E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need someone in Phoenix witha 530i help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys-I am hoping there are some Phoenicians surfing around here with a 06/07 530, preferably auto, that would be willing to get their car dynoed and I would front the bill. Providing you are stock or maybe just have exhaust or something.

I dynoed my car today with my mods but never had a baseline but thought it would still be useful and it was to a degree. But further making it more useless I had NO comparison. The stock numbers I had found were done on a dynojet dyno which typically has a 25 percent drivetrain loss. Well the place I went dynocomp here in scottsdale-uses a different dyno-that costs like 4 times more and is more accurate and they use it for tuning while on the dyno-however has way more drivetrain loss than a dynojet-and they guestimate 30-35percent loss in an auto. But that does me no good since now I have no baseline at all to compare a stock 530i or even a 330i-If anyone cares the dyno ran three identical runs with peak hp of 203-which I was pissed at first expecting that is what a stock would put out but then when he told me about them not being a dynojet. Apperently their dyno simulates road conditions so places a "load" onto the back tires that is equivelent to driving on a road-which you can change the load to simulate up and downhill. This basically and obviously impedes the wheels but more simulates "real world" horsepower and driving.

Well a lot of good that does me. Going with their conservative end 30 percent loss it would put me at exactly 290 crank which means 32hp gain at crank from the listed 258.-due to the evotech software, afe intake and remus exhaust. Now that means nothing to me or anyone without a stock care to compare. They said their 330s stock were always under 200 but he could not remmeber what exactly they ran-

So anyway-if someone would step up to the plate you can get a free dyno out of the deal-just have to take it to dynocomp and I will give them my c.c info to run and I would set it up-yould just have to show up for 15 minutes!

Ok thanks!
Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='422727' date='May 9 2007, 03:41 PM
Hey guys-I am hoping there are some Phoenicians surfing around here with a 06/07 530, preferably auto, that would be willing to get their car dynoed and I would front the bill. Providing you are stock or maybe just have exhaust or something.

I dynoed my car today with my mods but never had a baseline but thought it would still be useful and it was to a degree. But further making it more useless I had NO comparison. The stock numbers I had found were done on a dynojet dyno which typically has a 25 percent drivetrain loss. Well the place I went dynocomp here in scottsdale-uses a different dyno-that costs like 4 times more and is more accurate and they use it for tuning while on the dyno-however has way more drivetrain loss than a dynojet-and they guestimate 30-35percent loss in an auto. But that does me no good since now I have no baseline at all to compare a stock 530i or even a 330i-If anyone cares the dyno ran three identical runs with peak hp of 203-which I was pissed at first expecting that is what a stock would put out but then when he told me about them not being a dynojet. Apperently their dyno simulates road conditions so places a "load" onto the back tires that is equivelent to driving on a road-which you can change the load to simulate up and downhill. This basically and obviously impedes the wheels but more simulates "real world" horsepower and driving.

Well a lot of good that does me. Going with their conservative end 30 percent loss it would put me at exactly 290 crank which means 32hp gain at crank from the listed 258.-due to the evotech software, afe intake and remus exhaust. Now that means nothing to me or anyone without a stock care to compare. They said their 330s stock were always under 200 but he could not remmeber what exactly they ran-

So anyway-if someone would step up to the plate you can get a free dyno out of the deal-just have to take it to dynocomp and I will give them my c.c info to run and I would set it up-yould just have to show up for 15 minutes!

Ok thanks!
I have an '06 530i, but it is a manual transmission... If you wait for a while and can't find anyone with an auto to step up, I'll give it a shot...

Regards, Jon.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='422739' date='May 9 2007, 04:27 PM
I have an '06 530i, but it is a manual transmission... If you wait for a while and can't find anyone with an auto to step up, I'll give it a shot...

Regards, Jon.
Cool! I dont think its a HUGE difference but I could just factor in 5-9hp extra in your case-or rather subtract off those few hp from your number to give close to what an auto is.

And ya its really easy-only takes 15 minutes and nice to know what bone stock is for once on these things. PM me your number or I can give you mine and we can set it up. Just a matter of me calling dynocomp and setting a tim good for you and Ill have it prepaid or can even go meet you over there to check it out. Ok great thanks!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:18 PM
AlB
Senior Members

I don't want to piss on your parade but I think two things will happen. 1) you will get someone a free baseline dyno and 2) the numbers you get cannot be credibly compared between 2 different cars (auto vs manual notwithstanding).

And to add some wisdom from one with much dyno experience, I cannot call anyone out for identifying parasitic loss but I would suspect it is between 15-20%. I understand you were told of this special machine that duplicates road conditions, but I am skeptical of 30-35%. As a realist, one should not expect a cold air intake to add any horsepower on a dyno and in reality, very little on the open road at 80mph. CAI's can look nice pretty and create a nice growl, but not an effective performance gainer. The same can be said of an exhaust. It might shave a few pounds and sound a lot better but look for minimal performance gains again. I cannot speak for the software but most NA engines do not benefit greatly from the air/fuel changes either.

I am not trying to discourage you or anyone else from modding their cars. This is meant to be constructive. The world would be boring without car enthusiasts. I have done my share of mods over the years. I have recently done a few things to my 550i to enhance the driving experience. Be happy with the mods you do that give you enjoyment and forget about the numbers. They are only good for bragging rights anyway. It's what you feel in your head and in the seat of your pants that matters.

Best of luck and happy modding

al
Old 05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

Always some skeptic claiming to be a "pro" in the field-well if you were experienced you would know that it is well established that the dyno dynamics (which is what i used-not some "special" machine" is ALWAYS much lower than dynojet dynos.

Do a google search and you can find just tons of links, posts and numbers. Many where same car compared both dynos. And by the way this "special machine" is the top maker of the best quality dyno out there-dyno dynamics is a top notch company with the most accurate dyno-so dont chime in with info I didnt ask for. I didnt start this asking how much hp these mods would get-this was for objective posting of results. I confimed from reading about dynodynamic that a drivetrain loss of 30-35 is the standard used in autos when generating a crank number-Spend five minutes on google.

Anyway phoenician autos? And that is crap that another exact same car at the exact same dyno cannot be used for comparison-for such a pro what are with these inaccurate statements?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:31 AM
AlB
Senior Members

First of all, you referenced the dyno shop, not the dyno by name, hence my description of a "special machine".

Now, to your point.

Every single car is different from the other. So to use different cars to establish a before and after is absurd. Especially cars with such different drivetrains. You will not even get consistent readings with the exact same car on different days with different atmospheric pressure, heat and humidity conditions. So if it is fuzzy math that you are after to give you the results that you want to see, go for it. I was just suggesting that you save your money because your results will not stand up to any scientific reasoning or analysis. Ask the owners of the "special machine" if they agree with your approach. Of course they will, they want your money.

BTW, your post cried out for skepticism with the approach and the mathematical reasoning used therein.

Have a nice day

al
Old 05-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='422741' date='May 9 2007, 04:48 PM
Cool! I dont think its a HUGE difference but I could just factor in 5-9hp extra in your case-or rather subtract off those few hp from your number to give close to what an auto is.

And ya its really easy-only takes 15 minutes and nice to know what bone stock is for once on these things. PM me your number or I can give you mine and we can set it up. Just a matter of me calling dynocomp and setting a tim good for you and Ill have it prepaid or can even go meet you over there to check it out. Ok great thanks!
If you're still interested I will send you a PM with contact information... almost any day next week would probably work for me... Jon.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='423003' date='May 10 2007, 10:58 AM
If you're still interested I will send you a PM with contact information... almost any day next week would probably work for me... Jon.
Hey Jon-will call you-thanks for volunteering! Looks like nobody with an auto is around or nobody is willing to help me out so your M6 will have to do-especially in this particular car the 530-atleast according to bmw-the difference in 0-60 for the auto v. manual is the smallest difference I think I have ever seen posted for a car. In this case it is 6.4 manual v. 6.6 auto-maybe that has nothing to do with drivetrain loss but maybe they are close in this car.

Anyway I will call dyncomp and get it set up for next week-will talk to you first. thanks mike