E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice with antenna install. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 03:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all - I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to install an FM modulator into my car. Due to the fact that the E60 doesn't support MP3 playback yet & that I already own a Phatbox (coolest MP3 player ever!) I am thinking about installing it into my new E60. The Phatbox does not support the data bus of the E60 natively so I will have to use a Kenwood FM Modulator to get it installed. Now I just bought this FM modulator and it seems that it has an antenna pass-through connection (my thought was that it would just broadcast the radio signal hard enough so that the antenna of the car would pick up the signal, which apparently is not the case), now does anyone know where I can find this antenna cable in the E60? I also read in the manual of the FM modulator that it will block the original antenna signal when activating the FM modulator (blocking the antenna-in connection) so that the signal would be clear, now I also have the Pro Nav in my car and I do not want to lose the TMC signal for my Nav when using the modulator, so preferable I would need the antenna signal after it passed the TMC unit of the Nav. Any idea's on how to accomplish this? Francois, I think you have access to TIS, if so, could you please help me out here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

So complicated> why not wait for the sofware update that gets the mP3 TO WORK ON YOUR NATIVE SYSTEM?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Members

an mp3 cd doesn't hold much compared to a 40 gig mp3 player like an ipod. Would be nice if BMW were to offer a hard disk based solution that integrated into idrive, I believe Audi now offer this.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Hey GarryF, you are correct, Audi is offering this now. What they do not tell you is that it in fact is a re-packaged Phatbox (made by Phatnoise) which is exactly the same as my unit but with an Audi logo on it, that's all.

Another advantage of using this unit over the to be release software update for MP3 CD support, is that is uses a DMS that can hold up to 40 Gig of music and also supports some other audio formats, and in addition you will get SSA, which is a voice-prompt based system that will allow you to quickly find and generate dynamic playlists! Basically once you have, you will no longer be able to live without it.

Anyway, back to my original question, is there someone that can help me out here? If so please help!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

I installed sat radio in my car. Its very complicated to get the FM modulater in. First you need yo pop foor all of the wood trim to the right of the wheel(US) It pulls off after alot of pulling. Then you need to unscrew the faceplate for the climate control. Then you will see most of the dash. There are four screew holding in the radio, which is the cd player. After you unscrew the radio in should just pull out. The on the back or the radio on the right there will be a little connetor far away from the other plugs. It doesnt look like a normal antenna plug. You have to cut the wire a little back then cut the wire off the modulator. Splice the modulator plug onto the feed coming from the antenna the splice the wire from the modulator to the radio plug. Plug in put it back together and hope in work.
Post any question
Old 04-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

Hey Zippers525 - First of all thanks for the reply! I think your feedback will come in very handy!

If I understand correctly what you are saying then I will have to cut the antenna cable (which runs to the back of the radio) and wire both ends of the cable to the antenna out signal of my FM modulator? So basically what you are saying is, put the signal of the FM modulator on the wire of the antenna, can you please confirm that this is correct?

Once more thanks for your help!
Old 04-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

ok i thought youd have some trouble. The current antenn cable used by the car does not have the correct size plug to fit directly into the modulator and the cord coming out of the modulator wont fit into the radio. The solution is to switch them. You switch the connectors and wire the properly (best with sodlier and electrical tape). and it should work. Mine Does