E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires at 13,000 miles, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: /// 2006 | 530I | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport / Prem / Navi / IPod | LCI EURO SPEC Tail's | LED Licence plate bulbs | LED side turn indicators | Roof Spoiler MORE TO COME!!!!

Here is my issue: 530i 2006
When I got my car from the dealer, it had Dunlop SP Sport 01 (245/40/18) tires on all 4 wheels (still on the car). The front 2 tires are in great condition. The rear 2 tires are gone. The tread wear indicator is showing that its time to get new ones. Is this normal? After owning several cars, I have never encountered this issue. I am not "burning rubber","pealing out" or anything else. The tires have never lost traction. Any help is greatly appreciated, I really do not understand how this is happening. Any suggestions as to what to do with this issue???
Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

I had those same Tires on my 05 from the dealer also. Rears were gone QUICK,wires were about to bust out, Upgraded to 20's....

Maybe that brand or tire? I know the rear axle sits on an angle on our cars and the inside thread gets chewed much faster.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Get the alignment checked. You don't always notice when it's off and when you do, it's usually too late anyway. It's a usually a good idea to get an alignment when you buy new tires.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: /// 2006 | 530I | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport / Prem / Navi / IPod | LCI EURO SPEC Tail's | LED Licence plate bulbs | LED side turn indicators | Roof Spoiler MORE TO COME!!!!

hmmmm, so it looks like these are junk tires.
I have not checked the alignment, but it does look like its late. The rears have worn evenly. I know under inflated or over inflated will wear them differently, along with out of alignment. but its all worn the same. BMWNA said that they are not responsible for any wear on tires because its a wear and tear item. Called Dunlap they said the tire does not have any mileage warranty. but the expected life is 40k miles. Have an appt with the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do, 13k miles on a tire and its already worn is not a good sign for either the tire or the car. Could their be something with the axle or anything else causing the abnormal wear???
Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by bimmerspeed
hmmmm, so it looks like these are junk tires.
I have not checked the alignment, but it does look like its late. The rears have worn evenly. I know under inflated or over inflated will wear them differently, along with out of alignment. but its all worn the same. BMWNA said that they are not responsible for any wear on tires because its a wear and tear item. Called Dunlap they said the tire does not have any mileage warranty. but the expected life is 40k miles. Have an appt with the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do, 13k miles on a tire and its already worn is not a good sign for either the tire or the car. Could their be something with the axle or anything else causing the abnormal wear???

You need to keep in mind our cars a rear wheel drive and ostensibly performance cars. Performance tires do not last as long as All-Seasons or Touring models. Also, spec for rear wheel alignment for our cars is roughly -2.0 degrees of camber so this will also generally cause more tire wear in the rear.
I have yet to hear of an axle problem, or any other problem for that matter other than rubbing, causing excessive wear.
I would start looking for replacement tires on Tirerack.com or one of our terrific Forum Vendors, I don't think the dealer will be much help other than to part you from a bigger wad of cash.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Black Sapphire Metallic - RPI Exhaust, RPI scoop

Definitely get the alignment checked....even if it doesn't feel like its off

I had a similar problem where my rear tires would only last about 9k. The inside of the tires would go bald much quicker than the rest of the tire. Due to the negative camber on our cars, this behavior is normal but not necessarily normal at only 9k miles! BMW kept saying everything looked ok every time I told them about it and I ended up going through 3 sets of rears.

On my third set of rears, I got them mounted at an indy shop and told him about my issue. He did an alignment check and found that the rear adjustments were extremely off.
Ever since he fixed the alignment, I've been getting 20k+ out of my tires.

Also important to note that every time I took it to the dealer, those jokers said that they couldn't check the alignment without actually putting it on the machine and doing it. In other words, they didn't want to put it on the machine and just check the alignment. Complete BS...once i got the measurement values from the Indy shop, I did go back and complain to the dealer and after some bitching, they ended up giving me a free alignment for the future. Not very much considering the money i spent on tires but at least it was something.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Blizz
Definitely get the alignment checked....even if it doesn't feel like its off

I had a similar problem where my rear tires would only last about 9k. The inside of the tires would go bald much quicker than the rest of the tire. Due to the negative camber on our cars, this behavior is normal but not necessarily normal at only 9k miles! BMW kept saying everything looked ok every time I told them about it and I ended up going through 3 sets of rears.

On my third set of rears, I got them mounted at an indy shop and told him about my issue. He did an alignment check and found that the rear adjustments were extremely off.
Ever since he fixed the alignment, I've been getting 20k+ out of my tires.

Also important to note that every time I took it to the dealer, those jokers said that they couldn't check the alignment without actually putting it on the machine and doing it. In other words, they didn't want to put it on the machine and just check the alignment. Complete BS...once i got the measurement values from the Indy shop, I did go back and complain to the dealer and after some bitching, they ended up giving me a free alignment for the future. Not very much considering the money i spent on tires but at least it was something.

HA!!! I did almost the same thing. When I had springs before and when I first got coilovers during the alignment the shops set my rear camber to spec (-2.0 degrees). This caused me to go through 3 sets of rear tires in 18 months. This last time, before getting new rear tires (set #4) I went to an indy shop, had them take out as much camber as possible, they got it down to -0.8. I am MUCH happier now knowing my rear tires should last significantly longer than the previous sets.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

Need more info about your car. It sounds like everyone so far is assuming that you have a sport suspension, since they are all hitting the negative camber issue. However, since you say that the tires are wearing evenly, I assume that the negative camber is not an issue as you have the normal suspension, not the sport. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That being said, I have ran the Dunlop SP Sports on my 545i and was not happy with them. The looked almost new about 6k miles ago, but when I sold the rims/tires the inside tread was near 30%. I had the same issue with Dunlop SP's in the Mid 90's on my Mustang GT. I would get about 20K miles out of a set, and that was rotating fronts to rears. That being said, I believe the tire compound is soft and wears quickly. If you are not running a staggered tire setup, rotate every 3-6K miles and that will help increase the life.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

Just looked at the UTQG that Dunlop rates the SP Sport 01 and it is a 280AA. Compared to their All season V rated tire (SP 5000A) that is at 340AA.

UTQG explained:
The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear of a tire when tested carefully under controlled conditions. For example, a tire graded 400 should have its useful tread last twice as long as a tire graded 200. Treadwear grades are only valid for comparisons within a manufacturer's product line.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks Blliz, pjinca and HiOffcr for the info...
All that being said, my tires are wearing evenly, I do have sport package. The commonality between us all here is that it seems like the rears are wearing faster than the fronts. That also being said, Thanks to HiOffcr, the UTQG ratings on these are pretty low. so mileage is not on our side. So it prob wont make any sense to take a trip to the dealer to get it checked out. It looks like ill be in the market for some tires...

But isnt it weird that the back is wearing faster than the front, the front has steer, meaning you turn the rubber with 3k+lbs on it and it does not wear as fast as the rear. the front even has the motor right on top of it...

In my case, 2 rear tires wear evenly, tires are at the wear indicators, sport/premium package with 18" wheels. As far as alignment goes, any suggestions on a good laser alignment shop in the Southern California area?

Quick Reply: New tires at 13,000 miles, normal?