E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on resetting Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 PM
hmz
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I've used all the guides available, but they didn't work though... I reach the process where I see "RESET", then click again, and goes back to "0", and click again and goes to the current value "-15000".

It's a 07 530i.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I think you are doing it right just do it one more time.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

That's because your brake pad sensor was worn. I'll give you my story.............

I had 2000 mi. to go until the next brake job. My iDrive was fine, no yellow or red warnings at all. So I decided to reset it anyway as I was going to get on the rear pads the next day (fronts were fine). Same thing happened as you but I also got a message that my pads were worn to their minimum wear. So I changed the brake pads and tried reset several times. I didn't think the sensor was worn because I was used to the E46 sensors. However I picked up new one and immediately notice the difference. Replaced sensor, reset computer and took care of it.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Yes, If you did not put in new sensors it will not work. once the sensors wear to a certain point, it becomes a electrical mechanical switch that completes a circuit that you cannot undo. Reseting only works if you have a good switch in place.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Either way, putting new sensors on is always a good idea when you swap your rotors and pads.

BTW when I had my brake job, I had the guys at the shop reset the service interval with the Autologic machine. I think it hooks up via OBD II port, but only the Autologic one has the right codes for the Bimmer.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Members

Agree with everyone. If your brake warning light comes on which it usually does. Then you have to change your sensor. In the uk the sensor is not expensive and I usually just order with the pads.
Sometimes the sensor looks ok but it isn't.
Change the sensor and then try a reset via the dash.

Fraseman
Old 07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Members

I too had same issue when replacing rear rotors and pads. Even though I had no brake light prior to doing the job, I had one when done. Apparently, there are readings taken from the sensor as it wears down. Now there is a time when the sensor never touches the rotor but plenty of meat left on the pads at that time.

I had to go and get a new sensor which I bought at the dealer as the one I first purchased at Advance auot was too short. Anywat once replaced I went through the reset and this time it did reset, it went to 50K.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 525DA, Beige bport leather seats, adaptive bixenons, PDC, NAV Pro, Carbon Black, M-Sport, Head-Up.

Originally Posted by meatzorb
I too had same issue when replacing rear rotors and pads.
Is this a straight forward DIY job? I have purchased all the parts, ready to get my hands dirty.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Members

yep really easy, i done mine last weekend took about 2.5 hours to do front and back.

take the calipers off and you need to take the caliper holders off on the back too. You can get away without taking the holder off the front, the disc should go in at an angle. get a g clamp to push the pistons back before putting the new pads on...remove the brake fluid resovoiur cover and put a rag over it then wind the calipers back nice and slowly.

easy job and save a fortune avoiding the dealer.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 525DA, Beige bport leather seats, adaptive bixenons, PDC, NAV Pro, Carbon Black, M-Sport, Head-Up.

Thanks a lot

BTW, here is a procedure regarding resetting the service intervalls....you mind fint it useful.

This was written by kev525:

Firstly with the ignition switched on, set the odometer trip meter back to zero by pushing it once. Then switch the ignition back off again. (I found this step was critical, otherwise I couldn't get to the "Service" menu).

Now you are ready to go through the reset steps as follows:

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.

5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

Hints & Tips
Before actually resetting anything, go through steps 1, 2 and 6 above until you are familiar (and sure) what you want to reset. Practice this a few times and note down in what order the icons appear after the initial "Service" icon appears.

If you do happen to hold the button down too long against an item you don't want to reset and the "RESET?" appears, just leave the button alone for 10 seconds or so and it will not let you reset the item. (Alternatively just switch the ignition off and start again).

Sometimes if you have not released and pressed the button again quickly enough, when you hold it down again the German technical writing will appear after about 15 - 20 seconds instead of the Service item icon you were expecting. (If this happens just switch off the ignition and start again).

Once you are sure what item you want to reset and are confident of the sequence, then give it a go. If you do hesitate between releasing and pressing the button at any time, you will have to go back to the beginning and start again as "he who hesitates is lost".

It took me a while to get the hang of it and I'm sure it'll take me a while to get my head around it again next time.

Let me know how you get on.