E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Just picked up my 550 yesterday and drove it home 288 miles with no problems. Navigation worked perfect.
This morning I drive my car and noticed the Map was upside down with true north pointing south and I am in a middle of a lake.

Some how the Nav has lost its North bearing. I tried to switch through all the perspectives but its still screwed up. Is there a reset for the Nav computer?

Any ideas on how to fix this thing?

I will post pics and my buying experience on later on another thread.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

One way to try resetting it is to take out the DVD and later re-insert it. The other way to reset the whole I-Drive system is to push the volume control knob in (like power off for radio) and at the same time press the eject buttons for the DVD drive and also the CD drive eject button.

Those 3 buttons will cause the iDrive to reboot. It should solve the problem.

If you were showing only in the middle of the lake, it might be the gps is mis-informed, but since it is showing upside down image too, it should be reset.

If all that fails, take it back for service.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' post='227140' date='Jan 20 2006, 03:07 PM
One way to try resetting it is to take out the DVD and later re-insert it. The other way to reset the whole I-Drive system is to push the volume control knob in (like power off for radio) and at the same time press the eject buttons for the DVD drive and also the CD drive eject button.

Those 3 buttons will cause the iDrive to reboot. It should solve the problem.

If you were showing only in the middle of the lake, it might be the gps is mis-informed, but since it is showing upside down image too, it should be reset.

If all that fails, take it back for service.
Will doing this procedure miss up all my preset settings I have done?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by TV550' post='227136' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:01 PM
Hi guys,

Just picked up my 550 yesterday and drove it home 288 miles with no problems. Navigation worked perfect.
This morning I drive my car and noticed the Map was upside down with true north pointing south and I am in a middle of a lake.

Some how the Nav has lost its North bearing. I tried to switch through all the perspectives but its still screwed up. Is there a reset for the Nav computer?

Did you check to see if the map somehow was set to face the direction of travel--south? Did the water get inside your car?
Old 01-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='227209
Hi guys,

Did you check to see if the map somehow was set to face the direction of travel--south? Did the water get inside your car?
[/quote]

Nope no water yet. Yeah I tried to do all the different settings for true north, perspective, etc. Nothing works. I rebooted I drive and popped the DVD out and put it back in and the Nav is still screwed up. Is there some kind of calibration thing that you can do? I guess I better make the dreaded BMW service appointment. I was hoping to have no incidents this soon. One day and the Navigation is crapping out. This car howerver is amazing. So far the comfort access, comfort seats, sirus radio, mp3 play back and HUD are my favorite things. The drive is amazing.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by TV550' post='227245
Originally Posted by TV550' post='227136' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:01 PM
Hi guys,

Nope no water yet. Yeah I tried to do all the different settings for true north, perspective, etc. Nothing works. I rebooted I drive and popped the DVD out and put it back in and the Nav is still screwed up. Is there some kind of calibration thing that you can do? I guess I better make the dreaded BMW service appointment. I was hoping to have no incidents this soon. One day and the Navigation is crapping out. This car howerver is amazing. So far the comfort access, comfort seats, sirus radio, mp3 play back and HUD are my favorite things. The drive is amazing.
[/quote]

Are you sure someone didn't throw your GPS unit in the lake?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='227254
Originally Posted by Znod' post='227209' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:02 PM
[quote name='TV550' post='227136' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:01 PM']
Hi guys,

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would like to throw the Navigation unit into the lake. It doesnt make since if the satellites are telling the car where north is why is it showing it in a different direction. I thought I had a scratch on the DVD but its perfect. I did make a back up of it just in case. What do you guys think if I disconnected the battery? THis would cause all the systems to reset. Where is the battery I could not find it? The old three series had the battery in the back on the passenger side trunk.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by TV550' post='227279
Originally Posted by TV550' post='227245' date='Jan 20 2006, 10:16 PM
[quote name='Znod' post='227209' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:02 PM']
[quote name='TV550' post='227136' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:01 PM']
Hi guys,

[/quote]
Wher are you located??? Good luck
cheers
vern

[/quote]

I would like to throw the Navigation unit into the lake. It doesnt make since if the satellites are telling the car where north is why is it showing it in a different direction. I thought I had a scratch on the DVD but its perfect. I did make a back up of it just in case. What do you guys think if I disconnected the battery? THis would cause all the systems to reset. Where is the battery I could not find it? The old three series had the battery in the back on the passenger side trunk.
[/quote]
Old 01-21-2006, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TV550' post='227136' date='Jan 20 2006, 11:01 PM
Hi guys,
This happened to me once in my 330cd, while out driving it went crazy exactly like yours. Over the course of the day it gradually put it's self right, only happened the once !!
Old 01-21-2006, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Rebooting should fix it. My Nav system had that glitch where I am off course twice in 22,000 miles. sometimes the satellite signal gets scrambled.

Quick Reply: Navigation problems please help