E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A new twist on an old suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I picked up my new '07 530i a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier with it. I was able to get every option I thought I wanted - what I didn't get was the Sports Package. Although the ride is absolutely first rate (it's all relative, I'm coming from an F-150 ), I want to go to a slightly more aggressive wheel/tire combination but also want to avoid the fender gap that I've read so much about. I've spent the last few days reading posts from as far back as a couple years on the different options available but haven't seen exactly what I'm looking for.

Obviously, the majority here have gone the Eibach/HR route to lower their cars. I think my interest falls more inline with keeping the feel of the stock ride and getting the 18" 124 wheels from the 550i with SP. Having said all this, I thought one option would be to go to the dealer and buy the springs that would have come with my car if it had the SP. Interestingly enough, the springs were only $500. I know this is more than the Eibachs but I'm not interested in lowering the car quite that much. The kicker is the shocks - all four total $1,000!!

I guess my question here is 1) has anyone replaced a standard spring with the SP springs this in the past who can offer any insight and 2) can I use the stock shocks in the short term or should I go ahead and get some aftermarket shocks and, if so 3) what shocks have people had experience with that will integrate with the slightly lowered stance while still maintaining the factory ride.

I recognize this may be an odd request but hopefully there is a simple solution!