E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='981755' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:28 AM
If i sell im planning on getting something smaller, maybe an 02-04 3er with a little less miles.

Pictures are up, are they visible? Im going to pm you right now

EDIT: cant pm you yet, i guess i dont have enough posts.

car info is in the post though, what other info do you need?

lol thanks but i cant afford those anymore Im on my own now.

lmao
If you wanna sell and get another BMW without warranty, don't even bother!

Sorry, my work computer doesn't let me see all the pics - I'll take a look when I get home in the morn.

Ditto for the warranty info - will PM you info in the morn.

Hopefully, by then you'll have enough posts to PM NOOB!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vlad_b' post='981759' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:33 AM
i agree with opinions above that you will not be able to get a nice car with your current job.

BUT.. it has 83K and no warranty.. even though it looks great on the pic. i must say prepare to spend some $$ to maintain this car. You'll definitely need breaks, tires, spark plugs and stuff like that (if you didn't change that yet) It will all run into some $$$. And, eventually, down the road there might be some things like suspension, control arms, etc. And just hope that nothing is wrong with tranny and electronics.

So my advice is to sell the car (at least try) for about 20K, buy something cheap and reliable (like Scion - about 15K new, comes with warranty and some service plans), and have a peace of mind. You will also get some cash out to put on saving in case you need it.

Well, just my opinion. The car is nice (i have the same and not planning to sell). But you don't want it to break and seat on the parking dead because you can't afford to fix it. That happened to my friend's e39 m5. He bought it but now he cant afford to maintain it. His tires are bald and suspension is broken. He don't even drive it just makes payments.
two words: extended warranty.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='981763' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:42 AM
I have about $1200 saved up in case i need to fix something.. How much would a tune up cost me? What parts get replaced with a tune up? Brakes seem good and the transmission/electronics are fine also.
1. Whenever you need to replace anything, get aftermarket upgraded parts - they are actually in most cases cheaper than OEM and will add performance to your car. For example, OEM rotors I think run about 600 for all 4, Stoptech has slotted and/or cross-drilled for the same price and so on.

2. Keep saving up
Old 08-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='981764
1. Whenever you need to replace anything, get aftermarket upgraded parts - they are actually in most cases cheaper than OEM and will add performance to your car. For example, OEM rotors I think run about 600 for all 4, Stoptech has slotted and/or cross-drilled for the same price and so on.

2. Keep saving up
Ok cool but i know nothing about cars/parts so thats why im kinda frustrated on what to do. I need a good bmw shop to do a tune up at. Ill do the brakes like in a month.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='981771' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:56 AM
yeah im leaning towards keeping the car and paying an extended warranty. LOL i will

Ok cool but i know nothing about cars/parts so thats why im kinda frustrated on what to do. I need a good bmw shop to do a tune up at. Ill do the brakes like in a month.
Just don't take it into the city

I believe that there are a LOT of reputable shops on LI that members of this forum use. Some of our legendary members - C's Bimmer (Calton) and Poleposition (Kerry) are on LI and both would be happy to help you out, I'm sure - between those two, there's no shop on the whole island that they have not been to. (calling Calton a "legendary member" helps a LOT if you wanna get some help outta him )

Come by the Aug 22nd meet, if you can make it BTW You learn about cars from others more than from any text book
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='981783' date='Aug 19 2009, 03:06 AM
Just don't take it into the city

I believe that there are a LOT of reputable shops on LI that members of this forum use. Some of our legendary members - C's Bimmer (Calton) and Poleposition (Kerry) are on LI and both would be happy to help you out, I'm sure - between those two, there's no shop on the whole island that they have not been to. (calling Calton a "legendary member" helps a LOT if you wanna get some help outta him )

Come by the Aug 22nd meet, if you can make it BTW You learn about cars from others more than from any text book
k ill pm him also Thanks for ur help, i really appreciate it.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

IMO college comes first! If you think money is going to be an issue sell the car and go get a higher education. Remember once you graduate and get a good job (hopefully) then you can buy any BMW you want, you may get the F10 then!

Cars come and go but your education is once in a life time. Don't take any chances. GL

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='981720' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:43 AM
Hey guys, im trying to see what i should do with my car. I have an 05 545i w/ 83k miles. Ive actually been thinking of selling the car and have it on autotrader but i havent made up my mind completely. Heres my situation: Im 19, with a shitty job making about $260 a week, in college with a possibility that I might not receive financial aid. The car was a gift from my mother and i dont owe anything on it but im basically on my own now so i cant count on my mother anymore. The car is out of warranty and im scared if anything was to happen i wouldnt be able to afford the repairs. Also, if i dont receive financial aid, i would be having to save for college and take out loans. So I either keep the car, spend $50 on gas every week, hope that nothing goes wrong and drive a sweet car (maybe add some mods). OR I sell the car and buy something smaller. I havent gotten much interest on autotrader so far so keeping the car might be my only option.

KEEP:
If you say i should keep the car, give some ideas on small mods to do. My headlights are VERY blurry and they look disgusting so something to fix that would be nice. Im thinking about 8000k foglights but i dont know what kit/bulb im supposed to buy. I also want to remove the trunk spoiler and maybe put an m5 replica. Any other small mods to make the car look nicer would be appreciated.

SELL:
If you say sell the car, then give me some idea on how much i should sell the car or how much you think my car is worth. The car has the following:

Sport Package
Automatic Transmission
Heated Front Seats
Black Interior
Navigation
PDC

It also has the thing where you can see your speed on the front windshield. Whats that called?
I dont know if it has premium sound but the sound is really good.. (how can i know if it does?)

Any help/comments/concerns/questions are welcomed thanks for ur help..

Ive attached some pics:

Old 08-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

Call me old thinking .... I am 40+ yrs old. If I knew my kid make $260 a week, I am not going to give him e60 unless I am willing to cover the difference. As a e60 owner and in this board, sure I want to advise friends here to keep, as you said, "you are on your own", I'd suggest sell it and get a more reliable Jap. car. When I am age 19, I rode a 150CC motorcycle and fix all the problem myself. Save more and prepare for higher education as others mentioned. You are young and better BMWs already on the way.

Button Line, we all know that how much maintenance cost this thing will be. If you are handy and have place to fix most of problems, the parts cost is acceptable.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by krusir' post='982225' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:59 PM
Call me old thinking .... I am 40+ yrs old. If I knew my kid make $260 a week, I am not going to give him e60 unless I am willing to cover the difference. As a e60 owner and in this board, sure I want to advise friends here to keep, as you said, "you are on your own", I'd suggest sell it and get a more reliable Jap. car. When I am age 19, I rode a 150CC motorcycle and fix all the problem myself. Save more and prepare for higher education as others mentioned. You are young and better BMWs already on the way.

Button Line, we all know that how much maintenance cost this thing will be. If you are handy and have place to fix most of problems, the parts cost is acceptable.
I know im better off with a smaller car but the thing is that I havent gotten much interest for the car..
Old 08-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='982298' date='Aug 19 2009, 12:57 PM
I know im better off with a smaller car but the thing is that I havent gotten much interest for the car..

Keep waiting, post it here and on other forums and you'll get more interest. Autotrader is good, but better for the smaller dealers than for private sellers. Also, try craigslist, posting ads there is free. Good luck, and I agree with some of the other members - education first, with a degree you may have an M5 in your future

Quick Reply: Need some advice.