E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

My car didn't come with Nav either. However, there is a GPS antenna built into the sharkfin and a connection cable in the trunk. My car did initially come with BMW assist so maybe the GPS is from that.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by balbs
My car didn't come with Nav either. However, there is a GPS antenna built into the sharkfin and a connection cable in the trunk. My car did initially come with BMW assist so maybe the GPS is from that.
Balba, talk to me more.... I have BMW assist, well not any longer, SAT radio etc. Did you connect to the shark fin? I would be interested in knowing how if this is possible. I don't recall seeing a cable that would connect to the back of the CCC though. Hopefully, this is something I can purchase. I will run a test over the next days with the antenna taped to the purple free spot to see if this will work. I'm thinking it will. If so, then I could establish something to hold the antenna in place like a toll checker has. In the picture you can see the area to the right and top of mirror, it's also the same on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation problem-photo-15.jpg  

Last edited by tonyb635; 05-15-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Contributors

Check out page 6 post #48 on my thread:

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...nr-pnp-123560/

I bought my CIC kit from bimmer-tech.net. It came with a GPS extension cable that extends the GPS sharkfin cable to the dash.

Last edited by balbs; 05-15-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Balbs - my TCU looks a little different than yours. The unit seems to have all the position filled and there is a smaller box sitting next to it with what appears to be a anttena already connected and one antenna slot empty. I'm assing this would be where I would want to connect the CCC to?

Update: I just check with a guy at work and he told me the TCU could have a 4 pin connector and it looks like my CCC has a single coaxial conector. If this is the case, he is not aware of how you could create a cable to go from a single pin to a four pin. I will have a look this afternoon. If its a single at both ends, then there is no problem and he says a simple coaxial cable will work. The connectors obviously hold the cable in position but they are only color coded so you don't plug a bule into a white.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation problem-img_0081p.jpg   Navigation problem-img_0082p.jpg  

Last edited by tonyb635; 05-16-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Contributors

On your first pic, I think the blue cable at the top may be the GPS to the sharkfin. However, I'm not sure since yours is different. I would contact member Patrys of bimmer-tech and ask him. Also maybe look up the part number of the TCU(s?) in your trunk and maybe a connection layout for it.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a GPS antenna extension cable with Fakra C jack male to female about 5 meters long from ebay for $16 and call it a day. Upgrade to CIC while you at it.

Last edited by dbond; 05-16-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Contributors

I ordered a custom cable from rfsupplier.com
Fakra C Straight Jack on one end and Fakra C Straight Plug on the other. Us a RG174 cable
Old 05-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Look for an open parking lot with a clear view of the sky. Drive in a circle a couple of time. See this thread.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
Look for an open parking lot with a clear view of the sky. Drive in a circle a couple of time. See this thread.
NOPE, read the posts, it's the windshield causing the issue. Besides, if I did that someone would call the police! lol. I have a small clear spot I can use, but I am hoping to get a connection to the shark fin some how.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by balbs
I ordered a custom cable from rfsupplier.com
Fakra C Straight Jack on one end and Fakra C Straight Plug on the other. Us a RG174 cable
Balbs - I checked and I have the single coaxial type at the CCC, when I pulled the TCU out, there are four plugs. Red, Blk/rd, Blue and white. Attached to the side of the TCU there is a small box that has two ports. One looks to be a coaxial cable connection and the other one is vacant. When I look inside this receiver there are four small male pins. This won't connect to the CCC. I hear the type is for a coaxial that has four wires inside and each one of those contact with a pin to do something.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation problem-photo-16.jpg   Navigation problem-photo-17.jpg  

Quick Reply: Navigation problem