E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New here... Potential purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 03:34 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: No BMW
Default New here... Potential purchase

Hello, my name is Mike, I am new here, but not new to car forum etiquette.

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 2007 530i that has the upgraded CIC system in it. Of which I don't really want, but the seller doesn't really want to take it out. So, I am considering buying the car, taking it out to resell it.

Now, this is NOT a for sale ad and if I am in the wrong place, please move this to the right section..

What is a reasonable price to pay for a full used CIC system with the 8.8 inch screen? I am only asking from a standpoint of negotiating the price of the car.

Again, I am not trying to sell it here. If I end up with the car, I will open and pay for a proper for sale ad.

Thank you
Old 12-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

They vary on how complete they are. You can look through ebay and cl to get an idea. A couple thousand would be a good start. Good luck on that negotiation.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:20 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

What are you going to put back in place of the CIC system? It will be a serious hassle to "downgrade" it back to a CCC once the CIC is already installed and working.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:29 PM
New Members

The owner still has all of the original system. I was thinking that to put back in. He said it could be done.

Why is it such a hassle? I'm new to these parts, but I am willing to learn.

Originally Posted by twh
What are you going to put back in place of the CIC system? It will be a serious hassle to "downgrade" it back to a CCC once the CIC is already installed and working.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

why not save the hassle and just keep the cic? its a pretty nice upgrade.
plus you can still get a few bucks for the old parts.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:50 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by mboat
The owner still has all of the original system. I was thinking that to put back in. He said it could be done.

Why is it such a hassle? I'm new to these parts, but I am willing to learn.
In order to revert to to the CCC, you will need to first remove a bunch of stuff from the dash, then put the old stuff back in and then...reprogram the car where it concerns whatever is required to remove the new modules and reinstall the old modules. Unless the current owner is giving you all the tools (OBD cable and software) and has written down exactly what needs to be done, this is going to be a serious time consumer. Bottom line, it isn't just plug and play.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Why not buy the car, negotiate CCC into the deal, and just sell off the CCC?

Agree with the others, MAJOR headache for what amounts to a pretty substantial downgrade.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:58 AM
New Members

Well, it goes like this.

The car is advertised/listed as the upgraded CIC system as coming with the car as an option, but not installed. It's priced with the idea in mind that the old CCC system is still installed.
Basically the seller told me it would be more convenient to leave the CIC system in the car so he didn't have to put it back to the old system. He said he was trained how to change it out and he could do it, but would rather not mess with it.

At this point with it installed, it puts the price of the car not out of range to pay for it, but out of the agreed upon budget my wife and I set to spend on a car for me. So the idea being I either get the car without it, or I buy it as is, put the old system back in, and sell off the upgraded system to stay within budget.

But as I'm learning, it's not plug and play, thus making it not as much of an option for me to remove it and sell it off.

I guess I have some decisions to make.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Just how much is he asking? Is it really that cheap without it than with it that it's make or break?
Old 12-15-2014, 07:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2005

You said your new to this type of car, besides CCC, how is the transmission, this puppy is notorious for that, this can be a bigger headache than that electronic display.

I recently underwent the hassle of getting the tranny replaced, thanks to the warranty I had purchased.

Quick Reply: New here... Potential purchase