E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New opinions here on Gearbox options 550Sport, timing is my overall is

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok just got to see my dealer, they have a 2008 car coming i can have it in 10 days with all my options except the steeringn wheel paddles car will be steptronic

Now I dont want the 6 speed manual i am in brutal NYC traffic daily so this will not make sense

but I hate the way the tiptronic feels its like backwards to me.

Now if i want the paddles(sport auto) i have to wait til August late August for sure and my issue is my lease is up and I can not extend it and i need to drop the car off very soon, I dont have another ride to use in the meantime.

Now is this new sport auto option just the paddles or they are changing the gear ratios and and software etc? I dont know and my dealer does not know.

I dont know what to do my timing is terrible right now whichever car i end up getting.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by nisonger212' post='427582' date='May 23 2007, 01:29 PM
Ok just got to see my dealer, they have a 2008 car coming i can have it in 10 days with all my options except the steeringn wheel paddles car will be steptronic

Now I dont want the 6 speed manual i am in brutal NYC traffic daily so this will not make sense

but I hate the way the tiptronic feels its like backwards to me.

Now if i want the paddles(sport auto) i have to wait til August late August for sure and my issue is my lease is up and I can not extend it and i need to drop the car off very soon, I dont have another ride to use in the meantime.

Now is this new sport auto option just the paddles or they are changing the gear ratios and and software etc? I dont know and my dealer does not know.

I dont know what to do my timing is terrible right now whichever car i end up getting.

Sorry I don't have the answer for you but remember the summer is here. You can enjoy the power and still look good in the car with out the paddle shifters or you can wait till august and miss the whole summer driving the car just for an option. I settled for mine because I did not want to wait. It most of the options I wanted except the sports package. But under my circumstances the sport package really did not make much of a difference because I have the 535xi. In xi's the suspension does not change because of the 4 wheel drive. I'll buy 18'' wheels soon for the car. I do wish I had comfort seats but the dakota leather is fine, they're very comfortable. What I do love is the engine, there is the real sport in it.

On the other hand the 2008 550sport comes with a cool new shifter with a sport button. It looks a little like mine but different, a little sportier.

Hope I helped...Rick.....
Old 05-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

From what we've seen so far, it seems as if the sport automatic is more than just paddles. It's most likely the steptronic with paddles and different software and/or hydraulics.

Again, it's speculation but it's probably safe to say it's not going to be just the step with paddles...
Old 05-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Members

i agree it has to be more than just paddles but on the new 335 you cna add paddles cheaply

why doesnt anyone have more solid information on this? Especially the dealer
Old 05-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

im not surprised the dealer doesnt have any real tangible info but, i am surprised someone from e60.net hasnt had a chance to test drive or know someone that has yet...other than what is written about the new Sport Auto Trans i guess it will come down to hearing from someone here that has driven it or a review by auto blog...

e60 link

As far as delivery, I ordered with sport auto trans 4/27 and still doesnt have a production date set...eta on build is by 2nd week of June so, barring any delays (production, shipping, held at VPC, etc), im looking at delivery around July 20th on the west coast...should be a couple of weeks earlier for east coast shipped vehicles...
Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 AM
CWG
Members

My Ride: 08 550i Titanium Silver, Black interior, sport package, steptronic

Seems like all indications are that there is more to the sport auto than the paddles, but I have the 08 550i sport with the step auto and I am very impressed with the trans. Takes a little getting used to but it shifts pretty agresvively even in non sport mode and is a blast in "manual" mode. I have the manual itrans n my c2 porsche and have mostly owned manuals, but I needed a car to drive in traffic on the way to work so I really needed to get the auto as about 1/3 of the stop and go commute is up a grade.

I am satisfied with my decison not to wait for the sport trans. At first I hated the look of the "norleco shaver" shift lever., but I have to admit it is ergonomic and has a good feel. Its growing on me.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

If the lease is your only real problem, have you considered a longer term rental as a bridging solution ?

Depending on the car you choose it will probably be not much more if any over your lease rates.

I, personally, would wait for the sports box.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

If you look at the specs of the 3series, the 328i gets the regular steptronic while with the 335i you can get the sport auto. I think it is an entirely new transmission and not related at all to what is currently available in the 5. I would wait until august for the transmission you want.