E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010 | 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

I have my car up on ramps and jacks, level. I took the front bottom panel off the engine (the six phillips screw thing) and am looking to drain my coolant so I can refill it with new. Problem is, I don't see the drain plug on my car???? Appears to be a plastic "housing" that surrounds the radiator, and may have to come off to get to the drain plug.

Anyone else with the 550i sport that has done this and can provide some insight to me?

Thanks much!
Old 03-14-2010 | 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

It's not the red plastic screw plug on the passengers side right?

DELETE - of course it's not the RED plug. Should be blue I think. Not sure what the red one is, but I'm not touching it.

Still can't find the damn drain plug. I'm thinking I'm going to have to remove a bunch of stuff to get to it. Ridiculous, this should be an easy DIY.
Old 03-14-2010 | 09:26 AM
Contributors

i see it listed, but is there a trick to get to it? It's number 2 below.

Old 03-14-2010 | 10:10 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

Off Topic but YOU GOT THE SPRINT BOOSTER?
Old 03-14-2010 | 10:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Off Topic but YOU GOT THE SPRINT BOOSTER?
I did. I was in the anti-SB crowd a month ago, saw the new adjustable one came out, figured I'd try it. Have to admit, I love it.

Now, back to topic...I am still trying to figure out this radiator drain plug issue. Have the car all jacked up in the garage and I keep going from looking at it to refreshing this forum hoping someone has some advice and experience doing this....

Old 03-14-2010 | 12:03 PM
Contributors

Anyone?
Old 03-14-2010 | 12:11 PM
Former Vendor

That's exactly why I said something. You weren't just anti-SB, you adamantly hated that thing.

Originally Posted by bha7176
I did. I was in the anti-SB crowd a month ago, saw the new adjustable one came out, figured I'd try it. Have to admit, I love it.

Now, back to topic...I am still trying to figure out this radiator drain plug issue. Have the car all jacked up in the garage and I keep going from looking at it to refreshing this forum hoping someone has some advice and experience doing this....

Old 03-14-2010 | 12:15 PM
Former Vendor

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...at-change.html

"There is not a lt of working space with the radiator still installed though - so for anyone attempting this in the future, I'd go ahead and pull the radiator (it is designed for very easy removal)."
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=290364

don't know if those links help or not
Old 03-14-2010 | 12:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...at-change.html

"There is not a lt of working space with the radiator still installed though - so for anyone attempting this in the future, I'd go ahead and pull the radiator (it is designed for very easy removal)."
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=290364

don't know if those links help or not
Thanks, but no i saw these earlier and they don't help with my car.

F%ck it! I just put it all back together and lowered it off the ramps. I'll wait till someone posts up some info on how to do this. I'm surprised I couldn't find a detailed DIY for this as everyone talks about changing all the fluids per Mike Miller's recommendations. I think in order to get to the drain plug in the LCI 550i you have to just about pull the damn radiator out in which case you could just drain it that way. But, that just seems insane to me that its this difficult. Hopefully someone out there has done it and comes across this thread and posts up their experience.
Old 03-15-2010 | 08:16 AM
Contributors

Fellow LCI 550i owners - any of you drained your coolant for a refill? How did you get to the drain plug? Any DIY posted anywhere that you know of. I've searched and searched but can't seem to find one anywhere.