E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need help!! Problem with HID xenon fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 03:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

For EBMCS03

Ok, now I have to ask. I keep seeing references to PIAA 4700K fogs. I know the OEM is HB4 that equals 9600 bulb. I can only find a 4000k Xtreme White Plus and Star White at 3800K on the PIAA web site. What / where is the 4700K?
Old 01-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess 4700K is imported from Japan. You can only find those on aftermarket parts vendor website.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 23 2005, 10:26 PM
[quote name='Phill' date='Jan 23 2005, 07:18 PM']well, in the time that you are buying more replacements, the HID's will still be alive and well . and plus, the PIAA's are really bad for your wiring. i had issues with melting harnesses and recently had a problem with a full electrical short in my car because of them, it took my mechanic's 3 weeks to find the problem mainly because it's not as obvious where the socket is melted or something like that. it went all over the place. this was in my honda odyseyy.
[snapback]82347[/snapback]
What?! were you running the right bulbs?
[snapback]82350[/snapback]
[/quote]

yea, they were the right bulbs, never again will i buy those kinda of bulbs.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

they melted my '04 Audi A4 foglight housings. They are GARBADGE!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Jan 24 2005, 04:48 AM
For EBMCS03

Ok, now I have to ask.? I keep seeing references to PIAA 4700K fogs.? I know the OEM is HB4 that equals 9600 bulb.? I can only find a 4000k Xtreme White Plus and Star White at 3800K on the PIAA web site.? What / where is the 4700K?
[snapback]82439[/snapback]
Ya thats right they are aftermarket bulbs imported from Japan or find a Rice Rocket store, they probably carry them.

See here for which kind people use here.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5912
Old 01-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jan 24 2005, 12:01 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Jan 23 2005, 10:26 PM'][quote name='Phill' date='Jan 23 2005, 07:18 PM']well, in the time that you are buying more replacements, the HID's will still be alive and well . and plus, the PIAA's are really bad for your wiring. i had issues with melting harnesses and recently had a problem with a full electrical short in my car because of them, it took my mechanic's 3 weeks to find the problem mainly because it's not as obvious where the socket is melted or something like that. it went all over the place. this was in my honda odyseyy.
[snapback]82347[/snapback]
What?! were you running the right bulbs?
[snapback]82350[/snapback]
[/quote]

yea, they were the right bulbs, never again will i buy those kinda of bulbs.
[snapback]82544[/snapback]
[/quote]

As for the bulbs burning the wiring... If they were right they should not burn the wiring... The PIAA bulbs used here by many people are 55W 12V bulbs; OEM bulbs are suppose to be 51W 12V bulbs so the PIAA bulbs are actually running 1/3 amp more which isnt enough and should not burn the wires.

If you had problems I hope it was cause you ran a bulb that had differernt specs.

No one here has had any problems with the PIAA 4700 Xtreme Bulbs yet right?? I sure hope not. If so SPEAK UP I need to remove mine.
Attached Thumbnails Need help!! Problem with HID xenon fog lights-fog.jpg  
Old 01-25-2005, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Ya thats right they are aftermarket bulbs imported from Japan or find a Rice Rocket store, they probably carry them.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5912
I had looked at your detailed DIY which was very informative, but missed the fact that the principal written information on the package was in kanji. Is there a specific after market vendor web site you can refer me to? I have done several different web searches but can only find the PIAA 4000K tops on any site found to date.

Sorry to keep nagging on this subject. I may find that the 4000k is as high as I want to go anyway. It appears they are both (the 4000k and 4700K) at 55 watts so as you say the increase amperage draw is truly minimal and not the cause of any electrical harm.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Jan 25 2005, 07:16 AM
Sorry to keep nagging on this subject.? I may find that the 4000k is as high as I want to go anyway.? It appears they are both (the 4000k and 4700K) at 55 watts so as you say the increase amperage draw is truly minimal and not the cause of any electrical harm.
[snapback]82731[/snapback]
Oh I bought it off ebay. I wasnt able to successfully find a place online to buy it.

Here is the same one I bought, same seller, same price. I just used the buy it now option. Hes a good guy. responds to e-mails quick and ships the item quick, the bulbs are shipped directly from Japan with a tracking number that he'll give you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33710

I dont know how white / brighter 700 degrees Kelvin is. I assume not toooo much. So 4000 would probably still match the Xenons pretty good. Why not just go with the 4700K and that perticular one. Most people here that have done it use that specific one and no one has reported any problems so far. Alohalc has used them for 6 months now and says its still working fine hasnt blwon his car up yet. Thats the main reason for me to go with the one cause know people who used them with out any problems yet.

Ya 1/3 amp difference wouldnt be any different to a wire unless BMW use CHEAP wires and are already overloading it. I dont think thats the case. Japanese cars on the other hand DO USE CHEAP wires. Poorly gagued wires even in their NSXs!!! So blowing and burning wires on a japanese car is not as suprising to me than on a german car.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Contributors

EBMCS03 Posted Today, 08:36 PM
? QUOTE(cobradav @ Jan 25 2005, 07:16 AM)
Sorry to keep nagging on this subject.? I may find that the 4000k is as high as I want to go anyway.? It appears they are both (the 4000k and 4700K) at 55 watts so as you say the increase amperage draw is truly minimal and not the cause of any electrical harm.

Oh I bought it off ebay. I wasnt able to successfully find a place online to buy it.

Here is the same one I bought, same seller, same price. I just used the buy it now option. Hes a good guy. responds to e-mails quick and ships the item quick, the bulbs are shipped directly from Japan with a tracking number that he'll give you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710

I dont know how white / brighter 700 degrees Kelvin is. I assume not toooo much. So 4000 would probably still match the Xenons pretty good. Why not just go with the 4700K and that perticular one. Most people here that have done it use that specific one and no one has reported any problems so far. Alohalc has used them for 6 months now and says its still working fine hasnt blwon his car up yet.? Thats the main reason for me to go with the one cause know people who used them with out any problems yet.

Ya 1/3 amp difference wouldnt be any different to a wire unless BMW use CHEAP wires and are already overloading it. I dont think thats the case. Japanese cars on the other hand DO USE CHEAP wires. Poorly gagued wires even in their NSXs!!! So blowing and burning wires on a japanese car is not as suprising to me than on a german car.

Thanks for the quick response. I am at the web site now to make purchase. Appreciate your effort
Old 01-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

yes, i have them for over 7 months now and still in good shape. make sure don't touch the bulbs when you replace them. don't forget to post some pics later .

Quick Reply: Need help!! Problem with HID xenon fog lights