E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need a car and like some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have delt with all kinds of cars. My latest car (by force long story) is a 1999 WV passat turbo with 170,000K miles on it. It was hit in the back and I bought and didn't know about it but the alignment can't be fixed (other then pulling the frame). The accelleration is horrible and going up a hill I can't go any faster then when I start going up it, ABS sensor is bad etc. Anyway that aside, the next car I am going to get I want some power. Previous cars (before the incident) were 1999 Corvette modded, 1998 acura NSX supercharged widebody, 20003 tl-s, 1999 BMW 530i sport(which I totalled in 2 weeks) 2002 lexus GS 430. The bmw cornered better then the other sedans but the lexus gs430 was the best car out of the bunch in my opinion. My question is how is the reliablity of the 550i and also how much is the services done to it compared to the acura TL. The WV I have now I have to fix every month with something going wrong. The next car I will take care of it as best I can because I won't be able to afford another one I don't think and I want it to last me 10 years or so. Don't get me wrong I want to be able to outrun people on the freeway when they get in my way. (right now when I am in the fast lane and someone is coming at me fast I say oh my god he is going to hit me since I have absolutely no accelleration in that VW and I am sick of that and need power but I think that either car should be alot better then what I have now.). Also does the BMW have a timing belt or chain and does it need to be replaced? I guess it boils down to just how much more does the BMW cost on average of total ownership over the acura tl. If anyone is wondering I picked the 2006 model because it is in the price range and if you are driving a car and someone doesn't know about cars they can't tell if it is brand new or 4 years old as long as you keep it looking nice and it "appears" to be more expensive then what it actually is.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been looking around on this page (didn't know this page existed) and see there is cars for sale just like on the club lexus forum. (people on the club lexus forum mostly sell 10 year old cars) and I will probably narrow my search down to some modded car either on here or on that forum.

What got me started on this was this link: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p...amp;cardist=209
Old 12-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Contributors

Acura TL to a 550i... totaly two diff cars. I think the acura would be more reliable tho'
Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Contributors

Agreed. I have heard real good things about the acura.
They seem to have pretty good reliability and because it is a japanese car, it will definitely have a better cost to value ratio. (More standard features, lower price tag etc)
Old 12-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Members

when you say cost to value ratio are you talking about buying new or total cost of ownership? I don't want to go out and buy a BMW and then have to spend $2500 on a part in the first year I have it and your saying they have pretty good reliablity the BWM doesn't? Buying new the acura would be the best cost to value but what about used I think that puts it in a different league there
Old 12-04-2008, 01:56 AM
Contributors

IMO, I think acura does have a better reliability than BMWs.
5 of my friends drive a mdx, 4 of my friends drive a TL, 3 of my friends drive an rsx.
I have owned a acura integra type R in the past.

I have never had any problems with the integra type R, it was actually a real light sporty ride.
And i have heard nothing but praise from my friends; as Acura offer many features standard that will appear as an option on a typical BMW vehicle.

Don't forget, anything European and BMW costs more

By saying cost to value, i'm saying the price tag in comparison with the vehicle features. (You would get more features and more power)
Of course, styling and performance is another issue.
The stylish 550i will definitely satisfy your wildest fantasies (if not the m5 will )
Old 12-04-2008, 01:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i sport 6spd Sapphire Black/Tan

Acura and Honda have great resell value
Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Contributors

right.

BMW and Benz have pretty poor residuals
Old 12-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Members

Resale value isn't a concern. I am driving this WV passat to the ground. I paid $5K for it with 78,000 miles on it back in 05. along with a $2K set of wheels. So far the car has been hit in 3 different spots. 1st time on the passenger side $1800 worth of damage, I didn't fix it kept the money. 2nd time pep boys dropped a big metal sign on the other side. another $1800 worth of damage. Then rear ended at less then 5 mph at a stop light $800 damage. Didn't replace anything kept all the money. This next car I am going to drive to the ground also, so resale value isn't important.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:17 AM
Contributors

Krava,

Sounds like the Acura is the ideal car for you then.
Don't drive a 550i to the ground heh, maintenance costs are higher than Acuras if you sudden decide you would want to fix anything.

The TL is simply cheaper to buy, less costly to maintain, and i was totally surprised about the features they have standard compare to the e60.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 AM
Members

Cheaper to buy: and 06 550i and 06 TL from what I have seen is real close to the same price, I figured the service cost is more for the BWM but is it like maybe $1000 to $500 or more like $1000 to $750 for the acura? What if you take the bwm to a non bmw serivce center where aka the TL and the BMW would cost the same to fix (for going the acutal cost of the part.) the part cost more for the BMW I know. I drive around 40K miles a year right now and will probably put up atleast 250-300K miles on the next car I get. The BWM has better quality materials etc so does that mean the Transmission last longer on the BWM then the ACURA or the engine? Those 2 parts I don't want to have to replace.

Quick Reply: Need a car and like some advice