E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='423706' date='May 12 2007, 07:41 PM
When you say fog lights, do you mean, that you have manually turned on the fog lights??
eehh...yes...can they be automatically switched on!?

(in the quote I talk about turning lights, not fog lights)
Old 05-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scandic24' post='423708' date='May 12 2007, 08:54 PM
eehh...yes...can they be automatically switched on!?

(in the quote I talk about turning lights, not fog lights)
Sorry, my fault, forget about the quote.
Yes, they can automatically lit as normal taillights. (under some unknown circumstances)
Old 05-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='423710' date='May 12 2007, 08:00 PM
Sorry, my fault, forget about the quote.
Yes, they can automatically lit as normal taillights. (under some unknown circumstances)
Okay, nice.. I'll have to read the user manual
Old 05-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='423693' date='May 12 2007, 06:17 PM
But, what happend with the central taillamp?
I still think that the light sensor is the "master switch" on LCI functions :thumbsdown: bad for us pre-LCIers, but for LCIers
Nick you may be right about the light sensor playing a role in these lights. BMW must have thought during the day make the brakes more visible hence both light up, however in the night we don't need both lights and we'll save the central tail lamp for the BFD.

Anyone with an LCI saloon care to compare this behaviour. Also what about the US cars how does it behave.

How does this compare with the pre-LCI cars. During the day do both brake lights ever light up or is its always one light no matter what the DRL setting or outside light is. Also I remember some in the UK saying that his car always showed both lights while braking whereas my car (checked in the night) shows only one. Tomorrow morning I'll check with my car again.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Can any US owner of a pre-LCI car please confirm how their tail lights work. The reason for the question is on US spec cars the circle light is the BFD light whereas on the EU cars its the center light.
So when you press the brakes normally on a US do the other 2 lights center and outer light up or again only the outer as the EU cars.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Members

Thumbs up

Bruce, to get the light rods only with dim fog light, what about linking the two together, and disconnecting the 'old' tails, and putting a resistor in to fool the light out warning. The only concern I have is when switching the fog light on, what will happen to the leds? But haven't we already been doing that with the Led's linked up to the 'old' tails which go bright when braking???
Old 05-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Spig' post='423968' date='May 13 2007, 09:24 PM
Bruce, to get the light rods only with dim fog light, what about linking the two together, and disconnecting the 'old' tails, and putting a resistor in to fool the light out warning. The only concern I have is when switching the fog light on, what will happen to the leds? But haven't we already been doing that with the Led's linked up to the 'old' tails which go bright when braking???
This is a good option only if you never want to tell the person behind you that you are braking :thumbsdown: The bulbs are used for the brake lights in the LCI tail lamps, in the pre-LCI they are used for tail light and brake as well i.e. each bulb will be dim and then go bright on usage. This option would work if two separate bulbs were used for tail and brake but that is not the case.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='423974' date='May 13 2007, 09:49 PM
This is a good option only if you never want to tell the person behind you that you are braking :thumbsdown: The bulbs are used for the brake lights in the LCI tail lamps, in the pre-LCI they are used for tail light and brake as well i.e. each bulb will be dim and then go bright on usage. This option would work if two separate bulbs were used for tail and brake but that is not the case.
I thought they had a separate cable for the brake light. I'm sure that when I fitted my lights yesterday, I had the brake cable attached without the tail light cable, and I'm sure the brake lights worked, that's why I tried it. I will have to check again.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Spig' post='423976' date='May 13 2007, 09:57 PM
I thought they had a separate cable for the brake light. I'm sure that when I fitted my lights yesterday, I had the brake cable attached without the tail light cable, and I'm sure the brake lights worked, that's why I tried it. I will have to check again.so
You are absolutely correct that the brake is different from the tail light. However didn't you notice that on normal tail light mode all three lights i.e. brake, tail and fog are dimly lit. They each become bright depending on the function chosen i.e. brake, BFD or FOG.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='423977' date='May 13 2007, 10:03 PM
You are absolutely correct that the brake is different from the tail light. However didn't you notice that on normal tail light mode all three lights i.e. brake, tail and fog are dimly lit. They each become bright depending on the function chosen i.e. brake, BFD or FOG.
mmm But if you disconnect the link that we put in, and then disconnect the power to those lights I think the brake lights still work through the separate cable don't they?

Quick Reply: Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights