep in mind it costs in EU about 2300 EUR which is almost 2800 USD) and I guess, I will still carry my laptop along with me, anyway...

Second thing which drives me off is that the DVD map which BMW supplies with the car currently does not include Poland - and to tell you the truth most of my long-distance trips are from Luxembourg through Germany to Poland - so I will end up with my laptop+GPS combination there for next few months anyway...
So, what do you say? Give me some advice, please!

And the second question: M-Kit.

Well, I calculated how many things BMW actually gives you in this kit for the money, and it looks like an AMAZING deal with sport wheels, suspension, seats, spoilers, steering wheel and all. However, my dealer suggests that Belgian and French roads are just not made for 18" wheels/tires + M sport suspension + front M spoiler, and I would scratch or hit and brake the wheel fairly soon... And I hear the "135" 18" wheel replacement is eeeexpensive.
So, the question for current M-Kit owners: - do you really find its ride significantly less comfortable compared to standard 16" + normal tires?
And second question: - anyone actually did hit a curb (or heard about anyone), or a road-hole the way it would damage your wheel, or tear off a piece of front spoiler?

And some background info:
- I live and I will drive this car mainly in Luxembourg (where generally speaking roads and freeways are just as "flat and perfect" as in Germany), but as I also occasionally drive to Belgium, France and Poland, where roads unfortunately are far, far from good, I am just afraid if I push it to hard now to get the M-Kit I might actually regret that choice afterwards...

So, tell me - should I or shouldn't I go for M-Kit, and what about this NAVI? How useful do you find it on everyday basis?

I will appreciate all your advice and experience-sharing in those two areas.
I am about to order a 550 this weekend. I am curious. Is the M-Kit an accessory or an option. Here I believe I can only get the sport package as an option. What is the price in the US for the "M-Kit"?
Old 02-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='237016' date='Feb 9 2006, 12:04 AM
I am about to order a 550 this weekend. I am curious. Is the M-Kit an accessory or an option. Here I believe I can only get the sport package as an option. What is the price in the US for the "M-Kit"?
Where's "here"? You need to put your location in your profile please.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

Originally Posted by igor' post='236123' date='Feb 7 2006, 01:37 PM
BTW where do u order it (in Kontz?) and which discount u are getting?
After many years(and cars) here I finally ordered my last BMW across the border in Germany.
There is a chance to get it there with discounts over 10 pc, while here here 8 is the top. So think it over maybe u can afford both.
Sorry Igor, I forgot to reply about my (future) car..
As for my order - yes I will most probably get my E60 from Arnold Kontz. Although, I will wait a bit since it's just a crazy time now duing the Autofestival here, and it's probably the only such place in the world where you actually have to stand in line, to get a chance to buy your new car...
Afterall, our dealer said that normally during these two "crazy" weeks in February they sell over 25% of the year's total sales. They sold like 450 cars last year during this 2-week peek-season of Autofestival. And - 450 cars within two weeks period is aaaaaa lot for a country of a size of an average American football field (well, I actually love that about living in Luxembourg!)

Well, anyway I will receive 15% discount (but it's a bit special as it is for EU inst.) and I have to admit they offer really nice diplomatic bonuses here, at least compared to Audi/VW who only offer 7% discount! :thumbsdown: (I was considering either A6 or Tuareg for a moment there). This discount is deducted off a net price, so all in all it makes 30% less than a street price, which makes this deal even sweeter... And it also counts while thinking about options like M-KIT, which normally would cost here around 4600 EUR (TVA inc.), and this way it's just about 2700 EUR or so - well then it's a bit more than a set of decent wheels...

For a moment there I was considering buying X5 (I used to live in LA, so I love everything about fast SUVs...) but I don't know if you are aware, but they told me it is 13 (THIRTEEN!) months waiting between the order and vehicle's pick up here in Luxembourg!!! :'( Can you imagine one year waiting? I bet most of people already forget what they had ordered by the time their X5 arrives... Well, I even thought for a moment that if I ordered my X5 now I would end up receiving... new model (??) I guess.... which nobody has seen so far... Therefore I will go with E60.

As for specs: I think I will stick with 4 -cylinder 520 diesel 163KM (hp) / 340Nm (Lord, what a sweet engine compared to the E39 528 which I drive now!) and I will have put inside for sure: grey Dakota leather, Xenon+cleaner, folded rear seats (must have for me, as I miss that feature too often with my current E39), sport steereing wheel, PDC, silver metallic, and perhaps L7 audio - I still don't know about that.
And if I lay low and leave BMW garage without NAVI and M-Kit , I might end up a little below 30 grand (EUR), which I think is unbeatable price for a vehicle like that!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

Originally Posted by OliverB' post='236965' date='Feb 9 2006, 12:00 AM
The relative comfort problem comes from the RFT tires. You can negociate with your dealer to keep new RFT tires & replace them with conventional tires. Don't forget to order the spare wheel ! It's only 110 ? TVAC as an option, ... but 330 ? TVAC aftermarket !!
HEY, it is one of the most valuable infos I could find out !!! THANKS A LOT!!
Dealer didn't even mentioned that there was an option to replace RFTs with "normal tires". Any ideas how much would it cost? And do I get to keep RFT? (I would personally prefer to lose them - and have conventionals instead of them, if they wouldn't charge me anything)

Oh, one more thing:
spare wheel - is it the same 135 style 18" with RFT tire, and just for 110 EUR??
Or is it just this small-service-40km/h wheel?

Thanks in advance for your reply!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luxembourg' post='237220
The relative comfort problem comes from the RFT tires. You can negociate with your dealer to keep new RFT tires & replace them with conventional tires. Don't forget to order the spare wheel ! It's only 110 ? TVAC as an option, ... but 330 ? TVAC aftermarket !!
Dealer didn't even mentioned that there was an option to replace RFTs with "normal tires". Any ideas how much would it cost? And do I get to keep RFT? (I would personally prefer to lose them - and have conventionals instead of them, if they wouldn't charge me anything)
Oh, one more thing:
spare wheel - is it the same 135 style 18" with RFT tire, and just for 110 EUR??
Or is it just this small-service-40km/h wheel?
[/quote]
Replacing the tyres with non-RFT is not an official option, just something to try and negotiate with the dealer.
The spare is a compact one, good for 80kph and (I think) max 250km.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by luxembourg' post='236743
Hi, luxembourg
Welcome to the forum: you are the third member from this country (if I'm not mistaken).
Hey Igor, it's nice to hear there more Luxembourgoise ici
BTW I don't know if it's also your impression, but when I look around (especially in Kirchberg) - to me looks like every other car in this town is BMW, well.. ain't that right??
(but what do I know - I've only lived here for one year now
But, I had lived in the USA for a few years before (North Hollywood, CA - to be exact), and even there I have never noticed such a congestion of luxury sports sedans per square mile
But, it's nice to see so many people are capable here to appreciate these cars!

BTW, is there a chance that you live in the Lux-ville, as well? If so, do you think there could be a chance to see your e60 in real? I'm just curious about the M-Kit in a real-road condition (and at Kontz they told me don't have one for a test drive )
[/quote]
Hi, luxembourg
I live and work in the city so we cud fix a date to see my car.
Please mind that i just have M aerokit not the whole one. My car has standard suspension with DynDrive and RFT.
I send you PM with my e mail.
Cheers
Old 03-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by igor' post='237237' date='Feb 9 2006, 01:22 PM
Hey Igor, it's nice to hear there more Luxembourgoise ici
BTW I don't know if it's also your impression, but when I look around (especially in Kirchberg) - to me looks like every other car in this town is BMW, well.. ain't that right??
(but what do I know - I've only lived here for one year now
But, I had lived in the USA for a few years before (North Hollywood, CA - to be exact), and even there I have never noticed such a congestion of luxury sports sedans per square mile
But, it's nice to see so many people are capable here to appreciate these cars!

BTW, is there a chance that you live in the Lux-ville, as well? If so, do you think there could be a chance to see your e60 in real? I'm just curious about the M-Kit in a real-road condition (and at Kontz they told me don't have one for a test drive )

Hi, luxembourg
I live and work in the city so we cud fix a date to see my car.
Please mind that i just have M aerokit not the whole one. My car has standard suspension with DynDrive and RFT.
I send you PM with my e mail.
Cheers
Igor hi plz send me pix of your Piano!!!! and the car too where is your gallery???? not much pix I saw about the wood...danke ats.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by ats77' post='257021' date='Mar 19 2006, 12:15 AM
Igor hi plz send me pix of your Piano!!!! and the car too where is your gallery???? not much pix I saw about the wood...danke ats.
Hi ats77,
Sorry but i have amarone wood. Here u go:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...album&album=535
<_<
Old 03-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by igor' post='257724' date='Mar 20 2006, 02:00 PM
Hi ats77,
Sorry but i have amarone wood. Here u go:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...album&album=535
<_<
Very nice; the woodlining in the steering wheel