E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation upgrade

Old 08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I'm looking at adding navigation to my 2008 535i LCI. I see several on eBay and want to know if any of you are familiar with adding one and what to look out for. Some of them say they cam out of a 530 or 525. I don't think that is relevant but imagine it's not LCI. Not that I would really know, other than concerns that it would work or adapt correctly. I see several on ebay and will most like make a purchase once I hear back from some of you. Most of them seem to go around 1000.00 for the head unit and screen, so I am curious what else I would need. Would be interested in have to purchase tons of more stuff to make it work though....
Old 08-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you looking for the CCC or CIC based system? CCC will be cheaper and easier but CIC will cost more, more work, but be better. You need to make that decision before you go much farther. I personally did the CCC retrofit when I had my 525. I thought about doing the CIC in my 545 but have been driving a F10 loaner and am not entirely convinced that the retrofit would be worth 2K+. It is nice, but other than graphics is pretty much the same thing as I have now.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by locomotiveBart
Are you looking for the CCC or CIC based system? CCC will be cheaper and easier but CIC will cost more, more work, but be better. You need to make that decision before you go much farther. I personally did the CCC retrofit when I had my 525. I thought about doing the CIC in my 545 but have been driving a F10 loaner and am not entirely convinced that the retrofit would be worth 2K+. It is nice, but other than graphics is pretty much the same thing as I have now.
I don't have a clue what the CIC or CCC difference is. I also have a 2011 X5 with navigation and it seems to be a little more updated than what I would expect. What would have come in the 2008 535? Also, it seems as the price range is running around 1000.00 for the two pieces and I assume this is all that I need except for the programming and a disc.

Do you know if the unit is purchased used from Germany or Europe if it would matter? Some of the add indicate this is where it will come from. I assume it only matters what disc you install but I don't know for sure.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

CIC is probably what is in your x5. Your 535 would have come with CCC. CCC is the DVD based system and CIC is the hard drive based system. To do the CCC system you need. The CCC (main unit), nav screen, antenna, and "high" idrive controller as well as a new dash bezel to surround the CCC. Everything is pretty much plug and play with some coding required. Others can probably help more with the CIC details, but from my brief reading, you will need the same as above as well as new heater controls if you want it perfect. Coding is much more extensive (and expensive) as the CIC was never meant to be in an E60. The dealer pretty much will not touch nor support Either upgrade. My best advice is to look at the 2 systems and READ THE FINE PRINT. Many of the eBay systems mention in the description the hundreds of extra dollars it will cost for activation, language, bla bla bla (for the CIC system). Once again, the CCC is cheaper and easier, but not as nice. Do some solid research before buying.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Originally Posted by locomotiveBart
CIC is probably what is in your x5. Your 535 would have come with CCC. CCC is the DVD based system and CIC is the hard drive based system. To do the CCC system you need. The CCC (main unit), nav screen, antenna, and "high" idrive controller as well as a new dash bezel to surround the CCC. Everything is pretty much plug and play with some coding required. Others can probably help more with the CIC details, but from my brief reading, you will need the same as above as well as new heater controls if you want it perfect. Coding is much more extensive (and expensive) as the CIC was never meant to be in an E60. The dealer pretty much will not touch nor support Either upgrade. My best advice is to look at the 2 systems and READ THE FINE PRINT. Many of the eBay systems mention in the description the hundreds of extra dollars it will cost for activation, language, bla bla bla (for the CIC system). Once again, the CCC is cheaper and easier, but not as nice. Do some solid research before buying.
Some later E60's got the CIC - my girlfriend's uncle in NY has a 535i with it (the fullscreen map and intuitive interface are amazing). Also - turns out you do not need (or really want) the iDrive high controller. I swapped mine out for the low and set ZBE to low_with_slopes and my life got a lot easier (scrolling through large iPod playlists). Things got even better when I upgraded the software on the CGATE and went to a CIC controller with the shortcuts. No more trying to remember what direction to hold the knob to get to essential functions in a hurry.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

Yes, did a little reading and I have the CIC in the X5. So, I would be interested in a CCC system assuming this will be the easiest and cheapest to get it up and running. Not too excited about putting a new contoller in the console and having to cut this out...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sublime
Some later E60's got the CIC - my girlfriend's uncle in NY has a 535i with it (the fullscreen map and intuitive interface are amazing). Also - turns out you do not need (or really want) the iDrive high controller. I swapped mine out for the low and set ZBE to low_with_slopes and my life got a lot easier (scrolling through large iPod playlists). Things got even better when I upgraded the software on the CGATE and went to a CIC controller with the shortcuts. No more trying to remember what direction to hold the knob to get to essential functions in a hurry.
Can the CIC controller be used with the first gen (no shortcuts) CCC? If so I'm very interested in doing this as that is one of the only things I like about the F10 I'm driving right now. Wish we could have figured out the controller thing when we did my 525 as the haptic feedback is annoying with the phonebook and iPod. I may eventually go CIC nav but for now the cost outweighs the benefits, although the routing within the nav and the interface is much improved.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Yeah David - it's a bit of a process because you have to use WinKFP to update the CGATE and it's a nerve-racking process. I was walked through it from members here on the board. if you look through the CIC retrofit log you will see what needs to be done as far as the wiring goes - it is only 4 wires you need and they all fit into the 4 prong plug the menu/voice buttons use. You need canHIGH/canLOW/12v/ground.

Check out this link: https://5series.net/forums/topic/994.../page__st__360

As for the software update - I wouldn't feel qualified to walk you through that, but the info is here and a few of the 'guru's' know what's what with WinKFP. I felt like it was an accident that I actually succeeded in the upgrade and didn't fry my CCC. Although at one point I was convinced I messed something up because once you do the update, your old controller will not work unless you downgrade - a process I am unfamiliar with. PM, email or call me and I can share with you all I know and remember. I'll be overseas starting the 19th for 3 months - so only email at that point

WinKFP tips:

http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/forums...9b1af840d4a143

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1581998

Parts list:

51169169999 - cic controller trim piece

65829231116 - cic controller
Old 08-16-2011, 03:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Sounds like a future project

To clarify for Tony, you will need a CCC, a Nav screen, and a gps antenna with fakra connector. Your video cable can be reused with a minor modification and according to Chase, your fine with your standard controller.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

damnit!

i literally just sold my Nav system yesterday because i couldnt get my new CIC idrive contorller already fabricated and installed into my center console to work with the CCC navigation i had just installed and programmed.

now i learn that WinKFP could be used to update the firmware. the thing is i was trying to code ZBE to low_with_slopes but the CAPPL would not accept the job execution. perhaps i left my frustration get the best of me a bit early....but screw it. now im determined to do the CIC install instead. too bad i didnt see this thread/PM you a day or two earlier. SMH

Originally Posted by Sublime
Yeah David - it's a bit of a process because you have to use WinKFP to update the CGATE and it's a nerve-racking process. I was walked through it from members here on the board. if you look through the CIC retrofit log you will see what needs to be done as far as the wiring goes - it is only 4 wires you need and they all fit into the 4 prong plug the menu/voice buttons use. You need canHIGH/canLOW/12v/ground.

Check out this link: http://forums.5serie...g/page__st__360

As for the software update - I wouldn't feel qualified to walk you through that, but the info is here and a few of the 'guru's' know what's what with WinKFP. I felt like it was an accident that I actually succeeded in the upgrade and didn't fry my CCC. Although at one point I was convinced I messed something up because once you do the update, your old controller will not work unless you downgrade - a process I am unfamiliar with. PM, email or call me and I can share with you all I know and remember. I'll be overseas starting the 19th for 3 months - so only email at that point

WinKFP tips:

http://www.bimmerret...59b1af840d4a143

http://forums.bimmer...d.php?t=1581998

Parts list:

51169169999 - cic controller trim piece

65829231116 - cic controller

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation upgrade