E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New 535xi rocks...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not rational, but one Audi (the only one I ever had among some nearly 60 cars over time) I had back in 1981 soured me on Audi forever. I know they are better cars today than they were in 1981, nonetheless, I would never buy one again.

I don't think that anyone that really knows marques, puts Audi in an equal ranking to BMW. Close, but no cigar.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Penis envy ! And by the way, Congratulations on a great new car !!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum bronze metallic, automatic, cold weather package, fold down rear seats, iPod adapter

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='542593' date='Mar 10 2008, 05:05 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about with Audi drivers, as it happens to me nearly daily out here. I've always just figured they bought their cars thinking that "Its just as good as a BMW!", and feel compelled to prove it. I don't give them the time of day, as its just not worth it to me. I always remember Mark Twain's great comment, "Its better to stay quiet and appear to be an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!" So I don't race Audi's, (etc.), as a result they never know who's faster, but at least I don't "Remove all doubt about being an idiot" and racing against someone who is just willing to risk it all for their EGO!!
<sigh>
When reality sets in, it's a fact that I'm really much too mild-mannered to get into an actual race with anybody on city streets. It's just that those guys are bugging me and I wish they'd go away. A short blip on the accelerator in a safe spot, while not an actual race, can be cathartic, not to mention fun. So I reserve the right to show 'em who's boss, just once in a while.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d titansilver, manual transmission BMW 535d titansilver, automatic + AMG shift Paddles

Originally Posted by DanP' post='542743' date='Mar 11 2008, 06:23 AM
<sigh>
A short blip on the accelerator in a safe spot, while not an actual race, can be cathartic, not to mention fun. So I reserve the right to show 'em who's boss, just once in a while.
I know what you say and I did that a couple of times, but it produced the James Bond effect A cloud of smoke and in the next seconds, no E60 in sight

In Germany, this things don`t really happen that often, because everyone minds his own business, but when I drive my E36 ///M3 replica coupe, some Golfs do ocasionally flash me

PS: It "smoked" because I had a long time with only low-rpm driving prior to the "fun"...... And no, I haven`t got a particle filter :thumbsdown: That`s why I won`t buy any kind of sports exauhst for it
Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by tuco' post='542612' date='Mar 10 2008, 05:00 PM
I know it's not rational, but one Audi (the only one I ever had among some nearly 60 cars over time) I had back in 1981 soured me on Audi forever. I know they are better cars today than they were in 1981, nonetheless, I would never buy one again.

I don't think that anyone that really knows marques, puts Audi in an equal ranking to BMW. Close, but no cigar.
Ah yes, those early 1980's Audi's with TWO accelerator pedals!!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='542911' date='Mar 11 2008, 09:21 AM
Ah yes, those early 1980's Audi's with TWO accelerator pedals!!
Na, that was just old farts getting their pedals mixed up and then the media blew it all up....

I just didn't care for the car, it was a 5000T and it felt "cheap" and "plastic". Coming from lesser engined BMWs, the Audi still didn't feel that good in the handling, high speed driving, cornering areas. Not sure why I bought it at the time, but it cured me of Audi for good.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

nice pick up

havent went toe to toe with an audi yet
Old 03-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tuco' post='542612' date='Mar 10 2008, 05:00 PM
C'mon guys, are you serious? Audi is an amazing company
and their cars are purely great.
The interiors are top notch, better than BMW. Some engines are better
than the competing BMW engines.
For example I'd say a 550i drives a touch better than an S4, but
an S4 drives better than 535i. S5 is an amazing new car which
has an amazing handling. Didn't drive the new M3 yet, so can't
compare. But usually an Audi is a great combination of sport
and luxury, the competing BMW is usually more sport than luxury (stiffer etc).
The exceptions like RS4 and 550i exist on both sides
You don't need to act like Canon-Nikon/Mac-PC/etc kids here...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by snowboarder550i' post='542997' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:18 AM
We all have opinions, you have read mine, I have read yours. Opinions are just that, "opinions"; not necessarily "fact" (depending on whose definitions of "sport", "better", "luxury", etc you are using).

Nothing is gained by arguing about who is "right". We are all entitled to our opinions, that's one of the things that make the Western World great.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by snowboarder550i' post='542997' date='Mar 11 2008, 02:18 PM
What do you expect from a group of BMW geeks ! It's all in fun , when you learn the pattern here you'll get it ...........................

Quick Reply: New 535xi rocks...