E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Owner - 545i

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i (everything), 08 Corvette (4LT, F55, MN6, NPP)

I recently inherited my late father in law's 545i. I test drove a 335i a few years ago when I was considering getting one but was spooked by the HPFP issues. I had driven this car before but had not fully appreciated how solid and satisfying to drive it is. It appears to be fully optioned except for cooled seats and the other seat option that provides vibration. It's only got 47k miles on it (2004 model year) and other than a few body scratches that are fixable and some curb rash on one of the rims it's in fantastic shape.

I also own a 2008 Corvette and, although it obviously has more grunt, I was amazed the first time I opened the 545 up on a highway. Also very impressed with steering, brakes and overall solid feel.

The only thing I've noticed that's the slightest bit disappointing is that the AC takes much longer to get cold than my other cars. Also, the passenger side dash vents feel like they're about 10 degrees cooler than those on the driver's side. Has anyone ever had any issues with this?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

although not under the best of circumstances, I hope you enjoy the ride...

The AC settings can be set in the Idrive menu maybe the passenger side is set hotter dan the driver side...take a look there!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My thoughts exactly, not under the best circumstances, but welcome to the 5er family. Have you tried hitting the "Max" button? Or setting the AC through the iDrive?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i (everything), 08 Corvette (4LT, F55, MN6, NPP)

Originally Posted by bimmerfamily2010
My thoughts exactly, not under the best circumstances, but welcome to the 5er family. Have you tried hitting the "Max" button? Or setting the AC through the iDrive?
I did go through the climate menus on i-drive and the only thing I saw that may have affected it was the screen where you set the distribution of air among the three outlets on each side. The dash vents for both sides appeared to be set the same. I'll ask the dealer about it the next time I have it in for service.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Congrats on the newly aquired vehicle. I inherited my 545 as well, but only because my parents owed me a ton of money and I ended up settling with them by taking the car even though they were still well away from paying it off.

I love my 545 to death . Its one of the super early builds and is still running like a champ. Have a great time modding it out. All the vendors on here are awesome to deal with. Nerweezy up there could help you out with almost anything you need.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

congrats buddy!@ Make sure in IDRIVE it's set cold enough. And also, it's flipped to the blue zone. May the mods being!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Members

Welcome to the forum ! Yes its one of the early builds, but one day will be a classic because they only made them for 2 years. Congrats !!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by russ_777
It appears to be fully optioned except for cooled seats
I wouldn't concern yourself too much about not having cooled seats. They're really "not all that" as a feature. On a really hot day (and we've had about 20 of them in a row into the 90s here) I'll try half an hour with the cooled seats off and half an hour with them on and I can barely notice a difference. They're definitely working, I've got no doubt about that - there is something, but it's not anything like as impressive as you might expect. I tend to leave them turned off now to rid myself of the noise you hear behind your head when they're on. It's like white noise or fan noise, or as if you've left a window/sunroof open. It's not very loud, but it disturbs your chat or music just a little bit, and considering the benefits of the cooling (i.e. hardly any benefit) they're not worth the noise. I certainly wouldn't make that a key required option if I were looking to buy another E60. On another car maybe, but not on this one.

I also find the climate control on this car somewhat disappointing. When looking in the display the first time at all the available parameters you can choose you'd think you could set it up to be the perfect system. Somehow that never pans out though. Rather than hit MAX though, I usually just turn the fan speed dial up to about half way - or just to the point where I'm being cooled enough from the chest-level vents. After 10-15 mins I'll hit automatic.

Biggest tip is to press the recirculated air button (twice). That way you're cooling and recooling the air in the cabin instead of constantly trying to cool air coming in from outside.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

. I love my 545i to death also .

Quick Reply: New Owner - 545i