E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.
Default Navigation problem

I installed navigation CCC several years ago and all was working perfectly until (I think) yesterday evening. I noticed I was driving in a lake! After playing around with it I could clearly tell that the car position was not correct. I'm assuming this might be a antenna problem. Mine has always been in the speaker cutout in the IP. The only thing that is different s the windshield was replaced last week. No broken glass or mess at all, just a simple glass swap. I ordered from safelite through USAA. Here you go in and select the glass and its all through the Internet. If I recall, my options were HUD, tint stripe, rain sensor and then a moisture controll. They all seemed to have this moisture control... Anyway I chose the OEM glass and it came from BMW. I can't imagine the glass would cause this.

Next step, I just pulled the antenna out and will stick it out the sunroof to see if anything changes.

Does anyone know of anything else to check? Last year I removed the CCC to run a wire and when I reinstalled I didn't get the antenna locked on. It's the exact same effect that I have now. Maybe second step will be to check this.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

maybe try switching out the dvd for a fresh new one, i tried a dvd before and i was driving at some weird places...burned a 2013, and all fine.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I ejected the DVD but everything else seems to work normally just not the ace position of the car. I placed the antenna out the sunroof and still nothing. I'm thinking a bad antenna or connection to CCC or a bad CCC part that reads the antenna info.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Ok I'm thinking it could be a defective antenna. I checked this morning and it still didn't seem to work when out of the sunroof. Not sure if it was still blocked. When I got back to the hotel, I pulled the CCC out and the antenna connection seemed fine. Reinstalled and then pulled antenna head out of IP and held dig out the door. All works normally now. Put it back in the IP and still was ok until I started driving. The it lost it position again! Repeated this and again its working the back in the IP and its seems to be working again. WTF. I will just order a new antenna maybe there is a short somewhere .
Old 05-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your new windshield have purple hue if you look at from outside? I think you got one with 'solar coat' which is metallic coating that effectively blocks not only UV but GPS signal as well.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dbond
Does your new windshield have purple hue if you look at from outside? I think you got one with 'solar coat' which is metallic coating that effectively blocks not only UV but GPS signal as well.
Interesting. I recall it having some kind of s stripe at top but I don't really see it. After the last time paying with it everything seems back to normal. I would think if the glass is actually causing it this would be a problem all the time. But it does seem to be in line with timing of this new glass...
Old 05-04-2013, 05:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 528i xDrive

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Interesting. I recall it having some kind of s stripe at top but I don't really see it. After the last time paying with it everything seems back to normal. I would think if the glass is actually causing it this would be a problem all the time. But it does seem to be in line with timing of this new glass...
Is there a calibration for the Nav, where you drive in a circle? I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Image2Pixel
Is there a calibration for the Nav, where you drive in a circle? I thought I read that somewhere.
+1...I heard driving large figure 8's in a large parking lot can help the GPS regain its position. Similar to doing it on an iPhone.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

Ah, I did read this somewhere on this forum the other year. Last night and this morning everything worked as it is supposed to. Just playing around yesterday, my impression was an intermittent antenna or a damaged antenna cable. I'll be watching it over the next days to see if it reverts back and when the new antenna arrives I'll try the figure 8 thing. The antenna was only $15.00 but I noticed another one for ~ 55.00 that had something like (5X) in the description, but it really didn't clarify the 5X thing. I was thinking maybe it's five times better or faster or whatever?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

OK dbond, I have to say you are correct with the purple hue solar coat. That is what is in the car. When I pull the antenna out and then it starts to work even after I put it back, I am guessing it already has a lock on a good signal but then it turns to a weak or none at all and I lose position. I was noticing an area at the top just to either side of where the mirror mounts that appears to not have this hue. It's almost like a scalopped area. I curious now if this is where your toll checker would go? I read where these devices do not work either. If thats the case, then I could secure the antenna in that area. Otherwise, I would need to route to the rear window which is tinted and might not work there either. Last option would be to have the windshield replaced. I really don't intend to have an antenna mounted on my roof... Can't think of any other options. Not sure what is available in the shark fin. The car did not come with nav so I don't know if there is an actual GPS in there. I called Safelite and I'm just in shock that a windshield company can't explain this hue issue and the effect is can have on other components. I know for a fact that I am not the first one with this glass...

Quick Reply: Navigation problem