E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceenit' post='983448' date='Aug 20 2009, 01:01 PM
Tough decision as an e60 certainly gets you high style points in college. But if money is really tight and your balancing a car versus tuition costs, your education is by far more important and in the end will enable you to buy many many more cars.

I say sell it for a good price and buy something economical to get you through through school. Pocket the rest to pay for tuition.

If your thinking of trading your 5 for a 3 with lower miles, my sense is that your money isn't that tight.
I just got another offer of 16,500 cash.

As for a 3er with lower miles, i was thinking of getting something still in warranty.. If i was to get a cpo'd 3er lets say for 24k. I would have around 17/18k and i could take out a small loan of 8k and pay it off monthly. I make around 1k monthly and my mom sends me around $400 every month so thats $1,400. I can afford to pay $400 monthly and still have 1k left for insurance and other stuff. I dont pay rent so i dont have to worry about that. Regardless, this all depends on my financial aid going through. If not, im just going to sell the car and buy a 12k car and put the rest towards tuition. Im just in a really weird situation :S
Old 08-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='983466' date='Aug 20 2009, 01:16 PM

As for a 3er with lower miles, i was thinking of getting something still in warranty.. If i was to get a cpo'd 3er lets say for 24k. I would have around 17/18k and i could take out a small loan of 8k and pay it off monthly. I make around 1k monthly and my mom sends me around $400 every month so thats $1,400. I can afford to pay $400 monthly and still have 1k left for insurance and other stuff. I dont pay rent so i dont have to worry about that. Regardless, this all depends on my financial aid going through. If not, im just going to sell the car and buy a 12k car and put the rest towards tuition. Im just in a really weird situation :S

Understood, and it's a great thing that your thinking through all your options before you make a decision. Most of us couldn't do that till after we graduated.

Just one more thought. For me, college was a time to 1) focus on studies and 2) an all new level of social life (sometimes I put #2 before #1). The lower you keep your overhead the easier it is to have time for #2 and the only real stress you'll have is making the grades for #1.

I've long since forgotten about the car I drove in college, but the socials and weekend events are etched in my memory forever.
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='983466' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:16 AM

You sound like a very wise young man. That you'd weigh these options proves such. Many your age would forgo thought for status. Rarely a wise decision when your financial future is at risk. It's sickening to see the depreciated value of these cars. I paid +$45k for mine as a used vehicle 3 years ago. The original owner paid $66 for it 2 years prior, according to the invoice found in the car. There is no way I would have dreamed that this car would be worth sub $20k this quickly. Try to advertise the car on Cars.com. $14k is ridiculous. $16k is almost as ridiculous for a private party sell. Hold out for as long as you can. Maybe a trusted family member with a nice, newer economy car of equivalent value may be willing to trade (as long as it's paid off, or they're willing to make payments to you to ensure parity)?
Contributors

Contributors

double clicked into a double post......
Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='981751' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:21 AM
Good thing he had his hand over his crotch or you'd be telling us the size of his weiner too.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='983513' date='Aug 20 2009, 01:56 PM
You sound like a very wise young man. That you'd weigh these options proves such. Many your age would forgo thought for status. Rarely a wise decision when your financial future is at risk. It's sickening to see the depreciated value of these cars. I paid +$45k for mine as a used vehicle 3 years ago. The original owner paid $66 for it 2 years prior, according to the invoice found in the car. There is no way I would have dreamed that this car would be worth sub $20k this quickly. Try to advertise the car on Cars.com. $14k is ridiculous. $16k is almost as ridiculous for a private party sell. Hold out for as long as you can. Maybe a trusted family member with a nice, newer economy car of equivalent value may be willing to trade (as long as it's paid off, or they're willing to make payments to you to ensure parity)?
Thanks Im gonna hold out for a little bit more until i get news on my financial aid. It shouldnt be long. After that i'll weigh my options again. If any fanatics here are looking for a nice 545i and are willing to pay more than 17k.. Let me know
Old 08-22-2009, 05:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by krusir' post='982225

Good for you for showing that you are thinking hard about your options. At your age and in your current financial situation, it should be a no brainer and get rid of the car. Once you get the education and a few years of work experience under your belt, you'll be able to REALLY afford an E60 and by that time they'll have even better models out. Then again, you might want to consider securing a house first and then the 5er. It's called paying your dues and it is sweeter when you put your own blood, sweat, and tears toward achieving your dreams of BMW ownership. Something tells me that you will do the right thing and put the money toward your education first and wait for the rest later. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530 Steptronic, Nav, Std Audio w/ single CD, Premium Pkg, BMW Assist, non-working Bluetooth

You were smart to ask for advice here. If even we BMW maniacs are telling you to "trade down" and emphasize your education, you know there is something to it. You're learning to delay gratification, and that will pay off again and again in your life. Driving a beater in college is part of the fun; it makes that first new 5er all the more sweet. I was in my 50s before I got a BMW -- drove a 1949 Plymouth with no floor in HS and college and remember a lot of great times in that car.

Best of luck!!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with another poster who said, check if a family member who has a newer or more reliable Jap car if they want to swap cars. That way, you won't have to pay tax on your replacement vehicle.

Quick Reply: Need some advice.