E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New ride/Block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its good to know im not alone!! i donnt have that tranny error message ..........yet......just a brake error message, and my kms show up as -6000km (both with a half turn to the key)

hopefully by next week i can get it started, after sitting outside for 2 weeks at -48 with winshield,
im hoping i dont have any error lights on! or major problems

yea the dealership told me about the block heater today,
they also suggested a charger for the battery, it is $300cdn
i dont know if that will help?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hamz98' post='524529' date='Jan 29 2008, 09:58 PM
Well its good to know im not alone!! i donnt have that tranny error message ..........yet......just a brake error message, and my kms show up as -6000km (both with a half turn to the key)

hopefully by next week i can get it started, after sitting outside for 2 weeks at -48 with winshield,

I don't think its the battery. At least that's what they told me. The car's not dead its just frozen. But if you try it and it works please let me know
Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Members

Not to minimize how cold it is where you are (I'm in Wisconsin so I know cold) but windchill is irrelevant to objects. They don't feel it...only humans and animals do. We're having incredible winds tonight and tomorrow so those readings are out of this world yet cars only "feel" and react per actual remperature, not windchill. I'm awaiting my 535xi but my 98 A6 with M1 0W-40 and a 5 year old battery starts w/o problem at -10F or even colder in past years. Hope the 535 is not so fragile in the true cold.

Originally Posted by hamz98' post='524529' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:58 PM

Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

Thats brutal. Hi gents, new to the site and also have a Black Beauty 04 530i. I love the car and have done some simple mods but cant seem to find too many aftermarket parts for it. Does anyone know of any good sites where i might find some exterior/interior parts for my baby? I tried www.beastpowr.com and www.bavauto.com but nothing.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Have you contacted webasto in Germany? they put those things in all german cars.

if getting it sent to CDN is a problem, let me know. Glad to help.

there are various typical block heaters:

factory is usually water heater plus pump plus ventilator to heat cooling water and thus interior. Steering via car's electronics.

after market can be the above but sometimes without the ventilator to come on (as this requires some controlling of the car's electronics) but can also be simply cooling circuit being kept warm. Diesel or petrol versions and add-ons like remote control and even control via mobile phone.

the latter should be enough in your case I suppose.

electric block heater is something to look for in the in the northern european countries, can't imagine that there is nothing for this car. The ones I've seen may be ancient but were no more than a heating rod stuck into the engine's oil pan.

Canada must have that stuff available as well, perhaps not off BMW but what the h**, as long as it warms the block it's doing what you want it to do!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:26 AM
NPe
Members

My Ride: M6 E63 Sapphire black Z3 Coupe R4Turbo Hellrot, semi race. (670bhp) Z3 Coupe V8Turbo design work ongoing, full race. Sold: 545i Titanium Silver

I have retrofited a Defa contact block heater on my 545i. (http://cor.defa.com/)
530i look here http://www.defa.com/finn_dok_h.php3?merke=...ang=3&ndid=
The major part of engine wear is the cold starts. No question about that! (Regardless to oil type. Though less or worse depending on type)

I use the heater up until +10deg Celcius outside, and plug it in/set timer about 3h before I use the car.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nicco' post='524538' date='Jan 29 2008, 11:42 PM
I don't think its the battery. At least that's what they told me. The car's not dead its just frozen. But if you try it and it works please let me know
For me it was the battery, got it into a warm/ garage and charged it up once the battery un-froze,
now my e60 is back on the icy roads
im thinking it was frozen solid, which drained it, but im honestly not sure.

check out your battery in the trunk if u can, it has an indicator color, if it is Green, its probaly not your battery.