E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New tires at 13,000 miles, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by bimmerspeed
Thanks Blliz, pjinca and HiOffcr for the info...
All that being said, my tires are wearing evenly, I do have sport package. The commonality between us all here is that it seems like the rears are wearing faster than the fronts. That also being said, Thanks to HiOffcr, the UTQG ratings on these are pretty low. so mileage is not on our side. So it prob wont make any sense to take a trip to the dealer to get it checked out. It looks like ill be in the market for some tires...

But isnt it weird that the back is wearing faster than the front, the front has steer, meaning you turn the rubber with 3k+lbs on it and it does not wear as fast as the rear. the front even has the motor right on top of it...

In my case, 2 rear tires wear evenly, tires are at the wear indicators, sport/premium package with 18" wheels. As far as alignment goes, any suggestions on a good laser alignment shop in the Southern California area?
1) it makes perfect sense for the rears to wear quicker, they are the drive wheels and therefore subject to all the torque.
2) For an alignment there is Firstone tires they offer a lifetime alignment, as well as Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa ( I went to them )
3) For tires, I went to Tires Warehouse in Fountain Valley. They are the distributor to all the tire retailers and they gave me a great price.
Good luck
Old 07-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by HiOffcr
Need more info about your car. It sounds like everyone so far is assuming that you have a sport suspension, since they are all hitting the negative camber issue. However, since you say that the tires are wearing evenly, I assume that the negative camber is not an issue as you have the normal suspension, not the sport. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I have a non-sport suspension and my camber is -2.0 as well. Just had it aligned about 3 months ago.

Originally Posted by HiOffcr
Just looked at the UTQG that Dunlop rates the SP Sport 01 and it is a 280AA. Compared to their All season V rated tire (SP 5000A) that is at 340AA.

UTQG explained:
The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear of a tire when tested carefully under controlled conditions. For example, a tire graded 400 should have its useful tread last twice as long as a tire graded 200. Treadwear grades are only valid for comparisons within a manufacturer's product line.

AT 280AA those aren't daily drive tires (I mean it can but....).I know it's a different brand and the UTQG rating varies by manufacturer, but I'm currently on Continental DWS and they are rated at 540. It's only been 3 months but they still look brand new.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: /// 2006 | 530I | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport / Prem / Navi / IPod | LCI EURO SPEC Tail's | LED Licence plate bulbs | LED side turn indicators | Roof Spoiler MORE TO COME!!!!

Well, based on the UTQG, looks like the Dunlap SP Sports are not good...
Next step is to get some wheels, have you guys switched from run flats to non run flats? I have a spare in my trunk. I know some don't have it, but I have a small spare. So I can technically run non run flats, any feed back. I heard that the non run flats have a softer ride, and the run flats provide a harder ride...

Called Tire Warehouse, they were closed, have to call them tomorrow...
Any brands and models that people would recommend...

Now come to think of it, it sounds like a good time to upgrade wheels to either the 172's or the 166's!!! Anyone know anyone selling them?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

Sometimes I just have to shake my head. 12-15K miles on max performance sport tires is TOTALLY normal. They grip great because they use a softer compound. But the softer compound wears way faster than all-seasons or touring tires. If you want your tires to last 40-50K, then you'll have to sacrifice tons of performance. IMO, driving these cars with anything other than great sports tires is a crime. So suck it up and replace your tires often!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by TMack
Sometimes I just have to shake my head. 12-15K miles on max performance sport tires is TOTALLY normal. They grip great because they use a softer compound. But the softer compound wears way faster than all-seasons or touring tires. If you want your tires to last 40-50K, then you'll have to sacrifice tons of performance. IMO, driving these cars with anything other than great sports tires is a crime. So suck it up and replace your tires often!
I agree. The performance is well worth the extra cost. I made that mistake once.....won't do that again
Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by TMack

I don't disagree with you, my car has Falken FK452's on it, not exactly snow tires now.
But considering I wasn't even getting 7500 miles per set of rears (4th set in 18 months?), I had to do something, so I had my rear camber adjusted. I don't expect 50k miles out of this set, I'd be happy if they last me a year
Old 07-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: /// 2006 | 530I | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport / Prem / Navi / IPod | LCI EURO SPEC Tail's | LED Licence plate bulbs | LED side turn indicators | Roof Spoiler MORE TO COME!!!!

So in anyones opinion, what's the best tires to get??
Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I'm happy with my Continental DWS.

I'm on 20s" and they're pretty quiet.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

I went from Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST to Continental DWS and would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind not taking exit ramps at 70-80mph - that's the only place I've felt the performance drop of the change (for me). As a daily driver, the Conti's are quieter and softer, much more forgiving going over bumps and the like. I also tramlined often with the Dunlops - that squirrily feel. That disappeared when the Conti's were mounted.

If you do decide to keep your Dunlop setup I have a pair of 245/40/18 left from my staggered set with plenty of tread left.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by pjinca
I don't disagree with you, my car has Falken FK452's on it, not exactly snow tires now.
But considering I wasn't even getting 7500 miles per set of rears (4th set in 18 months?), I had to do something, so I had my rear camber adjusted. I don't expect 50k miles out of this set, I'd be happy if they last me a year
Falken 452 don't last a darn! I got 10K out of a pair before they went flat and 15K in the front before a bubble. And that's driving semi aggressive. Never Falkens 452 again. I have the Cont. DWS and while the grip is not as good as the 452, the ride is less rough.