E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New e60 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 03:03 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i sport
Default New e60 owner

Hello to all and happy new years! I Just recently traded my 98 Pontiac Trans Am for a 04 545i sport, and so far i have to say they call BMW the ultimate driving machine for a reason. I do have a couple of quick quistions if anybody has time to answer:

1) The car currently has 112,xxx miles on it. The gentlemen I purchased the vehicle from had a binder full of maintinance records, so I know she's been taken care of, but im interested to know what kind of work I'm going to have to look forward to in the coming miles?

2) The car currently has an afe cai and some sort of aftermarket exhaust that makes it sound super mean. Ive searched online but havent found much as far as more aftermarket modifaction for this engine goes. Can I get long tube headers, swap the cam, reflash my ecu, or do anything else to squeeze out some more horsepower or will I have to go with forced inductiion?

3) If I were to take said aftermarket exhaust off and just staight pipe it in that area, in your opinion would it sound better or worse? And would I gain/lose any hp?

4) The Exhaust system is true dual all the way back from the manifolds, but the tips both come out on the left rear of the car. Is there a lip I can buy to make it look dual or will I have to replace the whole bumper?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I look forward to keeping yall posted on my journey to turning my car into the beast it deserves to be.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to 5 series
Old 01-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i

Originally Posted by unoxdinero

1) The car currently has 112,xxx miles on it. The gentlemen I purchased the vehicle from had a binder full of maintinance records, so I know she's been taken care of, but im interested to know what kind of work I'm going to have to look forward to in the coming miles?

2) The car currently has an afe cai and some sort of aftermarket exhaust that makes it sound super mean. Ive searched online but havent found much as far as more aftermarket modifaction for this engine goes. Can I get long tube headers, swap the cam, reflash my ecu, or do anything else to squeeze out some more horsepower or will I have to go with forced inductiion?

3) If I were to take said aftermarket exhaust off and just staight pipe it in that area, in your opinion would it sound better or worse? And would I gain/lose any hp?

4) The Exhaust system is true dual all the way back from the manifolds, but the tips both come out on the left rear of the car. Is there a lip I can buy to make it look dual or will I have to replace the whole bumper?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I look forward to keeping yall posted on my journey to turning my car into the beast it deserves to be.
1) maint = read the "So You Just Bought An E60" pdf. Good info. Search for it on the interebs.

2) mods for the V8 are not many. You can flash the ECU from what I understand but not a lot of people do it. Check around online might be some stuff avail.

3&4) pipe swap. Not sure you'd gain anything but dunno. For dual setup you'll need the M5 rear bumper.