E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires on 166m oem wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

So, here's my story, hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction... About a month ago I bought new Kumho Ecsta SPT's for my e60, which was probably a mistake, but had to do it for obvious financial reasons. I wanted the PS2's but could not afford them right now...

Anyway, I am now getting a vibration that I can not get rid of, I have road forced these tires about 3 times and every time I road force the tires the car seems to be fine for about 1 day and then vibration comes back. I am beginning to believe that these tires just don't cut it for the e60 and I am now at the point that I want to throw these tires away and get the PS2's. I already checked all the wheels, one rear wheel was bent, so I had it repaired, vibration improved but did not completely disappear. I feel the vibration around 65-75mph, under 65 the car is smooth as silk. Another thing that I am noticing is that when I accelerate aggressively I notice the vibration becomes more evident. I don't know if it's because these tires are hopping or if something else is going on. I took it to my local dealer and they said the suspension looks fine...

BTY, I have 50k miles and I have oem 166m wheels. I already did a warranty exchange on 3 of the 4 tires and problem is still there. I previously had the PS2's before putting on the Kumho's and I never felt this vibration with the PS2's. I do not recommend Kumho's at all on any BMW.

Anyone experience this before?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Sorry to hear.

My previous tires on my previous wheels were Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31's. They were fine, except that two of them were out of round and caused vibrations. After changing them under warranty the vibrations disappeared.

If you didn't have problems with previous tires on those 166 wheels, change the tires. Simple as that. GL.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Senior Members

sounds like your wheel alignment is out ...

also if you repaired wheels, maybe it wasnt repaired perfectly....

so go do wheel alignment, tire pressure checked and replace that wheel...
Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Is the vibrations in your steering wheel or seats, etc.? I am guessing that bent rim isn't helping things. Vibration is the worst kind of problem to have. I went through a bad stretch myself on my old 530xi with vibration, so I feel for ya.

I always tell people, it's almost ALWAYS the tires and rims causing vibration, esp. when you're saying the suspension checked out. I say ditch the tires, buy one new rim and try again. It will be worth the cash, and you don't have to blow all of your money on PS2's to have a quality tire. Try the General UHP's, and the money you save will more than pay for 1 new rim.

GL!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Members

I have the exact same setup for my 545i. I felt pretty rougher handling and seat after I switched to M166+Kumho SPT compared to 18inch OEM. I also suspected Kumho tires for the harsh ride, but I am not sure if I feel a vibration....Keep me posted how you improve your vibration. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

I have Kumho Ecsta SPTs on my 20s and no vibrations here. btw PM sent.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535D, Mystic Blue with Black Exclusive Leather; Active Steering | Comfort Seats | Dark Poplar Wood | Front & Rear Seat Heating | Head-up Display | Headlamp Washers | Logic 7 | High Beam Assist | Media Package | Rear Electric Blind | Sun Protection Glass | Visibility Package

I've just switched from stock style 135 wheels with 245/40/18 Goodyear run flats to style 166M + 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 conti sc2 tyres and in no way is there more vibration or a rougher ride - I'd say is was a huge improvement across the board.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Members

So here's the latest.

The vibration was felt mostly on the seats with shimmy on the steering wheel. I have checked the psi on the tires and they're all fine, I even went as far as filling up tires with nitrogen.

I had mobilewheelrepair.com repair my bent wheel and (btw they did an excellent job) went back to the tire shop to have my wheels balanced and the wheel that was bent is completely fine according to the road force machine no run out on the rim and visually the wheel looks great. Also, the guy at the shop spent extra time on my wheels and he made sure the road force on each tire was under 8 because he is aware that BMW's are extremely sensitive to road force. I was there the whole time and he rotated one tire on the wheel to reduce the road force and overall he was able to get all the tires under 7lbs of road force which he said ideally on BMW's it should be under 3 if possible.

Now the card rides a lot better but it is still not the same feeling as the PS2's. Handling is worse and I still get a little shimmy on the steering wheel at times. Can't figure out what else to do but to buy new tires. Also, I cannot stand the flat spots these tires get after being parked not even overnight but for a few hours. Once the tires cool down and drive again the car feels as though it was never balanced.

Those of you who have or have had Kumho's did you guys have flat spot problems when tires cool down?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Contributors

You can get under 7lbs on the front wheels, but I would be amazed if you can get under 7lbs on the rear wheels if they are #166.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='706912' date='Oct 29 2008, 03:07 PM
You can get under 7lbs on the front wheels, but I would be amazed if you can get under 7lbs on the rear wheels if they are #166.
I got 7 on the passenger rear and 3 on the driver rear. Like I said I was watching him and the machine the whole time and he even pointed out the road force lbs on each tire.

I'm starting to wonder if I have some other problem with my car.

Quick Reply: New Tires on 166m oem wheels