E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='423494' date='May 11 2007, 11:46 PM
i think the 1st picture...the car is moving(from looking at the wheel tires treads)
on the 2nd picture, it has it's brake on and probably not moving.
1st picture also is probably with DRL on.
2nd picture is with taillights on and brakes too.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='423497' date='May 11 2007, 05:53 PM
1st picture also is probably with DRL on.
2nd picture is with taillights on and brakes too.
this seems to be the most logical assumption.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

These pictures were meant to 'show off' the LED rods so I think they wouldn't take a shot with the brake lights on because that would just drown the rods. So first shot is with DRL and second is with normal tail lights.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:11 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I think it's the sun reflecting.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

I can't add much more to this thread except for a pic of the US model's red directional signals/flashers:

Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights-img_2644.jpg
Old 05-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='423337' date='May 11 2007, 05:27 PM
Dawi, you have the same year car as I do so can't see why do don't have BFD enabled. If you have the brochure of the car look at the various features and see how the BFD display looks on the UK car. Then go to your car and you'll notice that when you press the brake in normal situations only the outer light will become bright and not the whole taillight, the middle section will still stay dim. This section is supposed to light up on the BFD. The circle of course is dim or bright depending on the fog setting. Well thats how it works on mine.
No, definitely do not have it and I must say that I've never seen it working on any other pre-LCI E60 either in the UK. From reading other threads it would appear that the UK law changed prior to 2006 so that BFD could be operational. I can see it working in the brochure but not on my car or any other that I know.

Actually, I'm rather glad that it doesn't have this feature as I'm not convinced it has any benefits. I would rather the whole braking area light up however hard I hit the brakes rather than only half of it illuminating 90% of the time. IMO when braking the lights should be as visible as possible which means the whole area all the time.

Most drivers are not going to be aware that BMW have this system and so will not appreciate that the greater the illumination the harder the braking. Therefore, I see little point in the feature and in fact I would go so far as to say it is more unsafe due to less visible brake lights the majority of the time. :thumbsdown:

BMW probably felt that they had to incorporate such a gadgety feature a Mercedes had done it.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Here's what the touring/wagon tail lights looks like (Sweden).
(Note! I have inserted current switch setting in each pic. Also, fog lights cannot be activated with DRL and the flasher area in the trunk lid part of the light cluster have no LED's, they are fake)

Normal DRL - rods only.

Normal DRL - breaking.

Headlights and fog lights (no DRL).

Headlights, fog lights AND braking (no DRL).
(Note! Only one, outer , bulb lights up)
Old 05-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you!!

Now it is clear.

1. DRLs on LCIs are functioning only in the "auto" position just like the pre-LCIs
2. When DRL is enabled the brakes are using both taillamps, but normal tails and fog area taillamp is disabled.
3. When DRL is disabled tha brakes are using only the outter tailllamp, but fog area taillamp is enabled.

But, what happend with the central taillamp?
I still think that the light sensor is the "master switch" on LCI functions :thumbsdown: bad for us pre-LCIers, but for LCIers
Old 05-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Turning lights just flash
No dimming or any other effects on other lights during flashing
Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scandic24' post='423700' date='May 12 2007, 08:33 PM
Turning lights just flash
No dimming or any other effects on other lights during flashing
When you say fog lights, do you mean, that you have manually turned on the fog lights??

Quick Reply: Need owner of an LCI model to help with tail lights