E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy with a basket case 530xi

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Default New guy with a basket case 530xi

Hello - Dave from Green Bay, I picked up a 2007 530xi automatic with 133k for $2500 with minor front end damage. Vehicle was backed into while parked. Ended up needing a hood, both headlights, top radiator support, etc. I patched it up with mostly used parts, but then it's been a string of other failures and issues.
1) CCC unit totally died, had it rebuilt for $400 I believe
2) All 4 TPMS sensors were dead, tires were bald, installed new sensors and new tires
3) Check engine light on for P0402 catalytic converter not working properly. Smells rich ALL the time but fuel trim levels are good, MPGs good. Sounds like an exhaust leak on cold startup tbh.
4) Rear brake pad wear indicator bad, even though brakes are fine. Changed that out.
5) Went to drive it, ABS sensor failure somewhere, giving 4x4 disabled, ABS, ESC, etc etc malfunction indicator. Autozone scantool wont talk to the BMW ABS computer.
6) My used headlights are a hot mess. Driver side one doesn't turn with steering wheel (dynamic), and light output is weak. Passenger one has all cracked wiring insulation and is acting up, sometimes doesn't turn on.
7) I took it to an indy european auto shop about catalytic converter problem, along with two known good (used) catalytic converter/manifolds etc. They said it would be $800 in labor to change them out because a passenger motor mount needs to be removed, etc. They also said my front U-joint (at differential) is totally shot, and that a replacement front drive shaft is of course expensive from BMW, and labor is expensive, the usual stuff.
8) On my way home from indy repair shop, I noticed air vents went ice cold (no heat blowing). I pulled over quickly and noticed cooling fan running at high speed. Hooked up my scan tool and coolant temp was at 226 and climbing. A second later an engine overheat message appeared. I shut it off and had it towed home. I'm guessing coolant pump failed, but now it seems to be working again.

I want to like this car. I do. It drives so nice, I love everything about how BMWs steer, brake, shift, how the doors shut, how comfortable it is. But this car is a mess and I'm not sure I can tackle all these repairs. The other weird thing is, I joined this forum because it seems like there's NOTHING for e60 530's on the web. Like Youtube videos for exhaust manifolds or drive shafts etc. It's all for 3-series (E90s for example) or if it's an E60, it's an M5 or it's how to change out your angel eye bulbs etc. Not a lot of in-depth tech stuff it seemed.

Any advice for me?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Hi Dave! First of all, let me welcome you to the forum
And welcome to the trial and tribulations of being a BMW owner. These cars are pretty sophisticated and when they run well, there's nothing like driving a bimmer! But when they experience problems, they can be a money pit unless you're good with a wrench.

I'm not sure if you went into this purchase with eyes wide open or not, but it seems like a lot of your problems stem from the front end damage, which was probably more extensive than it appears. Especially the coolant issue. Or it may not have been fixed properly by your indy. And then your use of used parts... well, you get what you pay for. The headlight wiring is notoriously bad on these cars, so if you didn't get new rewiring done, there's bound to be issues there.

I have the exact same year and car, except that mine's a 6MT. At 133k, there are givens that need to be replaced like water pump, TPMS sensors, brakes, shocks, perhaps even the exhaust system. It's the price of admission to this club, sorry to say.

I'm moving your post to the general E60 discussion section where I'm sure you'll get more helpful advice. Good luck!