E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need E60 advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:16 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E39 touring....E32
Default Need E60 advice

I am looking at an 2007 E60 530 50k miles to buy. It's a two owner and I am new to E60. I currently have an E39 touring and an E32 also have had E34's an so on. I do my own work on my cars.

I have read a lot about the issues with the trans throttle body's and electronics and want some input on failure rate on this and other things to look for on this car. Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by BeDHeaD
I have read a lot about the issues with the trans throttle body's and electronics and want some input on failure rate on this and other things to look for on this car. Thanks
There are a lot to discuss. Each vehicle is different. You're referring to what BMW calls a "mechatronics" unit and what others refer to as the transmission "throttle body". Like I said each car is different and there are too many things for me to list. They're hit or miss. Reliability is not something I would not credit to BMW. I own 3 different chassis' and the E60 is the most worry some from things I see people post (although I've never had an issue)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

I own an Infiniti Q45, Lexus 430, Mercedes S320 and a BMW 545i at the moment.

The Japanese government affords its manufacturing base the greatest leeway in design and production.

The German government is crazy with their "green" concerns. I do mean "crazy".

100%; the Japanese car will afford less expense over the next 5 years.

As Achtung60 has stated many times: Japanese cars are more "reliable" than German cars. I 100% agree with that.

My 545i is the fastest and nimblest, of the cars I own. But it is NOT the most reliable. My Lexus Ls430 is a marvel of reliable engineering. An amazing car in that regard.

But the 545i is the most enjoyable drive that I own at the moment.

Any BMW will be less reliable than a Lexus or Acura or Inifiniti.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Cousin was going to buy a bimmer. I told him to look for the higher-end jap brands. Specifically Infiniti. Having owned one for about 4 months and knowing it's a Nissan, I didn't need more time with her. I had my heart set on a BMW at the time and took the leap. I do regret it. He just picked up an 08 G35 Sedan. 305 rwhp. It's quite amazing. Especially at the price he picked it up for and the condition it was in. It's RWD. I would never intentionally own a FWD car. Someone once said "i'd rather be pushed than pulled" i agree
Old 05-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Cousin was going to buy a bimmer. I told him to look for the higher-end jap brands. Specifically Infiniti. Having owned one for about 4 months and knowing it's a Nissan, I didn't need more time with her. I had my heart set on a BMW at the time and took the leap. I do regret it. He just picked up an 08 G35 Sedan. 305 rwhp. It's quite amazing. Especially at the price he picked it up for and the condition it was in. It's RWD. I would never intentionally own a FWD car. Someone once said "i'd rather be pushed than pulled" i agree
While I've enjoyed my 5 series for years - 7 of em - at the time I was purchasing I was also interested in looking into the G35/M45, Acura TL, and the E500. The 545i was an impulse buy - I saw her, drove her, bought her. I don't regret the fun times modding and enjoying. But, a couple relatives went the M45 and G35 routes. Years later, they've had nary a hiccup beyound routine stuff (strut changes, brakes, tuneups, service, etc). I've had tranny issues, engine issues, catalytic converter failures, iDrive, MPM, slams, valve stems...lots of cash on a car that wasnt cheap when I bought her. Im seriously contemplating the Infinity M56....but I'll probably wind up driving an F series 550 and buying the damned thing. Smh at BMW.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

I have an 07 525i.. luckily 'most' of the issues i've had (including transmission change) was covered under CPO. I'm currently selling it and planning to try out Mercedes..
Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive

As a new E60 owner myself, I can only say I am blown away by the endorphin rush I get driving my 535i. I did own a G35, mod'd it up to close to 400 HP and it was FAST, but listen to this : I had fun for the first 4 minutes every time I drove it, then regretted every mile after. The fit, finish, ergonomics and comfort were just ok, not BMW or Lexus quality at all. I would never buy another Infinity product, for those reasons and the dealer service was like from a Yugo. These are my opinions alone and I am sure there are others who might argue the opposite side. I've also owned, modified and enjoyed 3 different Lexus vehicles. They are exceptionally well built and reliable, but not very sexy.

So far, my take is that the E60 is a sweet, comfortable, hi-tech sedan that's like a sheep in wolf's clothes, so to speak. When you step on it, the BMW is as thrilling as any high performance car I've ever experienced.