E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New braking systems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Anyone noticed the week 9 braking systems?

I haven't noticed the soft-stop at all - Does anyone know exactly how it works and what its supposed to do?

The hillstart brake system - waste of time on an auto. Anyone noticed it working on a wk 9 manual?
Old 04-30-2005, 02:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

I was thinking exactly the same merv - in fact I've experienced a tiny amount of roll back on a hill! And I certainly haven't noticed the stopping to be any softer.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:55 AM
Members

I have a week 9 545i and don't notice any soft stop braking.... I do notice some kind of braking assistance or modulation, but it sure isn't soft....

this was supposed to be included in the DSC+.... how do we actually know if we have it? my button on the dash just says DSC....
Old 04-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Contributors

Did you guys have E60's before week 9 to compare? After a year I still have trouble stopping without it grabbing at the end. But then again I set off the alarm 1 out of 3 times opening the trunk too
Old 04-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I'm intersted to see what people think of the new DSC+ especially soft stop and hill stop brake.

Soft stop is suppose to release the brake pressure a little when you are almost at a complete stop so it avoids the sudden jerk of the car when it completly stops. It works the same as you releasing the brake a little before the car actually stops so the stop is "softer" I do that when I stop, it avoids slaming my passengers to the back of the seat. You know what I mean? When you are stopping you lean forward because of the stopping force and usually the human body will exert some muscles to counter act that force and once the car stops your muscles will throw you back against the seat cause you dont know when exactlly the car stops.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:46 PM
Contributors

I have a week 11 or 12 build date, completed production 3/17/05, and it stops as smooth as can be. But I thought it was due to my outstanding driving skills . I have to say the 545 I test drove a couple of times was pre week 9 and I don't notice a difference between the two. As far as DSC+ I don't know. I haven't reached the traction limits yet!
Old 05-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Contributors

I'm probably wrong, but i thought that the 545i model was not going to have DSC+ until the changeover in 2006?

Also, comfort braking - I thought this was an option in 2006, not standard?

Am I wrong?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:15 AM
Members

It would be nice if the soft stop feature can be retrofitted to earlier cars. I find it virtually impossible to come to a smooth stop (unless I put the car in neutral just before I completely stop).

It is as if the car is trying to pull you forward while you are trying to stop.

May 2004 build 545 . . .
Old 05-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by FikseGTS' date='Apr 30 2005, 02:55 PM
I have a week 9 545i and don't notice any soft stop braking....? I do notice some kind of braking assistance or modulation, but it sure isn't soft....

this was supposed to be included in the DSC+.... how do we actually know if we have it?? my button on the dash just says DSC....
[snapback]122200[/snapback]
Is the DSC button not supposed to be labelled DTC after the DSC+ upgrade?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Originally Posted by BMW#4' date='May 1 2005, 06:57 PM
[quote name='FikseGTS' date='Apr 30 2005, 02:55 PM']I have a week 9 545i and don't notice any soft stop braking....? I do notice some kind of braking assistance or modulation, but it sure isn't soft....

this was supposed to be included in the DSC+.... how do we actually know if we have it?? my button on the dash just says DSC....
[snapback]122200[/snapback]
Is the DSC button not supposed to be labelled DTC after the DSC+ upgrade?
[snapback]122526[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi,
I've late Nov 04 build (MY2005) and have DTC label... so that doesn't mean DSC+ and DTC label are related...

Quick Reply: New braking systems!