E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

newb 550 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys - it sounds like it could be one of many things none of which is normal, so I think I'll go have it checked out.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

Originally Posted by skwab
Thanks for the replies guys - it sounds like it could be one of many things none of which is normal, so I think I'll go have it checked out.
I've been down that road (or at least it sounds like the same road). See the topic I started at https://5series.net/forums/topic/755...age__p__854690.

Bottom line: Although BMW insists it is normal, the shop foreman at the dealer (great guy) advised of a service bulletin (SIB 24 03 09) which sure looks like it addresses this problem. The repair is (surprise) a new version of code using the new BMW software system--ISTA. Dealer installed it for free. (It is covered under the new car and CPO warranties.) One year later, the car still drives great. Cleaner, better shifts. Faster. I don't know if it's the new program or the fact that the transmission was cleared of what it had learned. Driving in "Drive Sport" avoids the judder. Here is a link to the bulletin: http://www.bmwtis.co...mp/B240309g.htm

SI B 24 03 09
Automatic Transmission April 2009
Technical Service

SUBJECT
550i and 650i with N62TU and 6HP26 - Various Drivability Complaints

MODEL
E60, 550iA produced from 09/05 up to 02/07

E63, E64; 650i produced from 09/05 up to 09/07

SITUATION
The customer may complain about one or a combination of the following situations, listed below:

Intermittent harsh 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 downshift (jolt) when coming to a stop with light brake application.

Jolts and/or jerks felt when reaccelerating after coasting.

Judder when gently accelerating (most noticeable at an engine speed below 2,000 RPM).

CAUSE
DME and EGS software calibration

SOLUTION
Program the vehicle with ISTA/P 2.33.0 or later, using the path "Conversion" and "Downshift behavior". After this modification, the k-word "HADS" will be added to the Vehicle Order.

Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.

For information on programming and coding with ISTA/P, refer to CenterNet / Aftersales Portal / Service / Workshop Technology / Vehicle Programming".

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Certified Pre-Owned Program.

Defect Code:
24 00 33 98 00
Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Members

great psam - thanks! I'll have them look into that - hopefully my dealer is as cooperative.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rick circeo
That's just your car going down to first. It's not a fuking Ferrari. It's normal.
It doesn't have to be a Ferrari to have a slamming transmission(which shouldnt have an automatic transmission anyway). Any transmission "jolts" or "slams" on downshifts is not normal, and should be corrected before it damages the transmission. Even though OP thinks that it may be coming from the engine or suspension, the symptoms certainly seem indicative of a slamming tranny.

Given this is an issue with BMW trannys/software on the 8 cylinder models, I don't see where you get your "normal" conclusion is coming from.

See the SIB above.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

judging by the picture, it looks like your front tire is low on air.
sounds like a tire issue.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Members

Well, so I took the car in and they kept it for two days trying to figure out what this noise was - said the suspension, brakes and transmission were all good. He said the consensus was tire noise. At first I thought he was full of crap. But as I started doing a little research, found that the tires that are on the car - Goodyear eagle F1 all seasons, have had many complaints about noise and vibrations after a few thousand miles of use. So it looks like I might be doing some tire shopping soon - any suggestions? Thanks for all the input!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

I love my new Michlein Pilot Sport All Season-- smooth, quite ride. Solid performance and tread life.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Members

Thanks psam - looking at the reviews that was the set I was leaning towards - lots of good feedback on those - ggreat to hear you've had a positive experience with them.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by skwab
Mostly just an audible rumble from the front end - sounds like the engine - it doesn't stop when I release the brakes - if I just coast at 15 to 20 mph I get the rumble. A little vibration but it's not obnoxious by any means. Goes away after I get up to 25 or so or when I come to a stop. Doesnt do it when idling either. But it has 32K miles on it. Tires and brakes in good condition.

It's the lock up torque converter. It's used to conserve fuel at low speed.
Here's my post about it.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Members

Hey or - thanks for the post - I read your thread and it sounds very similar. In either mode, though, the noise is the same - doesnt seem to make a difference. Was your torque converter faulty? Because if it's normal operation then everyone would experience it I would imagine. But the next time I have it in I'll definitely ask them about it.

Quick Reply: newb 550 question