E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Struts? At 68K?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acribb' post='850231' date='Apr 17 2009, 06:22 AM
From the replies on this thread, it sounds like I would know if I needed new struts are not. I would not need to even ask the question if I really needed new struts, I would just know, because it would be that obvious if my car actually needed them. At least that's what I got out of this conversation.

I am not sure I need an alignment, since my car drives perfectly straight when I line it up on the road and take my hands off the wheel. Is this a correct assumption? I don't drive the car hard at all and the one and only alignment done by BMW was at about 40K (I now have 68K on it). Incidentally, I will be buying new tires in a few weeks.

I still have a few questions for the time when I will need to replace my struts/shocks-

If I want to keep the car riding as stock as possible, will replacing my struts/shocks with Bilstein Sports retain the same feel that I have now on my 2004 530i sport?

Do I need to replace the springs when I replace the struts/shocks? If so, which aftermarket springs will keep the car feeling as original as possible?

Thanks.....
If you want a nice smooth sport ride go with the Koni yellows with the your stock springs
Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='850274' date='Apr 17 2009, 03:25 PM
If you want a nice smooth sport ride go with the Koni yellows with the your stock springs

My first POST - so be gentle - does the Sport ride much firmer than the SE model? I'm in the market to buy a 530D (3 years old) but can't decide on the Sport or SE variant. My preference is for the looks of the Sport, but the comfort of the SE as i do lots of motorway driving. If i bought a Sport, could i easily change the handling to a more comfortable setting? any advice would be greatfully received - Cheers!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by navman' post='850333' date='Apr 17 2009, 11:47 AM
My first POST - so be gentle - does the Sport ride much firmer than the SE model? I'm in the market to buy a 530D (3 years old) but can't decide on the Sport or SE variant. My preference is for the looks of the Sport, but the comfort of the SE as i do lots of motorway driving. If i bought a Sport, could i easily change the handling to a more comfortable setting? any advice would be greatfully received - Cheers!
Get the sport dont look back
Old 04-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mikeg3tsguap' post='850340' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:54 PM
Get the sport dont look back

Really? - I have heard folks in the UK (and our shitty roads) say the Sport is a rough ride :-)
Guess it's time to go and try both variants out . . .
Old 04-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Any other opinions? Koni or Bilstein?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

personally I have bilsteins but paired with eibach springs and love it. for more stock-like as mentioned above probably go with konis.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by acribb' post='850231' date='Apr 17 2009, 08:22 AM
From the replies on this thread, it sounds like I would know if I needed new struts are not. I would not need to even ask the question if I really needed new struts, I would just know, because it would be that obvious if my car actually needed them. At least that's what I got out of this conversation.

I am not sure I need an alignment, since my car drives perfectly straight when I line it up on the road and take my hands off the wheel. Is this a correct assumption? I don't drive the car hard at all and the one and only alignment done by BMW was at about 40K (I now have 68K on it). Incidentally, I will be buying new tires in a few weeks.

I still have a few questions for the time when I will need to replace my struts/shocks-

If I want to keep the car riding as stock as possible, will replacing my struts/shocks with Bilstein Sports retain the same feel that I have now on my 2004 530i sport?

Do I need to replace the springs when I replace the struts/shocks? If so, which aftermarket springs will keep the car feeling as original as possible?

Thanks.....
You can definitely feel the FLOATYness of your suspension.
Especially during turn or when the suspension/body goes up and down (suspension play)
There's less or no "rebound" from the struts = floaty or feels like you driving a boat only riding on your spring.

Bad Alignment does not always mean pulling to one side when you track forward.
Your toe could be off and your steering will still track forward that you can't feel but your tire will wear out MUCH faster when the TOE is off vs when the camber is off.
The best way is to bring the car to an alignment shop to find out.
ALSO, when you take your car to alignment shop they will only "check" whether it's within factory range then adjust to within spec.
This is their "lazy" practice. Look at the spec. For ex:
If Camber acceptable spec is -2.0 to -1.0 and your is @ -1.9.
(Most shop will not adjust because your car is "within" spec.
So DEMAND to adjust camber to -1.5.
(unless you know what you are doing to keep front at negative to reduce the outer wear on your tires or to adjust understeer)

When you say stock: There two stock: Non Sport Package or Sport Package?
The two have two different stiffness right from the factory.

You don't need to replace spring when you replace the struts BUT if you want to replace the spring to an aftermarket ones then you want to do it while you remove the suspension out of the car.

Which spring to make it feel as original as possible? I'd go w/ Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Sport.
Both are the most "conservative" drop and stiffness.
Eibach Pro Kit is still softer than H&R Sport.
So I'd go w/ Eibach Pro Kit.

My opinion when I was trying to decide my setup:
If your E60 has Sport Spring (lowered w/ either OE Sport Package Spring, Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Sport spring) and want a replacement strut for sportier ride : Bilstein Sport.

If your E60 has Sport Spring (lowered w/ either OE Sport Package Spring, Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Sport spring) and want a replacement strut for LESS sportier ride : Koni FSD

If your E60 has Race Spring (H&R Race or Eibach Sportline) and want a replacement strut for EXTREME SPORt : Koni Sport Yellows adjustable

If your E60 has no sport suspension and just want a replacement strut and keep that smoothness, probably go w/ Koni FSD or Bilstein HD.

For me I ended up w/ H&R Sport and Stock OE Struts for now then when I need to replace my OE Sport Package Struts, I'm going w/ Bilstein Sport.

Here are your selections
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptab...=&brand=all
Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Members

that last post was straight 2 tha point. great job!!!!