E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

new i drive ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open up the API so all those lovely Sober Worms can crawl in? NO THANK YOU!

Changing station - or CD track - I agree with jet190rs - just hit the up/down buttons on the wheel!

OK, so here's my wish list:

1. A button on the dash/wheel to change CDs in the multichanger!
2. A button on the dash/wheel to change mode (CD/FM)

(someone please tell me there already is such a function and I've missed it!!)

3. That silly little knob that sits on its own on the dash to mute the audio/adjust the volume - how about a lovely tactile wheel next to the iDrive?

4. BMW PLEASE bring back that little wheel between the face level vents to set the temp offset of the face vents that was so useful in the e39 - having to go through tiers of iDrive menus just to get a bit more cool fresh air to the face is really not user friendly...
Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='211177' date='Dec 14 2005, 01:35 PM
I think the actual software and i-drive system is developed and maintained by Seimens VDO. So blaming BMW is not entirely accurate.
Hi JS. Yes, you are right. However, BMW is responsible for who it hires to do its software. In this regard, I was speaking as though Seimens VDO is an extension of BMW. But, more precisely stated Seimens VDO is software challenged. BMW is only software-firm-selection challenged.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by vnod' post='211212
I think the actual software and i-drive system is developed and maintained by Seimens VDO. So blaming BMW is not entirely accurate.
Hi JS. Yes, you are right. However, BMW is responsible for who it hires to do its software. In this regard, I was speaking as though Seimens VDO is an extension of BMW. But, more precisely stated Seimens VDO is software challenged. BMW is only software-firm selection challenged.
[/quote]

Old 12-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

I absolutely agree. I have no problem with the iDrive concept. But I think that BMW went wrong only in regards to the audio controls.

iDrive is a great solution to handle the now hundreds of secondary functions that luxury cars like these have to have. It's perfect for customizing the climate controls, navigation, setting brightness controls, customizing the equalizer, etc. But the radio and CD functions are not secondary.

If BMW gave me back basic radio/cd preset and mode buttons, I'd be completely happy with iDrive.

Are you out there BMW?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='211221' date='Dec 14 2005, 03:08 PM
I absolutely agree. I have no problem with the iDrive concept. But I think that BMW went wrong only in regards to the audio controls.

iDrive is a great solution to handle the now hundreds of secondary functions that luxury cars like these have to have. It's perfect for customizing the climate controls, navigation, setting brightness controls, customizing the equalizer, etc. But the radio and CD functions are not secondary.

If BMW gave me back basic radio/cd preset and mode buttons, I'd be completely happy with iDrive.

Are you out there BMW?
Your preference is as good as mine, but I prefer the uncluttered look--which could be less cluttered. In this regard, you guys that want the radio, etc., unbundled have a point. BMW unbundles the basic climate-control functions--which produces clutter.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

Originally Posted by Busterdino' post='211201' date='Dec 14 2005, 08:23 PM

Changing station - or CD track - I agree with jet190rs - just hit the up/down buttons on the wheel!

On my MY 06 the star and diamond buttons on the wheel are programmable and can change between audion sources...AM/FM/WB/CD and back again...

also, if I'm not mistaken the track change buttons on the dash by the CD player will also change radion stations when listening to AM or FM.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Red' post='211234

On my MY 06 the star and diamond buttons on the wheel are programmable and can change between audion sources...AM/FM/WB/CD and back again...

also, if I'm not mistaken the track change buttons on the dash by the CD player will also change radion stations when listening to AM or FM.
[/quote]You are correct. Once you get to the raido, CD, or SAT (at least) you can use the buttons as you indicate. And, the plus/minus buttons on the other side of the wheel will control the volume.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

Originally Posted by Busterdino' post='211201' date='Dec 14 2005, 07:23 PM

Yup! Look's like you've missed it...
Old 12-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

It's bad design to have many of the Logic 7 controls like bass/treble and balance/fade in the system part of the main menu (push down from start) rather than in the entertainment part. I would put all stereo controls under the entertainment category, and not split some of them up at the main control menu (where more vehicle functions, like maintenance) are.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='211192
It suppose to be one single push of a button. Now I have to:
1. Hold down the iDrive for few seconds
2. Push once for Radio
3. Push once for Preset
4. Switch to the radio I want
5. Hold the iDrive to the right for few seconds
6. Push once for Nav
7. Push down "twice" to get back to Map Facing North
8. And if I don't like to radio station, I have to do it all over again.

I use voice command too, but it will be so much quicker if e60 come with radio channel buttons.
1st of all, you have too many steps. If you hold down the iDrive controller instead of tapping it, you are taken to the screen you were before. For example, if you started at map facing north, go do something else, then hold iDrive in the direction of NAV, then it will show map facing north again. Steps 6 and 7 should be eliminated.

For the radio -
Why don't you just use the buttons on the steering wheel? It takes me 1 button press to change between presets.
[/quote]

Well, maybe we have different CIP version (I have 19.x). But when I try to switch between Radio and NAV, these are the steps I have to go through. I am not trying to add more steps to show my point.

There are too many version of CIP out there. Seems no 2 e60 has exactly same iDrive function. Maybe there is somthing wrong with mine, but I can't even tell.

Quick Reply: new i drive ideas