E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation problems, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60

Hi guys ,

First of all, I'm new on the forum so I'll introduce myself shortly.
I live in the Netherlands, I'm 19 years old and I have an e60 2004.

My problem:

I've bought the car 2nd handed, allmost 1 year ago. The car was/is still excellent shape except for the fact that the navigation doesn't function. The screen says: 'Medium can not be read' when I put the DVD in it. In the beginning it didn't seem to be a problem, I wanted to enlarge my own navigation and coordination feelings. Later, it felt a bit strange, having a nice car
but the navigation doesn't work. Not a big deal though. But now, I am planning to go on vacation with my car and navigation is a must. I thought that the DVD-reader must be broken, because it plays MP3, CD's work fine.

So I went to the BMW dealer to sort this out. They did some tests and they came up with nothing. The guy said it was mostlikely the DVD-reader which is broken, like I allready thought.
He said that the only way to fix this is to replace the whole system, which costs +- ?2000. That is a lot lot of money, especcialy 1 month before vacation. I've looked around and I found 1 for ?1000, but that is still a lot of money.

My question:
Do I really need to change the whole system? Isn't there a other, cheaper and easier, way to fix this?

I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Make sure the DVD is CLEAN, I had the same issue where my car wouldn't read the nav DVD. The when I was all but ready to give up, I cleaned the DVD with some windex and then put it in....IT WORKED!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Maybe I'm too suspicious (had a bad experience too many with dealers) but have you verified that they (or you) inserted another business or pro navigation DVD, could be the disc itself that is corrupted...

Good luck with solving the issue!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Don't force yourself to get it fixed before vacation. You can always buy a portable GPS for a lot less. Have you search eBay or similar sites for a used one? GL
Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Members

@Mookish: I've tried that, same problem. In fact, the dealer tried several new DVD's and they all gave the same result unfortunately..

@Theo: It's a business edition and the DVD too. Nonetheless, the dealer checkt it out with my key and he even tried both business and professional DVD's, same result... Thanks for your support though

@theXman: As I said in my first post, I've found one for ?1000, pretty expensive. I'll continue my search, but I was wondering if there was another solution.
The plan was to finish the car(replaced a couple things) completely before going on vacation, thus there is no need for a GPS. Thanks for your support too.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

Next I would say to try one of those DVD lens cleaner disks...It can't hurt to try...

A DVD cleaning disc, which is usually purchased separately from the DVD player, is a disc that is covered with incredibly fine microfiber bristles. The bristles, situated on the top of the disc, are used to wipe away any dust or grime in the DVD player. These discs are often recommended as the first troubleshooting method when you are trying to repair a DVD player that is having difficulty reading discs.
Issues With the Lens

DVD players work by projecting a laser beam onto a disc as it spins in the machine. The beam's reflection is read through a lens located above the disc drive. When the DVD player begins to have problems, such as skipping or failing to read discs, the most common issue is that the lens is coated in dust or dirt from DVDs that have been inserted into the machine. The DVD cleaning disc swipes the lens to remove the dust and grime.

When a DVD cleaning disc is inserted into a DVD player, the machine reads it as it would a normal DVD and allows the viewer to select a cleaning-cycle option on its main menu. When the disc begins to spin, the raised bristles on the disc dust the lens. The bristles are soft and fine enough not to scratch the lens. Once the DVD cleaning disc has completed its cycle, the lens should be clean enough to read normal DVDs. Any pieces of dust or dirt that are large enough to cause an issue within the machine should be stuck to the bristles on the cleaning disc.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mookish
Next I would say to try one of those DVD lens cleaner disks...It can't hurt to try...
Hmmm.. but if several new DVD's gave the same problem, I don't think the problem is with the DVD. Nevertheless, It's worth trying! Tnx for the inf
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by try&die
Hmmm.. but if several new DVD's gave the same problem, I don't think the problem is with the DVD. Nevertheless, It's worth trying! Tnx for the inf
Right, it may not be the DVD, it could be the actual lens that needs to be cleaned...the cleaning disk will clean your lens of any dust/dirt...
Old 06-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mookish
Right, it may not be the DVD, it could be the actual lens that needs to be cleaned...the cleaning disk will clean your lens of any dust/dirt...
Wow, I've read that part totally wrong. It really might be the solution. Thanks for pointing this out, it's really appreciated