E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new i drive ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

OK - after having the car a week and spending lots of time in it I know what they should do with the i drive.
They need to have 3 settings for the overal operation
1-turn off and put some minimal radio controls by the cd player
This would make my wife and all of the car critics happy

2-have it function as it does now. It took a while to learn - but now I love it and could not picture an easier way to do things,but

3-advanced settings - open the computer up and let you program everything like color, customize menus, etc
for example - I like the picture of the maual radio dial on the idrive, but it disappears when you go to the preset screen
BMW should let you customize the i drive more

This solution should not be hard to institute and would keep the computer challenged happy (such as my wife and the car magazine writers) - BTW, my wife has learned to be fluent in ebay and paypal though - and this takes much more time to learn than the idrive
Old 12-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Amoung all the iDrive functions. I agree with dgjk, Radio/CD control should be seprate from iDrive, so we don't have to switch it between Entertainment/NAV all the time.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I really don't understand why its so hard for ppl to deal with the radio. If you can use a cell phone and a pc, you can use iDrive, its not that difficult. Its almost as if ppl don't WANT to learn it because its weird and new.

When cell phone first got popular a few years ago, ppl weren't used to pressing "send" and "end", and said it was weird/difficult/akward. Then they got used to it and everything was cool.

Soon everyone will think using iDrive to change radio stations will be normal.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='211144' date='Dec 14 2005, 12:25 PM
OK - after having the car a week and spending lots of time in it I know what they should do with the i drive.

But, what about SIRIUS, BT, communicaton with BMW, vehicle warnings, etc., etc.? One can, in effect, turn the i-Drive off by refusing to use it. If your wife likes FM, for example, then just always let FM be the last-tuned entertainment source. Then, when she starts up all she has to do is click to accept (at the worst) and to pull back on the joystick to get to FM (usually).

2-have it function as it does now. It took a while to learn - but now I love it and could not picture an easier way to do things,but

OK, but, how about BMW putting out a CIP that works properly on all cars/functions as a first order of business?

3-advanced settings - open the computer up and let you program everything like color, customize menus, etc
for example - I like the picture of the maual radio dial on the idrive, but it disappears when you go to the preset screen
BMW should let you customize the i drive more not yet, please.

This solution should not be hard to institute and would keep the computer challenged happy (such as my wife and the car magazine writers) - BTW, my wife has learned to be fluent in ebay and paypal though - and this takes much more time to learn than the idrive

BMW is software challenged. While customization would be nice, I am hoping that BMW gets what's out right before becoming yet more ambitious with software and functions. And, given that the Company acheives this modest goal, then customization would be fine if it would guarantee that it won't foul previously working things up. Be careful what you wish for without making all the needed qualifications to the genie.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by vnod' post='211172

But, what about SIRIUS, BT, communicaton with BMW, vehicle warnings, etc., etc.? One can, in effect, turn the i-Drive off by refusing to use it. If your wife likes FM, for example, then just always let FM be the last-tuned entertainment source. Then, when she starts up all she has to do is click to accept (at the worst) and to pull back on the joystick to get to FM (usually).

OK, but, how about BMW putting out a CIP that works properly on all cars/functions as a first order of business?

BMW should let you customize the i drive more not yet, please.

BMW is software challenged. While customization would be nice, I am hoping that BMW gets what's out right before becoming yet more ambitious with software and functions. And, given that the Company acheives this modest goal, then customization would be fine if it would guarantee that it won't foul previously working things up. Be careful what you wish for without making all the needed qualifications to the genie.
[/quote]

I think the actual software and i-drive system is developed and maintained by Seimens VDO. So blaming BMW is not entirely accurate.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='211162' date='Dec 14 2005, 10:17 AM
I really don't understand why its so hard for ppl to deal with the radio. If you can use a cell phone and a pc, you can use iDrive, its not that difficult. Its almost as if ppl don't WANT to learn it because its weird and new.

When cell phone first got popular a few years ago, ppl weren't used to pressing "send" and "end", and said it was weird/difficult/akward. Then they got used to it and everything was cool.

Soon everyone will think using iDrive to change radio stations will be normal.
I have no problem using the iDrive. But I feel it's stupid switching between screens whenever I want to change radio channels while I am using my NAV map. You probably read the post about people complaining Start/Stop button that create one small step to start the engine. But this is much worst.

It suppose to be one single push of a button. Now I have to:
1. Hold down the iDrive for few seconds
2. Push once for Radio
3. Push once for Preset
4. Switch to the radio I want
5. Hold the iDrive to the right for few seconds
6. Push once for Nav
7. Push down "twice" to get back to Map Facing North
8. And if I don't like to radio station, I have to do it all over again.

I use voice command too, but it will be so much quicker if e60 come with radio channel buttons.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530i. Silver Grey/Black/Poplar- Cold Weather - Sport - Premium - HUD - Comfort Access - Comfort Seats - PDC - Automatic - Nav

I'd like it if they could make use of bluetooth and set up DUN. That way we could all get internet access via idrive. Download weather ,traffic inconjunction w/ nav. Re-route you around flooded or bad weather or traffic jams. How easy would that be!!! come on guys.... Open up the I-DRIVE api and let people develop third party apps!

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='211159' date='Dec 14 2005, 12:56 PM
Amoung all the iDrive functions. I agree with dgjk, Radio/CD control should be seprate from iDrive, so we don't have to switch it between Entertainment/NAV all the time.

Just leave it in entertainment mode and then have nav on the right hand box. That way you get both.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

I cant complain about the idrive.but maybe because i dont have nav..but still the 7 series idrive sucks so bad!
be thankfull you under appreciative e60 owners!!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='211180' date='Dec 14 2005, 01:37 PM
It suppose to be one single push of a button. Now I have to:
1. Hold down the iDrive for few seconds
2. Push once for Radio
3. Push once for Preset
4. Switch to the radio I want
5. Hold the iDrive to the right for few seconds
6. Push once for Nav
7. Push down "twice" to get back to Map Facing North
8. And if I don't like to radio station, I have to do it all over again.

I use voice command too, but it will be so much quicker if e60 come with radio channel buttons.
1st of all, you have too many steps. If you hold down the iDrive controller instead of tapping it, you are taken to the screen you were before. For example, if you started at map facing north, go do something else, then hold iDrive in the direction of NAV, then it will show map facing north again. Steps 6 and 7 should be eliminated.

For the radio -
Why don't you just use the buttons on the steering wheel? It takes me 1 button press to change between presets.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by dfunk' post='211185

Just leave it in entertainment mode and then have nav on the right hand box. That way you get both.
[/quote]

. . . yeah and then have those third party send you pop ups, spam, and create programs that causes idrive to lock up, and etc. Though I do agree with opening up API, I have to say that there are benefits with limiting it.

Just take the car as it is. Now that the performance thrill has set in, you're wondering why you bought the car aside from its performance, right?

Quick Reply: new i drive ideas