E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New ride/Block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008 | 08:33 PM
Members

Hey guys, i bought my self a 04' bmw 530i (Sport package + winter Package)
loving the car and this site...

unfortuanly i park out side, and all week it is going to be -25 during the day to -45 at night.
right now its -40 and the car is struggling to start....but starting

does anyone know if the 04' 530's comes with a stock block heater?
if so where is it, i couldnt find it?

Old 01-27-2008 | 08:37 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by hamz98' post='523661' date='Jan 28 2008, 04:33 PM
Crikey!!!!! That is awfully cold. Where on this earth does it get that cold during the day?

BTW Sorry - no clue about your question. We don't even get the winter pack option here.
Old 01-27-2008 | 08:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by faarcanal' post='523662' date='Jan 28 2008, 01:37 AM
Crikey!!!!! That is awfully cold. Where on this earth does it get that cold during the day?

BTW Sorry - no clue about your question. We don't even get the winter pack option here.
Alberta Canada, its -44 C (- 48 F) right now ...i hate to put the car through this , just hoping i can locate a block heater
Old 01-27-2008 | 08:58 PM
Members

No, the E60 does not come with a block heater. There may be an aftermarket solution but check this out with your dealer 1st!

In Europe, we can get engine heater systems from the factory but this is not available in NA.
Old 01-27-2008 | 09:47 PM
Senior Members

Smile

Originally Posted by bad2bone' post='523667' date='Jan 27 2008, 11:58 PM
No, the E60 does not come with a block heater.
In Europe, we can get engine heater systems from the factory but this is not available in NA.
I know, that is sad, BMW, Do something....
Put that as an option for all BMWs
Old 01-28-2008 | 04:41 AM
Members

I don't think you should have a problem starting as you have synthetic oil. My last 5 series was a 1999 540iA. I dorve in similar conditions to yours and often parked outside over night. I never had trouble starting the car. I think the "hard on the engine" idea comes from the perception that the engine is oil starved when you start it in extremely cold conditions. The dealer assured me that when using synthetic oil, the viscosity is not a problem in cold weather. Having said that, perhpas you can find out what the European part number is and order it through a dealer over there. With internet access, it should be a simple task.

Does the engine turn freely when you try to start it at -26C?

grover
Old 01-28-2008 | 05:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by grover432' post='523753' date='Jan 28 2008, 08:41 AM
I don't think you should have a problem starting as you have synthetic oil. My last 5 series was a 1999 540iA. I dorve in similar conditions to yours and often parked outside over night. I never had trouble starting the car. I think the "hard on the engine" idea comes from the perception that the engine is oil starved when you start it in extremely cold conditions. The dealer assured me that when using synthetic oil, the viscosity is not a problem in cold weather. Having said that, perhpas you can find out what the European part number is and order it through a dealer over there. With internet access, it should be a simple task.

Does the engine turn freely when you try to start it at -26C?

grover
thanks for all the help!
yea that sounds like a good idea, im going to look into the european part.
i tried to start it this morning, but it must have been straved for oil , did not start
Old 01-28-2008 | 04:39 PM
Members

hmm well i just looked at the safety inspection i got done 2 weeks ago
and they checked off "block heater" ......... anyone know where it could possibly be hidden!?!?

maybe the bmw dealership just checked off all and pocketed there $300
its killing me having my car dead outside :S
Old 01-29-2008 | 01:54 PM
Members

I feel your pain. Same car, same weather, same result no start. i have mine in an unheated garage. it tried so hard but no go. I got a message saying transmission fault after a few tries

I talked to the dealer and they said they have about 10 cars in their shop with the same issue and the same msg. they're just leaving them in the heated garage for a day and they're starting by the end of the day. He told me to stop trying to start it as it could cause battery damage. When the weather warms up significantly, it should work.

If you can get it started, you should start it every couple of hours while we're in this deep freeze.
Old 01-29-2008 | 02:56 PM
Members

Greetings!

I have a '04 545. It's been in (with wind chill) -38 oC and the car was parked outside for over 30 hours and it started with only a slight hiccup.

However, after a 20 minute commute, 8 hours in minus forty something, another rough start...and a bumpy/ practically off-road 20 minute ride over moguls of ice and snow and another 12 hours in the bitter cold, the battery wasn't strong enough for another start. Seats were frozen solid as well.

Futhermore, my traction control is OFF and won't turn on; Lost control only when I was testing the limits of the Dunlop Graspix.

Anyway, I called the dealership just now and they said there is no blockheater available for the V8.

Still love the car.

Quick Reply: New ride/Block heater?