E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation, English and Desi's

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well anyone born in south asia (India, Paki, Nepal, Srilanka or Bangladesh) is reffered to as a Desi...ABCD stands for American Born Confused Desi..am i a Gora (born brown but Angrez (westerner) at heart) or am I a Desi like my parents where Ghee (solid fat oil) is healthy food, obesity is being prosperus and healthy and Number Two is what we call couterfeit stuff and asking someone how much they make (in public) is the norm.....not to forget engineering and the medical proffesion are our only two life choices......

Now the problem so though my kids Dan (15) and Sara (9) are technically 3rd generation americans (I more feel 2 and a half generations) as I was 7 when we moved to New York....the navigation/voice command system does not want to take commands from me or my wife (keep in mind I have a good clear accent - mostly british as I was in London age 10 thru 16) and my wife actually teaches English (grade 8 and 9) and has a good and strong british accent but the Voice command won't listen to us....we say fm...it brings up the ac settings...we say cd it gives us the map moving north..I even tried saying stupid and it gave us the date settings....my son or daughter from the rear seat say options it gives them options they say fm it gives them option they say presets 1 it plays kiss fm (preset 1) ....what do we need....... a voice system which undertstands the accent from london/south asia/a bit of cokaneee....somebody help me here

Old 09-26-2004, 03:52 AM
JDN
Contributors

No help here, bimmeroc, but I sure like the way you write.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bimmeroc' date='Sep 26 2004, 01:18 AM
Well anyone born in south asia (India, Paki, Nepal, Srilanka or Bangladesh) is reffered to as a Desi...ABCD stands for American Born Confused Desi..am i a Gora (born brown but Angrez (westerner) at heart) or am I a Desi like my parents where Ghee (solid fat oil) is healthy food, obesity is being prosperus and healthy and Number Two is? what we call couterfeit stuff and asking someone how much they make (in public) is the norm.....not to forget engineering and the medical proffesion are our only two life? choices......

Now the problem so though my kids Dan (15) and Sara (9) are technically 3rd generation americans (I more feel 2 and a half generations) as I was 7 when we moved to New York....the navigation/voice command system does not want to take commands from me or my wife (keep in mind I have a good clear accent - mostly british as I was in London age 10 thru 16) and my wife actually teaches English (grade 8 and 9) and has a good and strong british accent but the Voice command won't listen to us....we say fm...it brings up the ac settings...we say cd it gives us the map moving north..I even tried saying stupid and it gave us the date settings....my son or daughter from the rear seat say options it gives them options they say fm it gives them option they say presets 1 it plays kiss fm (preset 1) ....what do we need....... a voice system which undertstands the accent from london/south asia/a bit of cokaneee....somebody help me here

[snapback]38209[/snapback]

Suggestion: Speak slowly, as if explaining something to an old uncle who's gone half deaf.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

I guess you'll have to fake an American accent.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

WOW, hmm well keep in mind that when you give voice commands you have to be in the section for that command. You can say help to see the commands availabale at any time. For instance, in mine if I just issuead a navigation command and then said radio presets one it would not understand because it is in the navigation hierarchy. Does this make any sense?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

I have had similar problems, but I speak with one might call a 'neutral American' accent. I have also found that if you are not close to the mic (as in the driver's seat) it has more problems. Also, if ther AC fan is on loud it will fail to understand.

I want to try that 'help' function to see how that works.

But you're not the only one on the voice difficulty.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I'm just glad the German voice command is actual German and not Bavarian...
Old 09-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 528xi, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package

EDIT

nevermind, delete.

btw, i am pakistani... Moved here when i was 10.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Contributors

gdavis said one of my first thoughts, that the AC fan maybe too high to allow proper recognition. I can't use voice until fan speed is down several notches. I also have problem when sun-roof is open at all. The fan blows right onto the microphone with the port pointed up. The mic is mounted to the roof so wind noise affects it. If a window is open upfront, the noise will reduce accuracy. I would not go straight to an accent problem. If it were, the same error response would occur for each command. Although not obvious, a test with AC off in a quiet place would be my first test. Voice volume is important as is speaking to the mic in the roof. After this, if it miunderstands, your first conclusion is supported.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 26 2004, 10:57 PM
I'm just glad the German voice command is actual German and not Bavarian...? ? ? ?
[snapback]38341[/snapback]
I know what you mean. It is almost like a whole different language. It is german but I can't understand any of it.

I know how you feel bimmeroc. I am southern but raised by my Northern grandmother so my accent if there is one is different. I say Cd and get vent settings half the time. If I say frequency I get display settings most of the time.

It is not just you

Quick Reply: Navigation, English and Desi's