E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New E60 owner with praise, complaints and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i sedan 6MT
Talking

I am now the proud owner of a 2008 535i sedan with 6MT (I would never drive AT), Premium, Sport and iDrive. I also own a 2009 335i sedan 6MT (not for long) and used to own another 2007 335i sedan 6MT.

In comparison with E90's, I have a some positive things to say about my 5, some negative and a bunch of questions. Here they are:

Positive:
  • The seats are much, much comfortable with the extra controls, like the back folding forward.
  • The car is more composed going over uneven surfaces.
  • Way more trunk space, head and leg room, especially for rear passengers.
  • The pop-up trunk!

Negative:
  • My main complaint is the steering is really very light, even with the Sport suspension. Not nearly as responsive as I'm used to.
  • The car definitely feels slower than my 3. I thought performance figures were almost identical even if the car is heavier. Nothing an ECU reprogram won't fix, anyways.
  • Although this isn't really a negative on the car, I miss my Logic7 stereo, Comfort Access and the side and rear sunshades, none of which my 5 has and my 3 did. The one option I don't really miss is the heated seats, since I never used mine in Miami.

Questions:
  • What are my choices as far as ECU tuning? I am seriously considering a used one.
  • As per above complaint, is there a cheap and easy way to make the steering stiffer or more responsive?
  • I will take the car to a mechanic soon, but I was wondering if you guys could have an idea what this is. When cruising at speeds about 40 mph, the wheels sounds like a centrifuge. It's difficult to describe. The problem becomes much more apparent when breaking. Problem with my breaks?
  • The weather sealing rubber strip that runs between the windshield and the roof is all cracked or gone in many areas from the heat. Is this replaceable?
  • The left side of the center horizontal wood trim where the A/C vents are seems to have come off at some point and is about 1/2 inch from the plastic it's supposed to lay on. Thankfully, it's barely noticeable and it doesn't rattle at all, but can you suggest how I can glue it back on? Because of it's shape, there's a lot of pressure pushing it out, so I'm not sure some simple glue would last long, maybe not even something like gorilla glue. It actually may have even lost a fastening clip from the back.
  • My navigation DVD drawer squeaks, as if the DVD spinning and rubbing against something in there. I had the same problem in my 2007 353i and never knew what it was. Is this a known problem?
  • Not really a question, but I wanted to upgrade my CCC iDrive for the new CIC one. However, I got prices and can't pay anything in the neighborhood of $3K for the entire system including Combox and 6NR. Sounds this will not be included in my project.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Razor1973
I am now the proud owner of a 2008 535i sedan with 6MT (I would never drive AT), Premium, Sport and iDrive. I also own a 2009 335i sedan 6MT (not for long) and used to own another 2007 335i sedan 6MT.

In comparison with E90's, I have a some positive things to say about my 5, some negative and a bunch of questions. Here they are:

Positive:
  • The seats are much, much comfortable with the extra controls, like the back folding forward.
  • The car is more composed going over uneven surfaces.
  • Way more trunk space, head and leg room, especially for rear passengers.
  • The pop-up trunk!

Negative:
  • My main complaint is the steering is really very light, even with the Sport suspension. Not nearly as responsive as I'm used to.
  • The car definitely feels slower than my 3. I thought performance figures were almost identical even if the car is heavier. Nothing an ECU reprogram won't fix, anyways.
  • Although this isn't really a negative on the car, I miss my Logic7 stereo, Comfort Access and the side and rear sunshades, none of which my 5 has and my 3 did. The one option I don't really miss is the heated seats, since I never used mine in Miami.

Questions:
  • What are my choices as far as ECU tuning? I am seriously considering a used one.
  • As per above complaint, is there a cheap and easy way to make the steering stiffer or more responsive?
  • I will take the car to a mechanic soon, but I was wondering if you guys could have an idea what this is. When cruising at speeds about 40 mph, the wheels sounds like a centrifuge. It's difficult to describe. The problem becomes much more apparent when breaking. Problem with my breaks?
  • The weather sealing rubber strip that runs between the windshield and the roof is all cracked or gone in many areas from the heat. Is this replaceable?
  • The left side of the center horizontal wood trim where the A/C vents are seems to have come off at some point and is about 1/2 inch from the plastic it's supposed to lay on. Thankfully, it's barely noticeable and it doesn't rattle at all, but can you suggest how I can glue it back on? Because of it's shape, there's a lot of pressure pushing it out, so I'm not sure some simple glue would last long, maybe not even something like gorilla glue. It actually may have even lost a fastening clip from the back.
  • My navigation DVD drawer squeaks, as if the DVD spinning and rubbing against something in there. I had the same problem in my 2007 353i and never knew what it was. Is this a known problem?
  • Not really a question, but I wanted to upgrade my CCC iDrive for the new CIC one. However, I got prices and can't pay anything in the neighborhood of $3K for the entire system including Combox and 6NR. Sounds this will not be included in my project.

For ECU tuning, I would go with a COBB loader since it's a simple plug and play type software without having to actually pull any of the wires for the ecu. Search COBB tuning. I take it your does not have the active steering option then, it really makes the steering responsive and stiff. I'm not sure there is a way to retrofit it or make your steering any more stiff or response. The weather sealing can be found here: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E60-550...indow/ES92982/. Not sure about the DVD squeaking, mine makes a few seeking noises as well but I've just learned to ignore them. The CCC to CIC upgrade is very costly, $3k sounds about right. Not worth it in my opinion. Plenty of other mods, especially for a 535, that could be done for that kind of money.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have the Burger JB4. LOVE IT!!!! You can quickly turn it off by using your controls on the steering wheel. Not detectable if turned off and you have to go to the dealer for something. It's a plug and play but does require you to pull a few things out of your box to plug in (splice. Connection). Several different MAPP programs to select from on the fly. And the best thing is that Terry Berger is the best and stands behind his product.

As for your vent, remove the wood trim. The vent has probably become unsnapped.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

JB4 + 535i =

Unlike an ECU flash, you can simply remove the harness/CPU when you don't want to keep it anymore. You may find someone trying to sell a used one here or on Ebay, etc.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 AM
Members

the steering feels light because you do have active steering. i didnt like it at first but now when i drive my girlfriend's 3 series, i appreciate the active steering that i have in the 5. you will get used to it.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by karman
the steering feels light because you do have active steering. i didnt like it at first but now when i drive my girlfriend's 3 series, i appreciate the active steering that i have in the 5. you will get used to it.
Mhmm not sure on that one. My AS feels heavy at low speeds (although it turns very quickly with the fast ratio) and fairly light on the hwy. My brothers 328 with regular steering feels very light at low speeds and needs many turns of the wheel to achieve a sharp turn. But the OP does say he has sport package, does that always include AS and Active roll bars? I know the sport pack on the 550i's do.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I have the Burger JB4. LOVE IT!!!! You can quickly turn it off by using your controls on the steering wheel. Not detectable if turned off and you have to go to the dealer for something. It's a plug and play but does require you to pull a few things out of your box to plug in (splice. Connection). Several different MAPP programs to select from on the fly. And the best thing is that Terry Berger is the best and stands behind his product.

As for your vent, remove the wood trim. The vent has probably become unsnapped.
Several people have recommended the JB4. I read on their site and it doesn't explain how it is you install it. Do you have to open the ECU box? I hope not, much less solder. Are there instructions posted somewhere, ideally with photos?

It isn't the actual vents that became unsnapped. I will take photos and post later.

Originally Posted by dploy
If your windshiels were to 'accidentally' crack your ins comp will replace the glass & gasket free...
Good to know!

Originally Posted by pukka
JB4 + 535i =

Unlike an ECU flash, you can simply remove the harness/CPU when you don't want to keep it anymore. You may find someone trying to sell a used one here or on Ebay, etc.
Another vote for JB4!

Originally Posted by dantheman1
My brothers 328 with regular steering feels very light at low speeds and needs many turns of the wheel to achieve a sharp turn.
This exactly describes how mine feels.

Thank you all for your warm welcome!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Members

active steering came with sports package. either you have it or you dont have active steering
Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by karman
active steering came with sports package. either you have it or you dont have active steering
Then, I have Active Steering, cause I have Sport, but that only affects how much the wheels turn in response to steering wheel input, not the stiffness of the steering, which is my main complaint. I feel disconnected from the road, at least more than with my 335i.

Quick Reply: New E60 owner with praise, complaints and questions