E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 545i coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the forum and I have to say it is great. Much, much better than some other BMW forum I've been checking out. You guys actually know stuff

I have a 2005 545i on order. I decided to do the European Delivery and I will be flying to Munich next month to pick up my ride. I can't wait to take it on the Autobahn for a ride. Which brings me to my question. I talked to several dealers in the process of buying the car and 1 guy said that they have a break-in period of 1000 miles where you have to keep it below 4K RPM. Another guy said that with these modern egines these days there is no break-in period necessary. The first oil change is at 15K miles. What is the truth?

Also, I am not sure about bluetooth in the car. Will this car have it enabled? What will I need to do to get it working? I have Motorola cell phone with bluetooth and it would be great if I could use that in the car.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

My dealer said the break-in period was important, but that the 1200 miles under 4K RPM was conservative. It was mostly just to persuade people from taking the car over 100 MPH the first few days they own it.

And your Motorola SHOULD work perfectly. Bluetooth is standard on 2005's, and my Motorola RAZR works very well with my 545.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uwsc11' date='Dec 8 2004, 09:48 PM
I am new to the forum and I have to say it is great. Much, much better than some other BMW forum I've been checking out. You guys actually know stuff??

I have a 2005 545i on order. I decided to do the European Delivery and I will be flying to Munich next month to pick up my ride. I can't wait to take it on the Autobahn for a ride. Which brings me to my question. I talked to several dealers in the process of buying the car and 1 guy said that they have a break-in period of 1000 miles where you have to keep it below 4K RPM. Another guy said that with these modern egines these days there is no break-in period necessary. The first oil change is at 15K miles. What is the truth?

Also, I am not sure about bluetooth in the car. Will this car have it enabled?? What will I need to do to get it working?? I have Motorola cell phone with bluetooth and it would be great if I could use that in the car.
[snapback]66808[/snapback]
welcome

i believe the manual talks about a 1200 mile break in period , and many have said to keep it under 4500rpm's

oil changes, 12-15k miles or one year

as for BT, it all depends on the phone, many do not work yet

good luck
Old 12-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, uwsc11 !
Old 12-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Members

Welcome aboard, another Bay Area friend !
BT should be activated at the center, I heard. Am I right?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Folllow the break in period as described in the manual. These cars have black boxes so you don' t want any warranty problems.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by uwsc11' date='Dec 8 2004, 08:48 PM
I am new to the forum and I have to say it is great. Much, much better than some other BMW forum I've been checking out. You guys actually know stuff?

Also, I am not sure about bluetooth in the car. Will this car have it enabled?? What will I need to do to get it working?? I have Motorola cell phone with bluetooth and it would be great if I could use that in the car.
[snapback]66808[/snapback]
Take it real easy the first couple hundred miles to seat the brake pads. Then vary the load and rpm for the next 1000 miles to properly seat the piston rings. Don't stress the engine too much during this time (avoid full-throttle, and keep it under 4500 rpm if you can). You can go crazy fast if you do it after a few hundred miles, (4500 or so in 6th gear) but don't do it for too long. I changed my oil after 800 miles just to be anal. There will be microscopic metallic particles in the filter and oil, so changing the oil and filter is not a bad idea. You probably don't need to though - just do it if it makes you feel better, otherwise wait til the recommended interval.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Members

UWSC11,

I don't want to disclose your name in case you want to remain annonymous, but is this Mark's brother in-law. Welcome aboard! These guys know a lot here.

Woodbeast
Old 12-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

e60's do NOT have black boxes only M cars do, therefore rev limits and speed limits do not apply. I would take it easy for the first few hundred miles then let her go. A strict break-in is not needed.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Woodbeast' date='Dec 8 2004, 10:47 PM
UWSC11,

? ? I don't want to disclose your name in case you want to remain annonymous, but is this Mark's brother in-law. Welcome aboard! These guys know a lot here.

Woodbeast
[snapback]66833[/snapback]
Hi Woodbeast,

Yes, this is Mark's brother in-law. Thanks for pointing me to this forum. It is really cool.

Quick Reply: New 545i coming