E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you like this?
Wow super car, where can I sign up
9.27%
Looks good
25.83%
nope...I do not like it
39.07%
What the hell is that ugly thing?
25.83%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

The new BMW 5 series

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I like what I have now
Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='284325' date='May 18 2006, 09:14 PM
I agree with our admin. In fact this whole thing is so ridiculous that this poll shouldn't have been made in the first place, a poll with some crazy photoshop pics, not real ones. It's very annoying that alot of members here start to compare the looks of every bmw with....everything like das pointed earlier. I voted though for ugly cuz imo it's just a step back BUT it's by far the earliest time to draw conclusions based on some 2 crazy pics. It's just childish imo...
agree
Old 05-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Speaking from a point of view of a previous owner of E39. When the spy photos come out, didn't like it that much. But when the real thing comes out I fell in love who knows maybe I will like it when I see the real thing but in the mean time, this photoshopped prototype doesn't do it.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by das' post='284324' date='May 18 2006, 12:08 PM
These comparisons are ridiculous.

The back of the E39 looks like an Acura Legend, the front of E39 looks like a Ford Taurus, the lights on the back of E60 looks like a Kia, and the front of the E60 looks like a Pontiac Grand Prix.

Everyone can say something "looks like" something else all day long. And you know what? All of these things are "right" to a certain extent.......

I agree. Many features of a car can look like another car but that does not mean that the entire car looks like the "lesser" car in question. When people compare certain parts of the car to Toyotas, Kias, etc. the intention is to imply that because such and such part on the car looks like a Toyota then the whole car looks as bad as the Toyota in question. Just because the Kia Amanti has similar headlights and front end design to the MB E Class it does not mean that it looks as good as the MB. Similarly I remember people saying that the rear of the E32 7 series (taillights) looked like a Mazda 626 5 door when it first came out in 1987, but that did not mean that the E32 "looked like" a 626 (see pics below). So even if these were the real pictures of the 5er and the taillights look like a Lexus GS or IS it does not mean that the entire car can't look good. Besides, I remember people on this very forum saying that the rear of the Lexus GS & IS looked like the E60 when it first came out, but now the implication is that BMW is copying Lexus. That's almost like the people on Roadfly saying that the E60 front grill was copied from a Pontiac, even though it was a variation of the kidney grill that BMW has had for decades (much longer than Pontiac has been using it).

Having said all of the above I don't want to give the impression that I like everything I see in the prototype pictures. For one thing I prefer the trunk opening line on the side like it is on our E60's instead of the conventional setup in these pictures. I think the current line on the side looks more modern. There are a couple of other things about it that I am not crazy about either. However, what I am trying to say is that all this talk about certain parts of the car looking like other cars is irrelevant because in the end what counts is whether the whole design "works" and "looks good". I will wait and see when the official pictures are released.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

hi,
today i bought the Auto Bild where they wrote an article about the new 5er. i will translate the most important of the article:

The new BMW 5 series-scan1.jpg

the headline of the article is "BMW finds back to the old mold. after the design-escapades the new 5er for 2009 will be a BMW that we learned to love."

on the left side there's a small pic of the E60 with numbers in it.

1. the hanging mouth is being lifted, the face will be friendlier
2. front is being modified gingerly
3. the angel eyes are bigger
4. the "light-edge" is more distincitve

The new BMW 5 series-scan10001.jpg

they write, BMW is able to build pretty cars. the new F10 coming 2009 will be a bit bigger. (you can see the dimensions in the small chart in right text of the second pic).

The new BMW 5 series-scan10002.jpg

they also say the following:
- 17 inches rims will be mounted ex works. 18 and 19 inches cost more
- BMW has developed the light design, LEDs will be used in the back lights
- the cockpit will be driver-oriented again
- iDrive is restyled, will be better, faster and easier to use
- iDrive controller will be bigger
- new ergonomics for climate
- new options:
- a 4 areas-climate, called "Airwave"
- electic handbreak
- airsuspension
- engines see 3rd pic (PS=HP)
- touring and M5 will come in 2010
- break energy recovery
- F10 will be lighter

in the third pic there's a chart at the bottom. it's an overview of the next BMW's.

regards,
sese
Old 05-19-2006, 03:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Now I am confused, looks like a facelift but article talks about new model (F10).
Old 05-19-2006, 05:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I just read in a dutch BMW magazine that BMW is trying to make the different models more distinctive.. In the E32, E37 you had to look twice to see the difference between a 5 and a 7 series.

A bit the same as you have with audi now.. I hardly can tell the difference between the front of an A4, A6 or A8.

BMW say that they want more difference between the models so that people don't have the feeling that they are driving a big 3 series when having a 5-er.

I think it will change a bit more before we get a facelift..
Old 05-19-2006, 05:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Well.... sometimes I have a hard time telling an E90 from an E60 on the road... at least at first glance. Especially from the side.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Is this for real?

I was sure (actually still am) that the facelift wouldn't come before Sept '07.

And why would BMW facelift the rear, which is really good looking???

Those rearlights looks like some Kia cheap s**t.

I don't buy this, not at all!

I have to go and order the facelifted M-B E 280 A!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by das' post='284306' date='May 18 2006, 08:30 PM
LOL, rody, I was just thinking the EXACT same thing.

Every time any new BMW model or facelift comes out, there's an ever-increasing number of people all decrying how ugly it is, how they're going to buy the current model before it's replaced, how the front looks like <insert crappy car here> or the back looks like <insert crappy car here>, or how the lights look Japanese/Korean/etc., how BMW has lost its way, etc etc etc.

It's quite humorous, really. ;-)
I am sure that they will not sc... the design on the otherhand, F10 sounds like a jet fighter this will be the peek. E60 thanked also to M5 is now one of the most popular and BMW cannot afford to loose market in that segment, they will not have that rear for sure. (seems even if it is an article like a bad PS).
hey das, did you sell BMW AG your DIY for LEDs? or they did it alone

-NO German customer would buy it, even if LEDs will be....with that rear.

-ps. bigger rims were always extra so no big deal there, actually those are style 166 (M5) aren't they, they just want to confuse us

- wow thx sese, 10cm longer so like the L version in China there will be 535i (ix) 306 bhp and 535d as standard 300bhp

-front looks like ACS front?

Quick Reply: The new BMW 5 series