E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need a car and like some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008 | 02:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)
Talking

Originally Posted by krava' post='737615' date='Dec 4 2008, 06:23 AM
Cheaper to buy: and 06 550i and 06 TL from what I have seen is real close to the same price, I figured the service cost is more for the BWM but is it like maybe $1000 to $500 or more like $1000 to $750 for the acura? What if you take the bwm to a non bmw serivce center where aka the TL and the BMW would cost the same to fix (for going the acutal cost of the part.) the part cost more for the BMW I know. I drive around 40K miles a year right now and will probably put up atleast 250-300K miles on the next car I get. The BWM has better quality materials etc so does that mean the Transmission last longer on the BWM then the ACURA or the engine? Those 2 parts I don't want to have to replace.
Quite honestly, if you have to even ask, buy the TL. You need the Acura, not the BMW based on your comments. End of story and have a nice day.
Old 12-04-2008 | 04:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='737619' date='Dec 4 2008, 06:42 AM
Quite honestly, if you have to even ask, buy the TL. You need the Acura, not the BMW based on your comments. End of story and have a nice day.
is someone a little snappy this morning? ? your up early.. need coffee?? ill make you a cup
Old 12-04-2008 | 04:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525I/TITANIUM SILVER METALLIC/GREY LEATHER INTERIOR/EURO RED REFLECTORS/20% TINT/EURO STICKER/BMW CCA STICKER

Its an Acura....it will never compare to a "BWM"
Old 12-04-2008 | 06:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by krava' post='737615' date='Dec 4 2008, 04:23 AM
Cheaper to buy: and 06 550i and 06 TL from what I have seen is real close to the same price, I figured the service cost is more for the BWM but is it like maybe $1000 to $500 or more like $1000 to $750 for the acura? What if you take the bwm to a non bmw serivce center where aka the TL and the BMW would cost the same to fix (for going the acutal cost of the part.) the part cost more for the BMW I know. I drive around 40K miles a year right now and will probably put up atleast 250-300K miles on the next car I get. The BWM has better quality materials etc so does that mean the Transmission last longer on the BWM then the ACURA or the engine? Those 2 parts I don't want to have to replace.
Krava.....

+1 the maintenance and repair costs for the BMW are going to be higher then the Acura. As for reliability, honestly its a crap shoot, youre either gonna get a car with problems or you wont not matter which one you choose. If I had to pick between the TL and the 550i, then hands down no competition I would go with the 550i. You are comparing a rear wheel drive V8 german performance sedan vs a front wheel drive japanese luxo/performance car. Aside from the peformance aspect, Acura has already rolled out the new body style, where as the 550i, we got about a year and possibly 2 before the new 5 series rolls out. So you got to think about the styling aspect as well. If you get the Acura, you are already rolling the old body style.

Finally as for reliability, well since your looking at an 06, you are more then likely still be under the factory warranty and maintenance agreement for the 1st 6 months to a year, so hands down thats another simple choice. And if youre really smart you look at getting a CPO, that would be added protection for your investment.

GL in your choice.
Old 12-04-2008 | 06:39 AM
Contributors

Sounds like you are doing alot of highway driving. If so, any modern car should do well for you. I have put 186k on a Saab 95 Aero, 180k on an Accord, and currently have 84k on my '07 530. Engines and transmissions (I always buy manuals) should last forever with highway driving. Electronics of newer cars are also very reliable.

You're gonna burn up alot more fuel with a 550 vs TL, as well as tires. The BMW is going to be quieter and better ride.

My .02
Old 12-04-2008 | 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

GL on the 550i!
Old 12-04-2008 | 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

My son has an Acura TL-S. Bought it CPO with <40K miles. Needed new transmission within first few months (just like his dad's 525xi) and has had a shimmy almost ever since he's bought it. Several Acura dealers and high end suspension and tire shops have not been able to find a solution.

All I am saying is that reliability numbers are usuall flawed. As people here pointed out when I first joined, BMW owners seem to be a fussy lot. We expect our machines to be perfect and will complain loudly if there is just a little nuisance such as a scratch on a trim, or something like that, while the Acura and Lexus owners might complain about different problems, usually the really big ones, and even then they write it off as an anomaly and not make a big fuss of it because, after all, their cars are supposed to be perfect.

I am just saying that you should probably test drive both and make your decision based on your driving experience. Make sure you have enough warranty left to take care of all the hidden problems that most pre-owned cars have and then with maintenance and effort on your part, you can enjoy years of trouble-free driving.
Old 12-04-2008 | 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Get the 550i WITH a warranty and just enjoy the hell out of the better car!!
Old 12-04-2008 | 08:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='737746' date='Dec 4 2008, 11:17 AM
My son has an Acura TL-S. Bought it CPO with <40K miles. Needed new transmission within first few months (just like his dad's 525xi) and has had a shimmy almost ever since he's bought it. Several Acura dealers and high end suspension and tire shops have not been able to find a solution.

All I am saying is that reliability numbers are usuall flawed. As people here pointed out when I first joined, BMW owners seem to be a fussy lot. We expect our machines to be perfect and will complain loudly if there is just a little nuisance such as a scratch on a trim, or something like that, while the Acura and Lexus owners might complain about different problems, usually the really big ones, and even then they write it off as an anomaly and not make a big fuss of it because, after all, their cars are supposed to be perfect.

I am just saying that you should probably test drive both and make your decision based on your driving experience. Make sure you have enough warranty left to take care of all the hidden problems that most pre-owned cars have and then with maintenance and effort on your part, you can enjoy years of trouble-free driving.

yes my dad has a TL-S and it also need a new tranny... I think it was a recall
Old 12-04-2008 | 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Here in Europe a Acura is a Honda, or something.

Honda is nice but never even close as a Premium car.

Buy a loaded Honda and save your money for a nice car.

Quick Reply: Need a car and like some advice