E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation Flaw??? Why did it route me on a longer route!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Hi All,

I was traveling from Ohio to MA recently, and the damn Navigation system ended up routing me through a route that seemed so wrong, I had to shut off the system and break out a map. Are our Navigation systems this bad? At one point, it had me routed goign through Manhatten (come on fastest route my butt!!!!!!!!!)

I feel like this system is flawed, or it may just not be able to be trusted.

Which route do a select for the "fastest" route. PS... Does it take into consideration going through NYC was a longer route, and the possibility for traffic could have been higher?

PS... a comparable route was 30 miles shorter and about an hour shorter in time, yet navigation could not come up with the route until I was in the vicinity.

PS...my car is an 06 530i. Bought in Feb. So I thought Navigation was up to speed. Please help..I feel a little ripped off here...
Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jk479' post='267171' date='Apr 10 2006, 11:20 AM
I was traveling from Ohio to MA recently, and the damn Navigation system ended up routing me through a route that seemed so wrong, I had to shut off the system and break out a map. Are our Navigation systems this bad? At one point, it had me routed goign through Manhatten (come on fastest route my butt!!!!!!!!!)

I feel like this system is flawed, or it may just not be able to be trusted.
Some of the fault may have been with the mapping company. The NAV will get you there and some times it will not be the best route but you'll get there. I've also tried it even when I knew where I was going and was shown a better route. The Denso (Toyota/Lexus) units are even worse. Try mapping with Mapquest or google and see if you get the same route (they all use the same mapping company). Flawed might be a bit harsh... but it's not perfect and should be considered a work in progress (or working as designed).
Old 04-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

This type of error occurs very ofter. It is wise to check the highlighted route displayed in your map before taking off.

Sometimes, the nav will direct you to forgo the appropriate exit for the next exit, and then making a u-turn back to the destination. Stupit but true.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I am also seeing some new errors after being updated with Progman 20.02.
I was testing a location I had in the system prior to being updated and knew that it came in at +/- 100 feet. As I knew I was going right by it on Saturday I deceided to test it out. Was off by 2 miles now. So I sat in the parking lot and created a new address for the same place (useing different name so I could keep the original). The next day I drove there using the new place and again it tried to navigate me two miles further - but the opposite further (2 miles south instead of the previous days 2 miles north). What the heck is going on. Now I am going to test all my Nav addresses to see what I get.

My issue does not appear to be the one described in SI B 84 10 05
SI B 84 10 05
Phone, Navigation Systems March 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 10 05 dated November 2005.

(New) designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
CCC Navigation Displays Incorrect Vehicle Position

MODEL
E90, E91 (3 Series) with SA 609 (Navigation System)

E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 (Navigation System)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

SITUATION
The customer may have one or more of the following complaints:

Incorrect vehicle location is displayed.

Map displays only background color, no streets.

Route Guidance cannot be started.

(New) Route cursor moves to incorrect route.

(New) HIP (Host Independent Positioning) module cannot be initialized.

(New) CCC does not update the location when the vehicle is in motion.

The following fault may be stored in the CCC-A (Car Communication Computer ? Applications)

"A062 ? No communication with Hip module"

CAUSE
HIP module software/hardware

(New) PROCEDURE

In the event of a customer complaint diagnose any faults stored using the DIS/GT1.

Update the complete vehicle per SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization, Programming) Procedure B, using Progman 21.00.00 (Target Data Status E060-06-03-510, E89x-06-03-510) or higher.

After programming is completed, It is very important that the vehicle is driven for at least 15 minutes with good GPS reception in order to determine the vehicle location.

If the problem is not resolved, submit a PuMA case to the Electrical Group.

Wait for further instructions from the Electrical Group.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I can't say it's normal. But it happen on most NAV systems I used. Lexus, Acura, MB, and BMW. None of them is perfect.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

It will sometimes get you off a motorway down some narrow roads and then get you back onto the motorway again at a later junction. It would have been faster if you just stayed on the road.
I've also noticed that because TMC will reconfigure the route automatically you get weird and wonderful things happen when you rely only on the NAV.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

You need to let the Nav lady know if you want the shortest route, the fastest route, etc.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

I thought I typed in "Fastest Route", except it was definitely not the fastest by far.

Honestly, if you know the routes you want to use, why can't you program them in there, and have Navigation make a route based on how you want to go.

I learned a tough lesson, and I guess I consider myself lucky that it did not take me 4 hours out of my way.

I feel like writing to BMW and saying, you sold me a device that works right 50 percent of the time...
Old 04-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jk479' post='267295' date='Apr 10 2006, 02:24 PM
I thought I typed in "Fastest Route", except it was definitely not the fastest by far.

Honestly, if you know the routes you want to use, why can't you program them in there, and have Navigation make a route based on how you want to go.

I learned a tough lesson, and I guess I consider myself lucky that it did not take me 4 hours out of my way.

I feel like writing to BMW and saying, you sold me a device that works right 50 percent of the time...
If you like the roads OK and can go as fast as you would like on them, then always choose the shortest route unless you would have to transverse largish cities without freeways or at high-traffic hours.