E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New owner - simple questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had a BMW and love the car (2007 530i).

I have a few questions:

1) When I turn off the car and exit it leaves the radio on unless I lock the car. If my car is in the garage in the house I don't tend to lock it. The problem is you can hear the subwoofer in the house. I have found the radio will turn off if I hit the off button twice. Is their an option to turn the radio off every time you turn the car off (IE: Disable "Radio mode").
2) When I turn off the car and exit the headlights turn off and the pathway lights have never turned on. My garage door opener dome light is burnt out so I tend to trip over things in the garage. How do I keep the headlights on or have pathway lighting work (the pathway lighting is set to 40s in the menu but it doesn't seem to do anything).
3) When I push the gas pedal past about 80% of the way to the floor the gas pedal has a change in feel... a little stiffer. It feels intentional, but I have no idea what this is suppose to signify other than I am probably wasting gas.

I am not sure if it matters but I have the keys that you don't put in the ignition (it was some option that I can't remember the name of right now) and the premium sound system.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by sstudham' post='389691' date='Feb 10 2007, 06:42 PM
I have never had a BMW and love the car (2007 530i).

I have a few questions:

1) When I turn off the car and exit it leaves the radio on unless I lock the car. If my car is in the garage in the house I don't tend to lock it. The problem is you can hear the subwoofer in the house. I have found the radio will turn off if I hit the off button twice. Is their an option to turn the radio off every time you turn the car off (IE: Disable "Radio mode").
2) When I turn off the car and exit the headlights turn off and the pathway lights have never turned on. My garage door opener dome light is burnt out so I tend to trip over things in the garage. How do I keep the headlights on or have pathway lighting work (the pathway lighting is set to 40s in the menu but it doesn't seem to do anything).
3) When I push the gas pedal past about 80% of the way to the floor the gas pedal has a change in feel... a little stiffer. It feels intentional, but I have no idea what this is suppose to signify other than I am probably wasting gas.

I am not sure if it matters but I have the keys that you don't put in the ignition (it was some option that I can't remember the name of right now) and the premium sound system.
The keyless entry system you have is called 'Comfort Access' in BMW-speak.
1. By design, the radio remains on until you lock the car. So you either need to turn it off manually or just lock your car.
2. Because you have Comfort Access the procedure for activating pathway lighting is a bit different. You need to turn off the ignition first (with comfort access you do this by pressing the start/stop button a 2nd time). Now pull the light stalk (as if you were flashing the lights); this will activate the pathway lighting.
3. From the sounds of it... I think you are feeling the kickdown point in the pedal. If you push further past this resistance point while driving it will signal to that car that you need maximum power and the transmission will change down a few gears.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

1. Some software versions have various "audio remains on" bugs; perhaps yours is one of these. The audio system is supposed to turn off when you turn off the car, but I think if you have the start button the car does not think it's properly "turned off" until you hit the stop button the second time, or everything is quiet for ~15 minutes (and in fact the car will restart without the key for ~15 minutes if you only hit the stop button once)

2. You need to switch the car off, then pull the light lever as if you intended to flash with your high beams; the low beams will then turn on and stay on for the time specified. This one actually is in the manual...

3. If you have an auto gearbox, what you are feeling is probably the kickdown switch. Otherwise the accelerator should be smooth throughout. May be something as trivial as the electrical cables getting trapped, or the joints needing a little lube.

Edit: Raighne was faster. Damn. Need to improve my typing speed. BTW - the procedure for 2. is the same whether you have CA or not...
Old 02-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Members

Thank you. That answered all three.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='389705' date='Feb 10 2007, 07:13 PM

1. Some software versions have various "audio remains on" bugs; perhaps yours is one of these. The audio system is supposed to turn off when you turn off the car, but I think if you have the start button the car does not think it's properly "turned off" until you hit the stop button the second time, or everything is quiet for ~15 minutes (and in fact the car will restart without the key for ~15 minutes if you only hit the stop button once)

2. You need to switch the car off, then pull the light lever as if you intended to flash with your high beams; the low beams will then turn on and stay on for the time specified. This one actually is in the manual...
For 1... As I mentioned having audio on until you lock the car is a feature of Comfort Access (it's not one of the audio bugs in this case)
Also for 2. the procedure for switching 'off' the car is still a bit different than for cars without CA... auxillary power remains on until you lock the car so you actually need to hit the stop button twice (the 2nd press turns off auxillary) then pathway lighting can be triggered by a headlight flash.

BTW, the other thing comfort access does when you lock is to electrically lock the steering wheel. The strange blade-like sound you hear a few seconds after you unlock the car is the steering wheel unlocking.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

For #1: Just hold down the start/stop button a little longer. No need to push twice. Everything will shut down including the radio.