E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New E60 owner with praise, complaints and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Originally Posted by Razor1973
Several people have recommended the JB4. I read on their site and it doesn't explain how it is you install it. Do you have to open the ECU box? I hope not, much less solder. Are there instructions posted somewhere, ideally with photos?
You just have to open the ecu box and clip in the new wires. No cutting, splicing, or soldering. Many people say it can be installed in 20 mins. I will be putting mine in this weekend if i ever get my car back from the dealer.

First video on this page shows you how to install, http://burgertuning.com/support.html
Old 04-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i sedan 6MT

Originally Posted by e60oholic
You just have to open the ecu box and clip in the new wires. No cutting, splicing, or soldering. Many people say it can be installed in 20 mins. I will be putting mine in this weekend if i ever get my car back from the dealer.

First video on this page shows you how to install, http://burgertuning.com/support.html
Damn, that's a lot of work! Not to mention those instructions are for a 335 and the engine bay of the E60 isn't identical, so something is bound to be different. Plus I don't have many of the tools required and would need to start by purchasing those. Also, why is this Stage 3?

Aren't there other tuning solutions that don't involve doing any of this? Maybe plugging your laptop to the OBD-II port, pushing a button and voilá? Isn't the COBB tune like that?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dploy
If your windshiels were to 'accidentally' crack your ins comp will replace the glass & gasket free...
Not always, this really depends on your insurance policy. Most have separate glass policies with different (usually lower, and sometimes free) deductibles than the rest of the car. Most glass repairs will not count towards anything on the insurance since its a safety issue.

HTH...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Members

According to Car And Driver's review, "Although nicely weighted, the schizophrenic steering is curiously twitchy and numb just off-center. Once the car is bent into a turn, confidence builds, but when traveling in a straight line, the 535i nervously feints after every irregularity in the road."
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Members

Damn, that's a lot of work! Not to mention those instructions are for a 335 and the engine bay of the E60 isn't identical, so something is bound to be different. Plus I don't have many of the tools required and would need to start by purchasing those. Also, why is this Stage 3?

Aren't there other tuning solutions that don't involve doing any of this? Maybe plugging your laptop to the OBD-II port, pushing a button and voilá? Isn't the COBB tune like that?
COBB tuning is straight OBD port uploads, no messing with the engine bay. It's popular with N54's down in the Texas area since they are based in Plano (near Dallas) and I've spoken to many people who have switched form JB to COBB. Then again, I don't have an N54 so I can't speak from personal experience. And as for the active steering, mine does not feel twitchy/schizo or numb on-center at all. It actually feels very very good and I'll make sure all of my future cars have it. You can really tell if it has active steering by how many turns of the wheel it takes to get to lock. In my car, it's maybe half a turn or a bit more from center position to reach full lock. On my brothers 328, it takes a few complete turns of the wheel to achieve lock. Strange though as I thought all sport packs had active steering, but maybe it's another standalone option on the 535?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by dploy
If your windshiels were to 'accidentally' crack your ins comp will replace the glass & gasket free...
Not in all States! Better you check before it accidentally cracks... lol
Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

It's not hard, just a littel scary... I personally don't like messing around in there but I've had mine in and out three times. Well, my friend did this for me. The first time it took him 30 minutes and the other times less than 15. Cobb may also be a good choice. I can only speak from the JB4 side and my personal experience. like I said earlier, if you take your car in for service to a dealer and they detect a software tune it can cause issues, depending on the dealer. If the repair item is under warranty and they see a tune, they might just get cocky and say it's not covered due to this tune. Most people might walk away, but, they have to PROVE the tune caused the defect. Regardless, I can imagine it would be painful to deal with an issue like that. Maybe check to see if the if the Cobb can be detected.

Post the pic of your vent. I just had mine out. The main structure clips and screws in from behind. And then the this structure will also seperate and leave the min bracket behind. this is where I was thiniking it might be unclipped.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dantheman1
COBB tuning is straight OBD port uploads, no messing with the engine bay.
Sounds like JB4 and COBB are my main 2 choices. Funny how nobody mentioned Vishnu or that other tuner from way back in the day. Something-tech? ProTECH? Or is that the same company?

Originally Posted by dantheman1
You can really tell if it has active steering by how many turns of the wheel it takes to get to lock. In my car, it's maybe half a turn or a bit more from center position to reach full lock. On my brothers 328, it takes a few complete turns of the wheel to achieve lock.
I'll test that when I leave work. So if it's half a turn or so in either direction (this is with the car standing still, of course, right?), I have Active Steering. If it take more turns, I don't. Is that correct?

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Not in all States! Better you check before it accidentally cracks... lol
I'm Florida. I think it's covered here too.

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Post the pic of your vent. I just had mine out. The main structure clips and screws in from behind. And then the this structure will also seperate and leave the min bracket behind. this is where I was thiniking it might be unclipped.
I went to take the photos, but couldn't upload them to the forum or any of the free photo hosting sites (I tried like 15) because my work firewall didn't allow me. But now that I see the photos, I think the problem is pretty clear. That white fastener must have broken. The only solutions seem to be to replace the entire trim or somehow glue it. I don't love either option. I will post the photos from home later.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Members

My Ride: '08 535i Spacey Grey, Sport, Prem, Navi, 20 way comfort (a must) - DCI, JB4 - ditched the RFT '08 MDX Tech pkg

I have JB4 and DCi and I love it. it's flexible where I can remove it anytime I want. Also, 535i is bigger and should feel heavier. It is the same engine. and of course comfortable.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by peakaboohaha
I have JB4 and DCi and I love it. it's flexible where I can remove it anytime I want. Also, 535i is bigger and should feel heavier. It is the same engine. and of course comfortable.
Did they send you detailed instructions to install it? Because, as I mentioned, the video instructions on their page are specifically for a 335i.

Quick Reply: New E60 owner with praise, complaints and questions