E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with color on 550i...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

I've got my deal finally, $1500 over invoice from BMW of Arlington. Got my options nailed down as well (Manual, sport, cold, rear shades, Logic 7).

Now I need color scheme; I thought I was sold on the Monaco Blue with Beige interior. Until I saw Titanium Grey with Black interior. http://www.e60.net/information/options/exterior. Its pretty freaking nice.

The blue is classic ( and seems to change colors a bit in sunshine?), but the titanium seems a bit more rare and singular. Is it almost a green tint or is that the sun reflection?

I'm wondering if the dark blue will simply get lost in the crowd and if the titanium stands out as much as I think. I'm pretty sure I am going to do 35% tint with whatever car I get. I like that look and 35% is not over the top.

I needs your pictures and opinions. Please post for me before I throw down $62,000.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:01 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

I personally like the Silver Gray Metallic over the Titanium. Initially I was going with the Titanium Gray, but then I saw all three grays together. Titanium Gray, Silver Gray and the Titanium Silver. My obvious winner was the Silver Gray. On cloudy days it has a different shade, and on sunny days, it almost seems sky blue. Very cool color.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I became an auto detailinmg fanatic over the past few years and would therefore avoid the Monaco blue due to the difficulty of maintaining it in "autopian" condition. I like the Titanium Grey a lot, but opted instead for Silver because I think it has a classic look that I will still like 3 years from now. And it is a breeze to maintain compared to my previous Jet Black M3.

You really can't make a mistake here. The Monaco blue is a striking color, especially with the interior you have chosen, and it will look terrific if well maintained. If you garage at night and park in a garage the maintenance of the paint should not be all that difficult.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

Originally Posted by darkside' post='249670' date='Mar 4 2006, 08:59 AM
I became an auto detailinmg fanatic over the past few years and would therefore avoid the Monaco blue due to the difficulty of maintaining it in "autopian" condition. I like the Titanium Grey a lot, but opted instead for Silver because I think it has a classic look that I will still like 3 years from now. And it is a breeze to maintain compared to my previous Jet Black M3.

You really can't make a mistake here. The Monaco blue is a striking color, especially with the interior you have chosen, and it will look terrific if well maintained. If you garage at night and park in a garage the maintenance of the paint should not be all that difficult.
Thanks for the feedback; I'd like to get Silver but it is way too popular for me, I like to be a bit different. I rarely see Blue or grey and while I do not garage at night, I do during the day. I've got black now and while its a pain, not that bad. Wash once a week which helps, wax twice a year.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Members

Need some help with color on 550i...-bmw1.jpgNeed some help with color on 550i...-bmw2.jpgNeed some help with color on 550i...-bmw3.jpg

Definately the Ti gray!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Silver gray. (or alpine white I love)
Old 03-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

T-Gray with black is my choice!! Literally, it's what I ordered
I think it looks both classy, and it's really not as common as some of the other colors. Also, I think some of the older pictures you see of Ti-Gray are the older version that had just a hint of green when viewed in sunlight. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think they revised the color (Ti-Gray 2?) and it doesn't have that greenish hue anymore, which I like better. Of course, it all comes down to preference on something like color. Stoley's picture above is a great picture showing how the Ti-Gray on black looks with shadowline trim. And Stoley, I love that tint......that's just a gorgeous car!! I just noticed on BMW's Owner's Circle that my car moved from "on order" to "scheduled for production".....I hope that means progress so I can see MY Ti-Gray on black 550 soon!! Good luck on your selection wmbiii!!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Yes, the Monaco blue changes colors in the light - in the dark it is almost black. I have gotten more compliments on the color than any car I have ever owned!

However, Titanium Gray is incredible too. It was my close second choice and looks so good with the black interior. Both cars lose a lot of their luster when dirty however - as opposed to the silver gray/titanium silver cars.

In the end, both monaco blue and titanium gray are different enough to stand out and I don't think you will be disappointed with either. Below are some links to my car and Alec's. Unfortunately the top two links were not taken in direct sunlight. The bottom link is my car pre-delivery in the dealer bay.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...cmd=si&img=4543
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...cmd=si&img=4373
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...cmd=si&img=4371
Old 03-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Contributors

I had this color issue over the past couple of weeks too. I just changed from Monaco Blue/Gray to Alpine White/Gray.

I saw a white M60 pass me on my way to work a couple of days ago and thought it was the most appealing color. Then when I saw a guy driving it that sort of confirmed that its also a guys color.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='249716' date='Mar 4 2006, 12:22 PM
T-Gray with black is my choice!! Literally, it's what I ordered
I think it looks both classy, and it's really not as common as some of the other colors. Also, I think some of the older pictures you see of Ti-Gray are the older version that had just a hint of green when viewed in sunlight. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think they revised the color (Ti-Gray 2?) and it doesn't have that greenish hue anymore, which I like better. Of course, it all comes down to preference on something like color. Stoley's picture above is a great picture showing how the Ti-Gray on black looks with shadowline trim. And Stoley, I love that tint......that's just a gorgeous car!! I just noticed on BMW's Owner's Circle that my car moved from "on order" to "scheduled for production".....I hope that means progress so I can see MY Ti-Gray on black 550 soon!! Good luck on your selection wmbiii!!

Look at the Stoley pic above ^^^ it looks green to me. Not a bad color but I do really think its green in the right light.

Quick Reply: Need some help with color on 550i...